Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #121
Lost in the Woods

I did a quickie modification to the rain gutter system. It drove me nuts when the rig was front down, that rain water or A/C runoff would drip right at the cab entry doors or even worse, would drip right next to the coach entry door, and would make a mud puddle and splash the entry step.

So, I ordered some peel and stick gutter material, and ran it off the front of the cabover. It was a little different then the OEM stuff, as it didn't have the track for the awnings (which I didn't need). (see picture below)

We were out this weekend, and it was raining when we pulled in to set up. The rig was sitting pretty level, so I left it as is, with just a slight forward lean, instead of playing with the Lego blocks.

The rain was running off the front, and ran right down these new gutter, completely away from the passenger side doors. Then, when the A/C was on, that water ran off the nose too. No puddles by the entry doors. Also, no more black lines running down the cabover at the end of the gutter.

Oh, another item I've noticed on our rigs. The slide awning must have a weak spring and doesn't drain off, and water collects and causes a hammock effect on it. I had to go up on the roof and sweep the water off that awning over the slide. FYI if you camp when it's raining.
Attached Thumbnails
raingutter.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I did a quickie modification to the rain gutter system. It drove me nuts when the rig was front down, that rain water or A/C runoff would drip right at the cab entry doors or even worse, would drip right next to the coach entry door, and would make a mud puddle and splash the entry step.

So, I ordered some peel and stick gutter material, and ran it off the front of the cabover. It was a little different then the OEM stuff, as it didn't have the track for the awnings (which I didn't need). (see picture below)

We were out this weekend, and it was raining when we pulled in to set up. The rig was sitting pretty level, so I left it as is, with just a slight forward lean, instead of playing with the Lego blocks.

The rain was running off the front, and ran right down these new gutter, completely away from the passenger side doors. Then, when the A/C was on, that water ran off the nose too. No puddles by the entry doors. Also, no more black lines running down the cabover at the end of the gutter.

Oh, another item I've noticed on our rigs. The slide awning must have a weak spring and doesn't drain off, and water collects and causes a hammock effect on it. I had to go up on the roof and sweep the water off that awning over the slide. FYI if you camp when it's raining.
Fantastic. That not only looks better than gutter extensions yours is way more functional. Please tell me where to buy the peel and stick gutter for my next project!!
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #123
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Fantastic. That not only looks better than gutter extensions yours is way more functional. Please tell me where to buy the peel and stick gutter for my next project!!
I also bought those extensions, but felt all they would do is make the splashing a few inches away from the body, but still by the doors. With the way I did it, it's running off and now landing by the front wheel, so no more shower getting in and out of the cab.

And, of course, it came from Amazon (where else). It just requires a straight eye to peel and stick it (and a slight trim and silicone to mate it with the existing gutter).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #124

We also have 2019 Redhawk 24B and so far so good. Since its prewired for roof solar system I went ahead and installed it (piece of cake :-) Already went on few short trips and no issues, even pulling a car loaded car dolly. The layout is one of the best ones when it comes to 24 ft., so much room with the slide open.
Good luck and stay in touch...
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #125

Smile 2019 Odyssey 24B first trip issues

Hi gang,

We just took our new 2019 Odyssey 24B on its shakedown trip. Thought to bounce some stuff of the group - thanks in advance for any suggestions. Maybe my workarounds below will help someone else out at some point.

1. The biggest issue is that our fridge wouldn't kick in on its own under auto or propane mode. I discovered that the DC voltage at the fridge PC controller board was lower than than the house battery voltage (multiple data points but this one - 12.95 at house battery and only 10.4 at fridge input leads. Fridge wouldn't fire up. I found that if I ran the genny then the voltage at the board would increase enough that if I turned the fridge off and then back on in propane mode it would fire up and continue to cool until it was at temp. We did this several times a day for 2 weeks. I found out that there are 4 items on that circuit (bad design) - the fridge, the Propane/CO detector, slide controller, and "radio." Maybe it's just a loose ground or hot wire, or a staple somewhere nicked the wire. I am sending it to get warranty work but thought to see if this is common. A suggestion (after speaking with multiple service guys,) is to run a new 12VDC wire from the panel to the nearest solid DC connection (my inverter under the sink?) and install a simple in-line 15A blade fuse inline. Anyone else had this issue?

2. Another electrical issue is that the AC mains breaker (top one, used for outlets it seems) would trip about once a day. Resetting it returned power to outlets. Any thoughts? It's also on the warranty repair list.

3. LED awning lights never worked from dealer's lot. In for warranty work - the awning works fine though. Switch appears to be working, I can get closed/open circuit on the tabs on the back of the switch with a voltmeter. Any other thoughts?

4. At one point the generator was revving up and down unacceptably at light loads. I removed the air filter cover, "looked" at a fresh brand new filter, and put the cover back on. This seems to have fixed it (huh?) It still revs on a cool morning for the first 30 sec but then it levels out to a steady hum. I adjusted the altitude setting btw, don't think it was that.

5. Water still being siphoned out when filling until overflow and driving away. The Entegra/Jayco service rep said the problem was fixed by my year model - not true. I see online lots of workarounds: a. extend the lines and insert a "loop" in the hose up high and tie wrap it to itself, b. install small valves (have to remember to open/close them every time (hmmm), and c. run the outdoor shower for 15 sec. Not having tried "a" or "b" methods I would say that it seems that sometimes the "c" method works but not consistently. It might seem that the siphoning is over and then when I drive on the road I notice that it's just gushing out again ... any further thoughts?

6. Boondocking DC upgrades planned: a. modifying the battery box bracket guides to accommodate 2 6V deep cycle batteries (does anyone have any models that fit the limited height of the 24B compartment?) b. installing two 160W Renogy flexible solar panels via the existing solar-ready cabling (any experience with that? c. looking into upgrading the converter to a higher AMP charger for generator charging (anyone do this?) and d. installing the Trimetrics TM-2030RV battery monitor to better determine loading and charging.

Whew, please ignore this if you don't like long reads and dive in if you do!

Thanks,

Ed
ed767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #126

Actually the easier valve stem is the inner rear tire and the more difficult one is the outer rear tire. I am about to remove my hub caps to make access easier. I found putting my hand between the two tires allows me to get a little better access....not great but better.

2019 Redhawk 24B
dragonflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #127

Well I took a quick racing trip this weekend and I am sad to say that the thermotech cool-it mat to the water tank and small (but powerful) fan blowing the generator heat away from the fresh tank has barely helped. I wish that I had a thermometer but all that I can say is that showering feels like the water came from a garden hose that has been laying in the sun. I am left using the air conditioned hot water tank (off) to get cool water. Nothing short of a big shop fan, which obviously won't fit in or under the coach, will blow that heat away. There is a tremendous amount of hot air pushing straight down from the genny and is trapped by the undercarriage and the slide. Any other ideas anyone?? I bought this rig to dry camp in and this is a major bummer.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #128
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Any other ideas anyone?? I bought this rig to dry camp in and this is a major bummer.
Sorry to hear that... well, you can wait and go in December, I bet the water will be cooler at that time...

Another quick though. Maybe put a second water tank in the space under the dinette seats (if you're not using that space). (Or the space under the foot of the bed.) Then cut some vent louvers into the side of the seat bases. This might make the water temp equal to the temps inside the coach (in the 70's).

Not sure what the added water weight would do to the slide, though...
Old 09-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #129

Quote:

So I properly prepped and installed these gutters in the same fashion that you did. Three days later they are both laying on the ground...no stick. Did you have any problems?? I noticed that the packaging is wound too tight causing periodic breaks in the protective film, not sure if that is the cause or not. Maybe the stock and adhesive is old or maybe the acrylic wash that I use to prevents streaks keeps the surface too slick to adhere to (although I did use the same 3m adhesive to stick a little sign on the side and it's not going anywhere....ever!!). I did not lay it out in the sun to straighten it out first because it did not instruct me to and I didn't feel that I needed to. If that's the case how in the world would I make it down the highway without the wind ripping it off anyway?? Confused.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #130
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
So I properly prepped and installed these gutters in the same fashion that you did. Three days later they are both laying on the ground...no stick. Did you have any problems??
I had no problems, I walk past the passenger side all the time, and that one is 100% in place. Haven't looked up at the driver's side, but my garbage cans are on that side, so I would have seen it on the ground if it fell off. I'll check tomorrow.

What did you prep/clean the cap with before sticking them on? Did you wax the cap recently before putting them on?

I hadn't waxed it, and cleaned the surface real good with isopropyl alcohol before applying, that was it. They grabbed and held instantly.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #131

Quote:
I had no problems, I walk past the passenger side all the time, and that one is 100% in place. Haven't looked up at the driver's side, but my garbage cans are on that side, so I would have seen it on the ground if it fell off. I'll check tomorrow.

What did you prep/clean the cap with before sticking them on? Did you wax the cap recently before putting them on?

I hadn't waxed it, and cleaned the surface real good with isopropyl alcohol before applying, that was it. They grabbed and held instantly.
My rig has never and will never get waxed, no need with the acrylic wash. I cleaned it with 70% rubbing alcohol as per the directions. They seemed to stick fine. I could not move them once they stuck but naturally I never tried to remove them. Like I said, I used my own grey 3M tape the same day on something else and it stuck to the side of the rig fine. I expected the gutters to have slightly more of an eternabond type stick but in reality it was nowhere near that. I will return them and try one more time but have my doubts.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #132
Lost in the Woods

So I finally remembered to walk around on the other side of the rig to check the rain gutter. Both sides are tightly stuck on, no gaps and nothing looking like it wants to fall off. It's been through multiple rains and down the road at highway speed.

Not sure why you had a issue with them falling off after a few days....
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #133

Has anyone placed a spare tire on their 24B? If so How and where, Also What is the best roadside assistance?
I have read reviews on a few, Good Sams says it will pay for cost to replace tires up to $700. each occurrence , allowed two a year. Did see some bad reviews on youtube for them . Also coach net had some good reviews. What I have now is basic tire change coverage but I will have to pay for new tire if needed, Would be nice to have one available for roadside if needed. Also Tpms system , what to you have?
Thanks
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #134
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsite View Post
Has anyone placed a spare tire on their 24B? If so How and where, Also What is the best roadside assistance?
Here's a thread about the spare tire:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eel-70606.html
Old 09-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #135

Quote:
So I finally remembered to walk around on the other side of the rig to check the rain gutter. Both sides are tightly stuck on, no gaps and nothing looking like it wants to fall off. It's been through multiple rains and down the road at highway speed.

Not sure why you had a issue with them falling off after a few days....
Got a new gutters and laid them out for 2 days smashed flat before installing. I have not traveled with them on yet but they appear to be stuck very well this time. The coiled gutter had fewer bubbles in the protective film than the first batch but still contained some. Not sure if not pressing them flat was the key or whether I got old stock the first time around. Lesson learned for those who want to install these.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #136

The second batch of gutters stuck great and work very well with the AC drip, thanks again for the heads up RetiredOne. I brought a big fan with me dry camping in 96 degrees and placed it under the rig where the bracket for the levelers pump would be, and I blew it toward the genny exhaust. It was a pain to slide under and then stand up but wow what a difference. I didn't bother turning the water heater on and just used the cold knob to pull directly from the tank and I got a cool shower at night and cold in the AM. I was getting scalding hot showers before. I wish a smaller fan would work as I would find a way to mount one that I could just plug in without having to crawl under the dang rig twice per trip.

Also my slide decided to refuse to open on the rear end. I had to find the control module and per LCI instruction, do an override and get the slide out and back in. Despite amping out the motors every time I have ever used the slide it now has a problem. Of course it was almost impossible to get around the bed into the access panel in the back to reset it with the slide closed. Stupid....If I continue to have problems I will have to relocate to module, but not sure where.

Make sure to check your slide seals on the top side that is hidden beneath the slide topper. Mine is all jacked up and stretched loose. I almost didn't catch that if I hadn't been on a ladder installing the gutters.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #137
Lost in the Woods

Glad to hear the second set of gutters decided to stay on, I like the way they redirect the A/C and rain water.

NOT glad to hear about the slide issues. That big slide is probably my biggest concern with these rigs. Every time it runs, it sounds like it can barely move the slide in and out.

I really hope they don't become the "Achilles Heel" of these rigs..
Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #138
Lost in the Woods

To all you 24B people...

We were out this weekend and had the drain line under the shower break/separate and flood the floor in the bathroom. Good ole Jayco craftsmanship....

Some of you have noticed that the shower floor was really spongie at the drain location, since Jayco cut out a big section of the plywood support to install the drain. I noticed it the first time we used the shower, and cut and put in additional support blocks in that area.

Apparently that wasn't enough to keep the drain line from separating, and wifey and I aren't big, heavy people... just crappy Jayco installation...

From reaching into the access panel, I can feel a loose nut and a separated pipe right below the shower floor. I need to get in there with my inspection camera and take a better look, but it looks like some sort of Mickey Mouse plumbing job in there by Jayco.

So, a warning to everyone, if your shower floor by the drain feels spongie, I'd suggest taking a close look...
Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #139

Well, you can’t upload videos. I strongly encourage you to take your phone, put it on video and see what’s there. There are a number of places you shouldn’t stand as you’ll see there is no support. Attached is a schematic of what my 22J looks like. The blue outline is the 1 inch plywood that supports the shower. The red is places you shouldn’t stands. The green are places that are safe.
Attached Thumbnails
51AC7CC4-005A-4C6B-B0B5-D169FE0EB497.jpg  
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #140

Here is video of under the shower on my 22J. https://youtu.be/wSjL4_hIjsE
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote