Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

2020 Greyhawk Prestige - Cold temps?

Good morning everyone!

We bought a new 2020 greyhawk 31 fp last weekend and pick it up a week from today.

This is our first driveable camper and I'm confused on winter camping. One of our sales guys said that it has all the plumbing above the floor and therefore as long as we keep the inside heated, we don't have to worry about anything freezing.

On this forum and many Facebook groups, I hear the opposite. Is this because he was full of it? Or am I maybe reading stories about older campers and the pipes inside the camper is a new thing? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Take a peak under the chassis and see if you see exposed Plex pipes. On my 31fs there are plenty. If there are, you have a chance of freezing more so than if it was enclosed. I've never been camping while freezing, but in speaking with different people you need to be in sub ~28 degrees for several hours before it's an issue. Wind plays a factor and using water plays a factor. Pipes will flex but valves/angles that are formed hard plastic will most likely break first because they won't give to expanding freezing water. Little bit of ice won't be an issue, but if it blocks a line or freezes through where the ice is expanding past the size of the line, then you got a problem.

Some people wrap exposed line with pipe insulation, others use heated tape. That will buy you some additional degrees, not sure how much. Just need to be sure you get it all as it's only as good as the weakest link.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

X2
Do not use any water systems if you are below freezing for extended periods of time. Wintering only takes 30 minutes with the pink stuff. You will hear lots who never have issues but it only takes once to cause you a lot of headaches.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

There's plenty of exposed PEX under my rig too.

It's hilarious working under there looking at the tank heaters, and then seeing all the exposed PEX lines. Sometimes you just have to shake your head.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

It's hilarious working under there looking at the tank heaters, and then seeing all the exposed PEX lines. Sometimes you just have to shake your head.
I thought it was just me who saw that too. Tank heaters on the bottom of the tanks, but totally exposed water lines running all over the place.

Where do they get their engineers?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I thought it was just me who saw that too. Tank heaters on the bottom of the tanks, but totally exposed water lines running all over the place.

Where do they get their engineers?
Sales gimmicks.

"Look! It's got the tank heater option! ... no, no, don't look over there..."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

I’ve always thought the tank heaters were a waste of time/money. I still don’t see where you’d really use them w/o fear of all the other lines underneath freezing.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’ve always thought the tank heaters were a waste of time/money. I still don’t see where you’d really use them w/o fear of all the other lines underneath freezing.
Exactly! I think they are a sales gimmick too.

My water fresh water tank is right behind the driver's seat, and my water pump is at the far rear of the rig. A tank heater wouldn't do squat, as the exposed water line would freeze between the tank and pump, if the temps were below freezing.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
we don't have to worry about anything freezing.

He's probably full of... I mean he's probably misinformed.

We're winter camping right now - and as usual - the answer is it depends.
Our 31FK has exposed pipes but seems to tolerate weather into the mid-20's and up.

It's frozen up a few times we've camped into the mid teens (*F).

It really depends on just how cold it's going to get and for how long. If you're camping and keeping the inside toasty, then a lot of heat radiates out.

If it's super cold then there other systems to worry about besides the pipes. The fridge and water heater to name two.

Here it's low 40's during the day, so we camp 'as usual'. Last night and tonight it will hit the low 20's so I'm just going to winterize (pump RV antifreeze through everything) before I go to bed. It takes me about 10 minutes.

Then we just flush it all out in the morning. $6 of RV antifreeze each night, for peace of mind, is worth it.