Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Backup Camera problem

The camera on our 2020 Greyhawk has pretty much given up! It was not bad when brand new but has steadily declined in clarity until now we have a wavy gray screen. I suspect that it has condensation inside but given our weather at the moment I'm unable to get a ladder out and see it close up. We do have the less than ideal Soundstream system. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has come up with a solution or camera replacement without replacing the Soundstream main unit?
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

I bought a replacement camera from Walmart for $15 last year (it's probably over $16 now). I fed the wires down from the outside and into the rear emergency exit window and down to the floor and all throughout the seal of the slide. My slide runs the whole driver's side. Then into the cab section to the stereo in the dash. Not the prettiest, but I needed it.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

I may have to do that but was hoping for an easier solution. I'm wondering if any cameras are compatible with the Soundstream?
Old 02-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
I may have to do that but was hoping for an easier solution. I'm wondering if any cameras are compatible with the Soundstream?
I don't think it's the Soundstream compatibility. As long as you have a video feed to the video in, it should work. The issue is the camera system. What I discovered was that there were 5 wires attached to the factory camera. None of them put out 12V, but at most 5V. These wires feed into something which then outputs the video signal to the stereo. I was hoping to use the existing wiring, but no luck. The walls on the back has styrofoam for insulation so it was impossible to use a fish tape to feed through.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Once you can get up to the camera and remove it (I'm assuming it is attached to the back wall via a few screws), you may see that it has an RCA type plug. You could then plug in a new camera.

Hope it's that simple for you.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #6

could email jayco via their website for part numbers or manufacturer and see if you can buy one online somewhere too.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
... These wires feed into something which then outputs the video signal to the stereo. ...
There is a video switch which is controlled by the turn signals. Left turn triggers the left camera input, right triggers right, and no turn signal defaults to center rear camera. From this switch there is one pair of RCA connectors going out to the stereo head unit. My 2014 31FS uses a CSW3007 switch. See the attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSW3014 Camera Control Doc (1).pdf (194.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:

As others have said - I strongly suspect the answer is yes. You don't need to worry about compatibility.

I'd take the old one off, make sure its wired with RCA style connections. Double check to make sure the power lead is still sending power.

If you convince yourself the camera is dead, the look for something similar to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VDCJWVL...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 02-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
There is a video switch which is controlled by the turn signals. Left turn triggers the left camera input, right triggers right, and no turn signal defaults to center rear camera. From this switch there is one pair of RCA connectors going out to the stereo head unit. My 2014 31FS uses a CSW3007 switch. See the attached.
Very helpful diagram. I will investigate further when some snow melts and the temperature is above freezing!
Old 02-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
As others have said - I strongly suspect the answer is yes. You don't need to worry about compatibility.

I'd take the old one off, make sure its wired with RCA style connections. Double check to make sure the power lead is still sending power.

If you convince yourself the camera is dead, the look for something similar to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VDCJWVL...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
That looks to be far superior to the original. I'm suspecting that water has gotten into the camera and may have messed up the circuitry. It looks pretty foggy from the ground. Just hoping for some good weather as these old fingers don't operate smoothly in freezing weather and I am unlikely to set up a ladder on snow anyway!
Old 02-26-2022, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Once you can get up to the camera and remove it (I'm assuming it is attached to the back wall via a few screws), you may see that it has an RCA type plug. You could then plug in a new camera.

Hope it's that simple for you.
I hope so too. It may warm up some next week so I can investigate.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Just hoping for some good weather as these old fingers don't operate smoothly in freezing weather and I am unlikely to set up a ladder on snow anyway!

Tell me about it.

Forty years ago, I'd say something like "Oh, I love living with all four seasons! I don't mind the snow and cold..."

Today, it's "More ^$%%## snow???? I gotta move someplace where it's 76*F all year round."
Old 02-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #13

Camera was waterlogged!!! Had to cut the feed and found a 3 wire system . New camera ordered so will see what transpires and the old one is dried out and reassembled just in case!!
Old 03-01-2022, 07:30 AM   #14

I found my original Backup Camera to be water logged also on our 2017 29MV. I ordered the original one and Found the one that was sent had a gasket to keep that water out. Only silicone was lightly used to seal the camera from Jayco. I Cleaned both surfaces and installed the correct gasket, Hope to see behind us for many years.
Ted

RVS-917
SURFACE MOUNTED THIRD BRAKE LIGHT REAR VIEW CAMERA
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #15

Is it under warranty?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #16

Sadly out of warranty by about 8 months. Replacement camera did not work today so I'm going to go with a wireless one...I hope !!!
Old 03-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #17

Replacement camera was not compatible with the soundstream so I went with a wireless camera on the licence plate mount. Working well so far
Old 03-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #18

Did you put the sound stream unit on camera or put rig in reverse to check the voltage?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #19

Couldn't test but checked my connections for continuity . I wasn't about to climb a ladder while unit was running and in reverse....
Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Couldn't test but checked my connections for continuity . I wasn't about to climb a ladder while unit was running and in reverse....
You don’t have to put your rig in reverse if your by yourself, just select the camera icon on the head unit.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote