Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2023, 08:51 PM   #1

Automatic transfer switch

Greetings;
how do I find out if my 2011 Jayco Melbourne class c motorhome has an automatic transfer switch? Where to look and what the heck does it look like?
Thanks!
Marycontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycontrary View Post
Greetings;
how do I find out if my 2011 Jayco Melbourne class c motorhome has an automatic transfer switch? Where to look and what the heck does it look like?
Thanks!
To operate your RV from the generator - do you have to change a plug in a compartment, or if you start the generator does it supply your rig without doing anything else?

Here is a picture of one.
Attached Thumbnails
T-30.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:40 AM   #3

Ats

Greetings Rob,
Thanks for answering. Im staying at daughters house, their 110 unable to handle my AC, so am starting generator in the evening just to cool things down. Ive been unplugging the rig to start the generator, which has a start/stop switch inside the coach. Then shutting off AC before shutting down generator and replugging into the 110. My concern is, do I have to unplug the rig before starting the generator and plug it back in after turning the generator off?

When I asked this question on irv2, I got different answers, some said to be safe, just unplug as described above, others said if I have a Auto transfer switch, it would do the correct thing and allow the generator to take over.

I just dont want to mess anything up either with my rig, or my daughters elec panel, so am trying to figure out if I have an ATS! I dont mind unplugging and reconnecting, but this scenario has come up for me in other situations and Id just like to know what's kosher.
Marycontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 06:46 AM   #4

If you have an onboard generator you have a ATS unit.
ideally you should turn off the load in the rv and allow the generator to cool down for a few minutes then turn the generator off and turn on the circuit breaker to the line power to the coach from the 110. Then once the power is on reapply your loads. This is considered best practice. The reverse is to turn off loads in rv and simply turn on the generator, the ATS will switch the source from the line to the generator, then turn your ac on. The main reason for reducing load is to reduce the arcing that occurs when switching contacts. Every time they move there is some arcing that occurs, the bigger the load the bigger the arc, given enough arcing the ATS units can weld the contacts together and stop switching. Also the small arc might be observed by the house gfci and trip.

Having said all that if you forget sometimes it probably is not really a big deal but trying to reduce issues doest really take that long.

On a side note if you can locate a 20 amp circuit to use it might be enough to power your ac unit if you use a large enough cord. Also if you are going to use this type of source it might be worth while to purchase a ac soft start, they are about $300 but they reduce the intial power inrush that causes circuit breakers to pop.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:42 AM   #5

Paul's advice is sound, turn off heavy loads (air conditioner, electric water heater function, etc) before switching power sources. This helps prolong the life of the transfer switch's contactor.

I had a 1992 Gulfstream Class C that did NOT have an Automatic Transfer Switch, I had to move a plug to switch between the generator or shore power. If you don't have to do that, you have an ATS!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #6

My 2008 Winnebago did Not have a transfer switch, and there are still some newer model Class C models with generators that don’t have transfer switches. They should have but don’t….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote