Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #1

Cool Adding RV Protective Brush Shield to Melbourne 24K

Hello all, I recently bought a brush shield off of Amazon to add to my 2018 Melbourne 24K. I bought this to try to protect my new Bronco that I just converted to be flat tow capable. I thought this would be a better solution to attack the problem closer to the source rather than on the front of the Bronco, or some cover over the towbar.

Some years ago, we were leaving Glacier National park on the Big Chief highway towing a motorcycle trailer. I've since personally named that road the Big Poop highway. Cattle grazed across the road and you can guess the rest (shield on the trailer mostly protected the bike, but the trailer required a whole lotta washing). Can only imagine if this was a rock road and what the front of my new Bronco might look like after.

Has anyone got any experience with adding something like this on their RV? I know I read somewhere that someone attached to the bumper with pop rivets which seems like an OK idea if you can keep the rivets close to the corner and away from your sewer hose interfering. Am curious if there might not be a solution closer to the wheel wells that someone has utilized.
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:11 PM   #2

How about some mudflaps or sturdy brush that attatches to the reciever on the tow vehicle?
https://www.google.com/search?q=receiver+mounted+mud+flaps&oq=receiver+mo unt+mud&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30l2.11939j1j8&cli ent=tablet-android-sprint-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k View Post
Hello all, I recently bought a brush shield off of Amazon to add to my 2018 Melbourne 24K. I bought this to try to protect my new Bronco that I just converted to be flat tow capable. I thought this would be a better solution to attack the problem closer to the source rather than on the front of the Bronco, or some cover over the towbar.

Some years ago, we were leaving Glacier National park on the Big Chief highway towing a motorcycle trailer. I've since personally named that road the Big Poop highway. Cattle grazed across the road and you can guess the rest (shield on the trailer mostly protected the bike, but the trailer required a whole lotta washing). Can only imagine if this was a rock road and what the front of my new Bronco might look like after.

Has anyone got any experience with adding something like this on their RV? I know I read somewhere that someone attached to the bumper with pop rivets which seems like an OK idea if you can keep the rivets close to the corner and away from your sewer hose interfering. Am curious if there might not be a solution closer to the wheel wells that someone has utilized.
I cannot tell you how many miles I have flat towed the Jeep and never had an issue.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:20 AM   #4

Good to hear you have not had issues. Decided to mount the brush thing on the bumper anyway. Just finished up and it wasn't too bad riveting into the bumper. Here's hoping I have your luck with or without the brush thing!
Old 06-06-2023, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks. I like the receiver one. If this brush attached to the bumper doesn't work as I hope, I may resort to this.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:10 AM   #6

I think it depends on how close the rear wheels are to the bumper on the coach. On my Greyhawk its probably close to 5' so i dont think anything with weight (rocks n such) will bounce around enough to reach the toad. If the rear wheels are closer or stick out from the fenders there's more of a chance and if you travel down non-paved roads there's a higher chance. If you have the SAS version you also have some height advantage.

Obviously there's a market or there wouldn't be any to be purchased. I saw some net ones that seem easy to deal with versus some hard material. I'd probably get something like this before some additional mudflaps that are closer to what you are trying to protect.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4700.html

Towing your car behind your housed sure is expensive
Old 06-13-2023, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-4700.html

Towing your car behind your housed sure is expensive
Tell me about it. I've got $2900 worth of parts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Estimating another $2000 for that.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:50 AM   #8

How does the Melbourne handle the Bronco? If I remember correct, it is close to the 5000lb limit.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:08 AM   #9

Do you have a link to the Amazon one you chose?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brush shield, melbourne 24, toad protection