Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2022, 03:21 PM   #1

2022 Entegra Odyssey 31F Nightmare!

Purchased new in October. First trip the water heater and fridge broke. In the shop for two weeks. Second trip the slide broke, and the jacks wouldn’t retract. Had to find a mobile mechanic on Sunday in the middle of the sand dunes, on my dime obviously. Had to remove motor and manually retract etc. Got it home. Tried to schedule service. First available appointment is 30 days out. Haven’t been able to use my brand new unit for a full trip yet. Super frustrating! I think these 22’s are just getting pumped out too fast! The repair guy said underneath the coach, he’s never seen wiring done that carelessly, zip ties, hanging etc.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #2

My 2019 29MVP went thru a multitude of issues. Most of which were just plain sloppy workmanship. What you have described is par for the course with new Jayco units. Don't look under the bed.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #3

I had ordered in November of 2020. My Melbourne 24LP came off the line in the first month. For the most part I've been pleased. But the fascia boards have popped off. The drawers don't stay closed at all. Those complaints are small potatoes though, I know. The electric under the bed, both AC and DC is a true mess but I'm guessing they install all of them like that. It all worked. I feel for you @bates. My unit got stuck at the Mercedes Dealership for two weeks because of a vacuum hose. But that was only two weeks. I'd be really ticked off with what you're going through.
I'm guessing as the pressure to provide product got worse in 2021 they really started cranking them out.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Purchased new in October. First trip the water heater and fridge broke. In the shop for two weeks. Second trip the slide broke, and the jacks wouldn’t retract. Had to find a mobile mechanic on Sunday in the middle of the sand dunes, on my dime obviously. Had to remove motor and manually retract etc. Got it home. Tried to schedule service. First available appointment is 30 days out. Haven’t been able to use my brand new unit for a full trip yet. Super frustrating! I think these 22’s are just getting pumped out too fast! The repair guy said underneath the coach, he’s never seen wiring done that carelessly, zip ties, hanging etc.
"Nightmare" sounds like an accurate description of your experience. I hope Jayco/Thor makes things right for you without driving you crazy.

When you look at a new RV what you can see looks clean and neat. When you look under something it looks like a bomb went off.

I agee with you about "getting pumped out to fast!". But it's not just the 2022's, that's been going on for some time. I'm probably going with a used unit next time - less trouble and AGGRAVATION. ... don't really care any more what brand it is if things work.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #5

Thanks, I appreciate it. It’s just a bummer. We go to the sand dunes over the winter, and my two boys got new quads for Christmas and we won’t be able to even complete one trip all season at this rate!
Old 01-08-2022, 08:10 AM   #6

Do you know what is wrong with the water heater? Mine in my 2022 Entegra Odyssey failed first trip as well. I replaced the circuit board but it still doesn't work.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #7

I’ll look at my paperwork. I thought they replaced the circuit as well. It does work correctly now.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #8

I'm leaning towards the thermal cutoff now. They are cheap, 4 for $11.

I have always turned RV water heaters on when needed, this time I left it on. Cold showers suck, so I will go back to turning on as needed.

I am going to have spare CB, thermal cutoff and tstat/ECO ($10) All relatively cheap parts to keep on hand...
Old 01-11-2022, 07:37 AM   #9

My issue was the thermal cutoff. To test, these should show 0 ohms when good, open when they fail. Best I can figure is that we left the water heater on all night and we had wind blowing right into the water heater.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #10

Well.. at least on thermal cutoff Jayco/Entegra coach is consistent on the failure. Mine has that issue too when I was in YellowStone. Reason for the cutoff is those cables around water heater just scatter everywhere. once it touch the mental part of the burner it sense "hot" and cut off.. When I was in YellowStone I have no replacement so I just cut that off and connect directly. Risky but it worked.
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #11

The thermal cutoff and water heater is NOT a jayco issue....Its the water heater issue and a simple adjustment that most don't know is needed

But blame who you want.....it's a house in a constant earthquake... Things move around a lot
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
The thermal cutoff and water heater is NOT a jayco issue....Its the water heater issue and a simple adjustment that most don't know is needed

But blame who you want.....it's a house in a constant earthquake... Things move around a lot
What is the adjustment?
Old 01-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #13

Can't have water dripping on it, move it away if you get any drips from the drain plug..
Too close to flame is not good either

I'm always checking mine to adjust it

In my 3 years it's not a forget it item..and I'm on my original cutoff
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #14

I know all RVs over the years have problems. I was talking to a dealer last fall and asking about Jayco quality after Thor bought them. He was trying to tell me nothing changed. But with all the problems I see people are having, I'm wondering if that is really true. I had one Thor motorhome and was far from impressed.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:01 PM   #15

About the water heater failing, I went through the same on my Entegra Odyssey. First I replaced the heating element and NOPE, that wasn't it. After some research I found that the relay was bad. It wasn't too hard to reach but that did the trick. The relay they use in my opinion is not heavy enough to carry the 120V amperage directly to the heating element. So, I would strongly suggest carrying a spare. I would also carry a thermal fuse as a spare just in case also.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote