Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Adding 2nd AC onto our 2018 Greyhawk 30x.

One mistake we did when we bought our 2018 Greyhawk 30x was we did not purchase the two AC option. Well after months of research and reviewing countless discussion on the forum we decide that it was time to add that 2nd AC. Living in eastern PA we typically only need the one most of the time, however last year even in Maine we could have used the second one to help cut the heat. This year we have Myrtle beach on the schedule so no need to say any more about needing 2nd AC. I have found several items that need to be purchased to make this a successful project. The parts are on order and I will submit photos and a debrief when competed. The dealer wanted around $2800 to covert the single AC to the dual air option. And they were going to keep the existing AC unit, no credit. To me that seemed a little high so I started digging into this. Here is what has taken place and is currently underway.

I inspected and verified all wiring and supports are already in place for the rear air. The power management system will easily handle the two new AC units since they only pull 9.5 amp each. That will still leave me more than enough amps for the hot water and fridge. Typically we use the gas for hot water anyway, seems like a faster recovery. The Power Management system should shed power to the rear AC first if amps exceed 30. That is the current setting in the power management system and I can change that around.

1. Ordered two Coleman Mach 1 Power Saver 11,000btu Ac units $650/each.
2. Ordered an AC only control unit for the rear AC. $70
3. Ordered a new AC only digital thermostat to control the real unit. $112
4. Not ordered yet but will need a new ceiling assembly for the rear unit. Non duct. I will not be tapping into the duct in the ceiling. I want this unit to blow into the bedroom only. estimated $80
5. Ordered a replacement digital AC/Heat thermostat for the front unit. the existing one has both electric heat and gas. When I am completed I will not need the electric option. $60
6. AC / Heat control unit for front AC. I have not bought this yet. I think I can reuse the existing controller that is in the AC unit now. We will see.

Removal of the Max fan in the rear and replaced with one of the AC units. I need to install the AC only control, install AC only wall thermostat, and ceiling assembly. Will test to verify proper operation and amperage draw.

Remove and replace existing AC unit in main cabin area.. This one will be ducted into the ceiling duct using the existing ceiling assembly. I am not sure if I will need to replace the control unit or not since the unit has the heat pump option. My thought is it is simply a wire connection for the electric heat and can be disconnected with out issue. Replace the wall thermostat with the new AC/Heat thermostat (no electric heat). Test operation and amperage draw. Then test both and verify proper and expected amperage draw. I am estimating no higher than 20amps

I may relocate the max fan for the bathroom fan. Still thinking on that one.

So I am figuring I will be into the project for about $1,700 or so. Plus I can sell the 1 yr old 15,000 btu Mach AC heat pump unit that I am pulling off the motorhome.

One thought I had was Coleman has a MACH 3 power saver which draws 10.2 amps. I was going back and forth between that or the Mach 1. I decided to go with the MACH 1 because that is what the factory was installing and it frees up some more amps. Folks on the forums that have the dual AC option have stated that the Mach 1 11,000 btu works very well so we went with them.

Will update in a few weeks.
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

Just a thought...

Is the amp draw on your existing AC at start up or while it’s running? If it’s the start up draw, you could keep it and install the micro air easy start and save some money and extra work.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
We have the dual 11k Mach I power savers, and they work well. We have not yet been through a Florida summer day, but i’m hoping they will be able to carry the load. I’ve thought about swapping them out for the Mach 3 PS. The difference in amp draw is 1 amp each. After the summer i’ll decide if the 11ks will suffice in Florida summers
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #4

We just picked up a 2019 30X and will most likely will regret not having 2 AC units. I'm sure we can make do in Maine for a week of camping over the 4th and two months on Cape Code should be easier, but I expect next year we'll be exploring another AC unit for a cross country trip to the Grand Canyon
BuckleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #5

Any ideas on how to run the AC line from the roof vent to the storage compartment? I have the 29xk and I'm thinking about adding the second AC.
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereri View Post
Any ideas on how to run the AC line from the roof vent to the storage compartment? I have the 29xk and I'm thinking about adding the second AC.
I am not running a separate power line for the AC. I am using what is already installed and is terminated in the circuit box with a 20amp breaker on it. I want to be able to fire up both AC units from the 30amp service either land or generator.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Just a thought...

Is the amp draw on your existing AC at start up or while it’s running? If it’s the start up draw, you could keep it and install the micro air easy start and save some money and extra work.
With the original unit 15,000 btu /heatpump I pull around 14 amps while cooling. Start up is around 19 and only for a second or two. So with adding just the secondary AC on and that pulling 9.5 amps puts me too close to the 30amp limit. I then have very little amperage left for hot water or refrigerator. I have to replace both AC units to maintain the proper amperage. I thought of trying it but I got a good deal for two units.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #8

Well both AC units were delivered this week. I have the new ceiling assembly, cool only controller, & both thermostats (one for heat and cool and one for cool only). Installation will be taking place this weekend.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleUp View Post
We just picked up a 2019 30X and will most likely will regret not having 2 AC units. I'm sure we can make do in Maine for a week of camping over the 4th and two months on Cape Code should be easier, but I expect next year we'll be exploring another AC unit for a cross country trip to the Grand Canyon
Congrats on the new purchase. We love the 30x. Had to do some mods. Biggest issue I had to have corrected was the alignment. That was a must. One other thing that was a must was I adjusted the Hellwig helper springs. That also made a huge improvement in handling. I attached a link to the other post I had for the mods I did on our 30x.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-59578.html
Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereri View Post
I added a 2nd AC to our 29xk a couple of years back. What year is your MH? Ours is a 2017.

I was able to run the line through the ceiling into the upper cabinets, down the wardrobe and into the cargo area. PM me if you want and we can connect and talk through the details if you want.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #11

I may be out of place here, but!!! I would try something like this if you have the space. I would run a wire of some kind through the wall and plug it into its own 110v outlet on the park pedastal. This approach may save you a few dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-MO0...s%2C244&sr=8-3
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #12

Installation completed today. It took about 4 hours and I am very happy with the end results. With both AC units on high cooling I was only pulling 17-18 amps. It took a little elbow grease to get the Lap off of the fan in the bedroom ceiling but once I got started it came off fairly easily. We used a tractor with a front load bucket to lift the units onto the roof and remove the existing unit. I had to wire up the rear AC, thermostat and AC controller. All the wire was in the wall and up in the ceiling so it was pretty straight forward. The forward AC unit, I was able to reuse the existing Controller but replaced the Thermostat so it no longer had the heat pump option to toggle through. So now we just wait until our first outing of the year in a few weeks to really get a good test.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0082.jpg   IMG_0085.jpg   IMG_0099.jpg   IMG_0103.jpg   IMG_0104.jpg  

IMG_0100.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

now to sell the Mach 15 15,000 btu Heat Pump.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I may be out of place here, but!!! I would try something like this if you have the space. I would run a wire of some kind through the wall and plug it into its own 110v outlet on the park pedastal. This approach may save you a few dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-MO0...s%2C244&sr=8-3
I did pretty much this.

Bought a lightly used portable AC unit off Craigslist.
Hardest part was figuring out a good way to vent the hot exhaust.

I put it to work last year and it'll work for us.
Not as good as two AC units, but it'll do.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

A/c Coleman thermostat

I am looking for a Coleman thermostat that has a/c cool electric heat and gas heat, if anyone is replacing theirs on a 2 a/c upgrade I will buy your old one

Contact
Gordie, 661 874 8361
Or avfordguy@yahoo.com
Avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I did pretty much this.

Bought a lightly used portable AC unit off Craigslist.
Hardest part was figuring out a good way to vent the hot exhaust.

I put it to work last year and it'll work for us.
Not as good as two AC units, but it'll do.
How did you end up venting the exhaust? I have frameless windows which I suspect would be a problem.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
How did you end up venting the exhaust? I have frameless windows which I suspect would be a problem.
I have the frameless too.

I ended up spending time in the woodshop. 1/4" plywood sheet cut down to be slightly larger than the screen on the lower left side of the LR window.

I fashioned up some fastners so I could clamp the plywood onto the window opening with the screen removed. Essentially I made a replacement screen out of ply.

Then I cut the large 5" AC vent hole in the plywood and mounted the plastic exhaust nozzle.

So, the portable AC unit rolls out and next to the window. I remove the window screen and mount the plywood. The AC exhaust hose then plugs into the plastic exhaust nozzle and vents out.

I think I have some pictures already on this site.
I'll look for them.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #18

re-uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
portable_ac_1.jpg   portable_ac_2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #19

Having purchased the '16 Greyhawk 29MV with only one AC, we struggled in Roswell, NM on the '16 Fourth of July at 117*. We went to our RV guy at the end of that summer and had a 13,500 BTU unit (with heat pump) installed over the bedroom area. I chose to keep the original front 15,000 BTU AC in place.

I chose to run wiring from that rear AC to a point outside and near the rear bumper on the left side. A plug was installed that would allow me to use a 10 gauge extension cord to a separate outside electrical source. What this setup does is allow me to use the rear AC (or heat pump) and have 30 amps available for everything in the kitchen area. Naturally, if both AC units are in use, the amperage to the kitchen area is reduced somewhat but still sufficient because the rear AC is on a separate power source.

Along with two AC units (15,000 & 13,500), I have two heat pumps. This worked very well this past February down to 39* outside temps without the need for the propane furnace or additional heaters. (We do not camp if there is a potential for freezing conditions)

The Fan-tastic fan (from the bedroom) went into the bathroom to replace that cheap exhaust fan.

This setup has worked very well throughout our camping and traveling experiences over the last couple of years.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHealy View Post
Installation completed today. It took about 4 hours and I am very happy with the end results. With both AC units on high cooling I was only pulling 17-18 amps. It took a little elbow grease to get the Lap off of the fan in the bedroom ceiling but once I got started it came off fairly easily. We used a tractor with a front load bucket to lift the units onto the roof and remove the existing unit. I had to wire up the rear AC, thermostat and AC controller. All the wire was in the wall and up in the ceiling so it was pretty straight forward. The forward AC unit, I was able to reuse the existing Controller but replaced the Thermostat so it no longer had the heat pump option to toggle through. So now we just wait until our first outing of the year in a few weeks to really get a good test.
Nice job!

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote