Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #1

2017 redhawk backup camera

Hello folks. started running into a problem with my backup monitor on my redhawk. We would be traveling every thing fine. stop to eat or fuel and dos not come back on. 2-3 days later comes back on. two months later same thing. Spoke with Jayco they gave me a list of Mechanics in my area ( between 1 to 2 hrs away and no one can get me in until after the new year. Called Jayco back explained situation so I asked for a scymatic of the system which they sent me and then asked were the module was and was told it was behind the radio in the dash and they did not know how to get to it the said try a service and repair book on the internet. So right now I am at a loss any body else ever have this problem or know how to get to the module. Thank You gem629
gem629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

We have a 2017 Redhawk as well with the same problem…it’s on…..it’s off for no reason. Seems to work on more often when I’m driving than when my husband is driving. We are having to replace the bedroom side wiper seals (rubber falling apart at the bottoms) and will have our dealer review the camera issues. Will get back after the service appt in mid Nov.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

I ran into the same problem on my 2021 Redhawk 31F during mid-trip cross country. I finally got a cheap $15 rear camera from Walmart and got the trailer light wires (25 ft) and ran it all the way to the back of the head unit in the dash. I used a 7 pin plug battery charging and ground to power the camera since it was already back there. This was a temporary set up until I got back home.

Since then, I ran the camera wires down through the emergency exit window into the coach, ran the wires all along inside the seal of the slide and into the back of the radio. I discovered the 12V+ switched for the rear camera module and used that instead.

I couldn't fully remove the dash bezel to see if the module is back there because the radio won't come out all the way, but just enough to access the RCA video input. I tried to fish tape the wire in the wall, but it was impossible due to the PS foam obstructing it. I just will conceal the wires not in the seals with those things you find at Home Depot to hide wires along the walls.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #4

back up camera

thank you for your reply how did you get the dash bezel off so you can move the radio to get to the module
Old 10-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem629 View Post
thank you for your reply how did you get the dash bezel off so you can move the radio to get to the module
I watched this video to access the back of the radio. Mine is a 2021 model and it was exactly as it was shown. Hope this helps.

Edit: The brake controller harness is behind the compartment cubby above the radio.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #6

back up camera

Thank you for the info it is greatly appreciated. gem629
Old 10-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

There is a 5A fuse under your steering wheel column. Change that to 10A or 15A and no issues after that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	No signal.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	76531

Click image for larger version

Name:	camera fuse.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	76532
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
There is a 5A fuse under your steering wheel column. Change that to 10A or 15A and no issues after that.
Attachment 76531

Attachment 76532
Thanks. If it's a fuse problem, then how does it explain it coming back on? A lower amp fuse would blow...thus disconnecting the power until another fuse is put into place. The intermittent on/off would suggest a bad ground possibly?