Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

2017 Seneca Bedroom TV

Okay I've seen many issues about channels not available through a scan process. So my issues is similar, the 2017 Seneca has the Digital OTA antenna. I'm able to scan both cable and OTA channels for the front TV. The bedroom I scanned it this morning for cable only and it found all the 20 or so channels, no issues. The cable receptions is pretty fuzzy here and I asked if someone can stop by and check my post, they did by bringing a small TV and plugged it into my post (now I did not see the quality of the reception) but the gentlemen told me its working and then saw my cable and said It has may bad bends and kinks in the cable and this could cause bad reception. I went to WalMart and purchased a new 50' RG-6 cable. This made a small difference. I then connected the old cable to my neighbors post and connected it directly to the front TV and still fuzzy. So I think this is camp site issue. So back to my main issue, after doing all that the bedroom TV can no longer do a successful scan for either the Cable or OTA antenna. I did a rescan because no cable channels were available that were picked up before all this. Yes I am aware of turning the amp on when using OTA antenna and off when using cable. I went as far as to going back to Wally-World and bought a new 6' coax cable for the bedroom TV and this did not resolve the issue as I knew this would not but had to try.

So any Ideas people?
Thank you
John
Boy
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

What happens if you take your 50' RG-6 and connect the TV directly to the campground pedestal? I mean, disconnect the existing RG-6 from the back of the TV and run your new cable direct - TV to pedestal?

That's one way to remove the components in the middle that could be messing up the signal.

If the picture is still fuzzy then it's the new cable (low odds), the TV (lower odds) or the campground (most likely). Then repeat for the second TV.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Are you trying to isolate the bedroom TV or watch the same station as the main tv or the outside TV? If you are watching the same programs on all TVs, I'd use the HDMI connections.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

Booster off?

I would suggest that you check the OTA booster to make sure it is off. It helps when watching OTA, but when you try to watch cable, it makes the screen extremely fuzzy and unwatchable. I had to figure that one out on my first trip where I had a cable hookup. The booster should be behind the front TV and normally has a green light on when the booster is on.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
What happens if you take your 50' RG-6 and connect the TV directly to the campground pedestal? I mean, disconnect the existing RG-6 from the back of the TV and run your new cable direct - TV to pedestal?

That's one way to remove the components in the middle that could be messing up the signal.

If the picture is still fuzzy then it's the new cable (low odds), the TV (lower odds) or the campground (most likely). Then repeat for the second TV.
pconroy,
I think its the RV site some stations come in great then they get fuzzy and the great again. We had steady rain for over 1 1/2 days not sure if thats the cause. I did hook up my old 100' kink up cable directly to the pedestal and still fuzzy wussy. I plan on buying another 50' later this week but after watching the picture go from good to bad to good its the site problem.

Thank you
Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Are you trying to isolate the bedroom TV or watch the same station as the main tv or the outside TV? If you are watching the same programs on all TVs, I'd use the HDMI connections.
Rgolding,
My understanding is the HDMI is only used for the DVD or other items connected to the HDMI switch (Dish / Direct Box) I don't think the cable TV or the OTA channels use the HDMI switch they use the Coax wiring. HDMI uses the Cat 5/6. So the issue really is not the fuzzy picture as much as the inability of the bedroom TV to scan for cable channels or OTA.
Thank you,
John
Boy
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
I would suggest that you check the OTA booster to make sure it is off. It helps when watching OTA, but when you try to watch cable, it makes the screen extremely fuzzy and unwatchable. I had to figure that one out on my first trip where I had a cable hookup. The booster should be behind the front TV and normally has a green light on when the booster is on.
Hi JVtech,

Yes I am aware of the OTA booster in fact if you have the the OTA on and select cable on the TV you'll get no signal found and Vise-Versa. From my other response it's the the RV site for sure.
My real question now is the inability to scan OTA or Cable on the bedroom TV when just the same day (yesterday I was able to) So the cable and OTA uses the coax in the Seneca to transmit the signal but the source is coming from 2 different suppliers. I'm going to get another 50' coax and connect it to the bedroom TV and the pedestal and scan for cable channels again and making sure the OTA boaster is off.

I also have the 2017 Seneca wiring from Jayco my have to look through that depending on the scan test. This could be the TV. Oh yea I did try the DVD using the HDMI connection and this does work. DVD plays.

Thanks all

John
Boy
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
Rgolding,
My understanding is the HDMI is only used for the DVD or other items connected to the HDMI switch (Dish / Direct Box) I don't think the cable TV or the OTA channels use the HDMI switch they use the Coax wiring. HDMI uses the Cat 5/6. So the issue really is not the fuzzy picture as much as the inability of the bedroom TV to scan for cable channels or OTA.
Thank you,
John
Boy
For now, that's my understanding too - the OTA is coming from the digital Jack antenna over RG-6. As is the cable feed from outside.

If you went direct to the pedestal for both LR AND Bedroom TVs - and only the Bedroom TV has trouble then, yeah, it's probably something up with the bedroom TV.

I have noticed that although both TVs in our Greyhawk are Furrions, they're different models. And even tho' they look like the have the same firmware, they do behave differently.

The LR TV can pull in an OTA station that the bedroom TV cannot. Hasn't bugged me enough to dig into it. I'm assuming, but can't know for sure, that the booster is feeding both TVs.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
For now, that's my understanding too - the OTA is coming from the digital Jack antenna over RG-6. As is the cable feed from outside.

If you went direct to the pedestal for both LR AND Bedroom TVs - and only the Bedroom TV has trouble then, yeah, it's probably something up with the bedroom TV.

I have noticed that although both TVs in our Greyhawk are Furrions, they're different models. And even tho' they look like the have the same firmware, they do behave differently.

The LR TV can pull in an OTA station that the bedroom TV cannot. Hasn't bugged me enough to dig into it. I'm assuming, but can't know for sure, that the booster is feeding both TVs.
pconroy,
Thanks for the info about the OTA in the bedroom WOW. Today I went and purchased an LG BlueRay for the bedroom. I don't know what Jayco is thinking by having the DVD in the Living room and being able to control it from the bedroom when the player's remote is IR. Anyway tomorrow I'll try hooking the bedroom to the pedestal with the new coax cable to make sure the issue is not the old bent up coax cable that is now in the trash. Boy I can't wait to connect up the dish later this year or next year to for more fun LOL. I have already read many post on this.

Thanks
John
Boy
Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #10

Check all RG-6 cables for loose connections, especially from behind LR TV to BR TV, DVD Player and the amplifier. This includes behind the wall plates too. One loose connection can cause "fuzzy" reception and signals to fade in and out.
Is this a new RV? I have seen nails/staples through cables too.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7349 View Post
Check all RG-6 cables for loose connections, especially from behind LR TV to BR TV, DVD Player and the amplifier. This includes behind the wall plates too. One loose connection can cause "fuzzy" reception and signals to fade in and out.
Is this a new RV? I have seen nails/staples through cables too.
Hi John
Thanks for the advice
The Fuzzy picture is cause by the RV site. Today the local news picture is much better than the past 3 days. There is still some fuzzyness but I get this when I'm connected to the Pedestal. So....
Today I'm going to see if I can scan for channels in the beedroom VIA the cable and OTA. Because that's the main issue. Don't really care about the OTA Scan as much as the cable scan. But once I connect the Dish later this year or next this basically becomes a moot point LOL. Also bought a BlueRay player for the beedroom. Yes I know one can use the one in the living room VIA the HDMI connections but you can't control it from the bedroom because the player is IR controlled vs RF controlled.
Yes its a new Seneca and this is it's maiden trip (only 20 miles from our home)
Per Pconroy about OTA

Thanks,
John
Boy
Old 05-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #12

I connected to the bedroom TV to the Pedestal and it scan successfully and channels available. I then connected the cable from the pedestal back to the RV, the channels on the main TV were still intact and signal was available. The bedroom nope no channels no signal. I then tried scanning for channels on the outside TV, that failed as well. Seeing that I was able to scan the bedroom TV successfully when I arrived and no I can't and the outside TV failed too. I believe the issue could be a loose connection at the splitter or lose connections at the wall plates. Does anyone know where the splitter is located in a 2017 Seneca? My model is the 37TS, don't know if the model makes a difference in the location of the splitter. I believe I have the coax wiring diagram from Jayco I'll check that for the splitter location Thanks in advance for any info!
John
Boy
Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #13

I looked at the Coax diagram that was sent to me from Jayco about 3 months ago. The diagram did not show the location of the coax spliter. So, does anyone out there know the location of the spliter? I put the beast away after spending 7hrs or so yesterday putting the 1st wax on it. Oh what fun. The weather was perfect here in Colorado. But now they are calling for rain/snow for the rest of the week I have plans on working on the beast memorial weekend before our next trip sometime in late June. At that time I'll mess around with the cable TV scan issues that I've posted here.

Thanks for any assistance
John
Boy
Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #14

I know on our 2017 29MV the The Coax from the video in from pedestal went to booster and was tied into the top OTA antenna. from there it went to this black box splitter (in cabinet behind main TV) then it turned into RCA. Yellow(video)/ Red(left)/Wht (right) then was split to multiple TV,s.

so the black RCA splitter box has 2 inputs. DVD player from console, main TV RCA outs, and 2 outputs Bedroom TV , outside TV jack

I'm doing this from memory as I also had to track video issues. this black splitter is in a mess of wires and the yellow connections can wiggle loose with travel
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
So, does anyone out there know the location of the spliter?

Huge disclaimer: I don't know... but...

Thinking that Jayco would be looking for ways to reduce cost - putting the splitter as close as possible to the first TV(*) should reduce RG6 costs, I'd think.

Which every TV is closest to the antenna - I'd pop off the cabinet back behind it. Follow the RG6 from the TV and into the wall - and that's where I'd start.

But again - my huge disclaimer - this is a wild guess!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
But now they are calling for rain/snow for the rest of the week
I'm bringing our beast home tonight and will just plug it in and keep it above freezing.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #17

I know this is an old thread but I need some help with my 2017 37TS. Can someone tell me where the antenna booster is located? I have looked behind the swing out main TV and the bedroom TV to no avail. Also can someone tell me where the cable splitter is located. For info, I have the standard cabover bunk not the entertainment cabinets.

Thanks
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #18

Should be in cabinet above the TV. Behind the dvd player, you might have to climb up there to find it.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Should be in cabinet above the TV. Behind the dvd player, you might have to climb up there to find it.
looked there but nothing. all cables and wires come directly thru the wall and there does not appear that a mounting box for the amplifier ever existed.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
I know this is an old thread but I need some help with my 2017 37TS. Can someone tell me where the antenna booster is located? I have looked behind the swing out main TV and the bedroom TV to no avail. Also can someone tell me where the cable splitter is located. For info, I have the standard cabover bunk not the entertainment cabinets.

Thanks
On my 2014 TS I have the Winegard Sensar antenna ("Batwing") antenna and on that model the actual "amplifier" is located in the head of the antenna itself. The "power injector" which supplies power to the amplifier through the coax is panel-mounted up behind the TV (when retracted) and has the switch and small indicator light on it. That same panel has the output coax connection on the face for the bunk TV. The backside of that panel is where the coax lead up to the antenna head connects; the "Set 2" coax connects; and the coax lead from the "Cable" connection (in the wet bay) connects. Another coax splitter is located in the area behind the plate splitting the "Set 2" output coax leading to the bedroom and outside TVs. It is a huge jumble of wires in there including power wires, a bunch of RCA cables, and all the coax leads. That same area is also where the splitter/amplifier (RiverPark AVS050HD) for all of the video/audio RCA cables is located. A real mess indeed!

I know Jayco later switched to a system using HDMI (ehternet?) cables to route the signals around versus my coax and RCA cable mess, so later models may be completely different. But my bunk TV cable connection plate is very obvious up there behind the bunk TV.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote