Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV Questions

Hi All,
Just pulled the trigger on a new 2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV and have some questions.

1) The 29MV I bought must be an earlier 2019 model as it does not have the slide toppers installed. It appears all the new 2019 Greyhawks have them installed at the factory now (see the one for sale at Haylett RV in MI). My question is what slide toppers are people using on the 2018/2019 29MV and how do you like them?

2) I'm also considering replacing the factory steel wheels (and associated stainless steel wheel liners) with Alcoa aluminum wheels (well, at least 4 of the 6 wheels that is). I realize that I will not be able to easily rotate the tires if I do this but if the new steel wheel liners are anything like the old ones I had on a past motorhome, I'll gladly give that up for the convenience of not having to hassle with the liners when checking tire pressure. Our old motorhome liners were a huge PIA because of the way they attached to the wheels. My question on this one is what are your experiences with maintaining air pressure with the liners in place?

3) The 2019 Greyhawks dropped the keyless entry that was on the 2018 so I'm considering upgrading this myself. Anybody done this on a late model Greyhawk and, if so, what product did you buy and do you like it?

4) It seems Jayco can't seem to find a reliable "infotainment" system for the Greyhawk. The 2018 had the Garmin RV-BBT601 and the 2019 comes with the Soundstream VRN-65HB. Both have lots of bad press out there. I recently installed the Kenwood DDX9704S Apple CarPlay/Android Auto capable head unit in my 4-Runner and absolutely love it. Anybody tried swapping the Garmin or Soundstream head units that come in the 2018/2019 Greyhawk with a higher end head unit like Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine? Did all the features from the original head unit (like front/side cameras, outside speakers, etc) still work after the swap? What head unit did you use? Do you use CarPlay? Are you happy with it?

5) The 2019 Greyhawk comes pre-wired for roof solar panels. Anybody added solar panels and, if so, what did you use and are you happy with the solution?

6) Related to question #5 above, how many coach batteries (1 or 2) can be installed in the 2019 Greyhawk? If you added solar to your unit, what batteries are you using (AGM, LiON, etc)? Did you have to upgrade the factory converter/charger as well?

7) And while we're on the battery topic, does the Greyhawk charge the chassis battery as well as the coach battery/batteries while plugged into shore power? My old 2006 Winnebago Adventurer did not so I added a device that did. Very convenient.

Well, That's about all I have for now. Can't wait to pick the new unit up (it's a couple thousand miles away from me). And many thanks in advance for any responses, suggestions, comments, etc.

Regards, Ron
Old 11-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

I used solara slide toppers on mine. Did my own in stall for about 650. Not hard to do, with sons help. Saved half .
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

I love my keyless entry, but mines a 2018, so it came with it. I sure like what they did to the cargo doors on the 2019. I dont know what they were thinking before!!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

The garmins ok, kind of goofy, but still usable.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
I used solara slide toppers on mine. Did my own in stall for about 650. Not hard to do, with sons help. Saved half .
Do you have the details for what parts you used/ordered for the Solera Sliders and where did you buy them?
Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Ordered on amazon. One 12.5 and one 7.5 ft. Comes with everything except sealing tape. Watch utube install video.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #7

Welcome...great choice in motorhomes! Love our 29mvp!

Answer to question number 7 is no...the chassis battery does not charge unless the motorhome engine is running.

Do a search as many or all of these questions have been answered in detail here on the forum before.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you like your new home on wheels!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #8

Hello Ron, as The Cabinetmaker said, great choice. We are just getting all the bugs worked out of our 2018 29MVP and we love it so far. He was also correct regarding how much is here in the forum for all the things you asked but specifially #5 I can share this:

Like many things, my solar set up is a work in progress but what I did was put a "Y" connector in the cabinet next to the main battery. I only have 1 100 watt flexible panel right now but by adding the "Y" connector I have the ability to throw it up on the roof and plug it in or run a 20' cable out the bottom and set up the panel on the ground. It really just depends on where the best sun is. Right now I'm about 50/50 on the best spot for it.

As for the batteries it seem like a lot of people are really happy with the AGM batteries and there is a ton of information on set-ups and brands. I went with the Lithium batteries and so far so good. Not sure about the AGM's but you will have to change the converter/charger if you go with Lithium.

Good luck to you.
RobieMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #9

We have a 2019 29MV and putting in a keyless door lock was one of the first things we did. It sits crooked, which hurts my OCD but if I wanted to adjust it, it would take cutting some of the foam insulation (it did require a bit of filing of the fiberglass shell to get it in) but we're really pleased with it. It's an RVLock brand and more expensive than some of the junk on Amazon, but seems to be really well made and the customer service has been good. Our door sticks quite badly - we got stuck in the RV and had to go out the cab doors one time - but I thin that's the door and not the latch. Anyway, RVLock is having a 40% off everything sale tomorrow midnight (tonight) until noon tomorrow mountain time. Great time to get one - we'll be getting cargo locks when the clock strikes.
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #10

We have a 2019 greyhawk 30x. It didn't come with keyless entry so we installed rvlock.com lock. Works great and a much better fit than the OEM lock.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

I am thinking of putting 100w flex solar panel on top using the Wired For Solar connection mainly so I can charge my house battery(ies). I checked the converter in my 2019 Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP and it is a Progressive Dynamics Charger model PD9260C. PD website claims they have verified this charger (with total charge management system) is compatible with lead acid, AGM and gel cell batteries and that they have verified compatibility with all battery manufacturers. The equalization mode on the charger is set to be compatible with AGM batteries. This unit is not compatible with lithium batteries. They do offer a plug and play replacement if that is the route one chooses.
CINCEARTH is offline   Reply With Quote