Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Bicycle carrier

We have a 26' Greyhawk and we tow a car but want to put a bike carrier on the ladder which is located on the rear passenger side so bikes might hang off the side. What kind do you use (if you use one)?
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #2

We pull a Jeep Wrangler with our Melbourne 29D. We carry the bikes on a rear hitch carrier on the Jeep. It’s also convenient when we want to take the bikes away from the campsite for the day.
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

We have the ladder mount bike rack that Camping World sells. I don't remember the brand. Will check tomorrow. Works well. We also use it to carry lawn chairs.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

Checked this morning, no name brand on the bike carrier. We bought it 20 years ago to use with with our then fifth wheel. I think now a better solution for the class C would be a front hitch mount bike carrier. Looks like it would be much easier to load the bikes on.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #5

Our bike carrier is mounted above our 4 wheels down Blue Ox tow bar. We use a double receiver with the top one modified to be 8 inches above the lower receiver socket.

Not sure the name of our bike carrier, but we've had it for years. It carries the bicycles sitting on their tires. These units come in 2 and 4 bike models. I do keep bikes covered and extra straps over that to hold the cover tight. Also there is a ratchet strap from the center post to the front of the receiver hitch, to keep things solid. Bikes move around a lot on bike racks. A stabilizing strap really controls the movement.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

I purchased a ladder bike rack and after installing it, I quickly realized the bicycles were too heavy for me to lift up to the rack easily. A young, strong person could do it but I'm a smaller senior and it was too much for me. I use a car rack on my towed vehicle.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

I have read that the bike carrier on the ladder is a bad idea. Something about the load not being static once underway, and the constant bobbing motion weakens that ladder's attachment points to the rig. I don't know first hand, but a ladder mount bike rack would not be something I would try on my own rig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 AM   #8

"Not being static" is an understatement. Watch other bike carriers as you go down the road. I've seen bikes drug down the road or bounced so hard they aren't even in position on the carrier anymore.

I learned long ago that the carriers that carry the bikes sitting on their wheels are the superior style and also, easier to load and unload. We also use extra straps to secure the bikes and also the carrier to the hitch. It gives security and restricts the bouncing movement.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Our bike carrier is mounted above our 4 wheels down Blue Ox tow bar. We use a double receiver with the top one modified to be 8 inches above the lower receiver socket.

Not sure the name of our bike carrier, but we've had it for years. It carries the bicycles sitting on their tires. These units come in 2 and 4 bike models. I do keep bikes covered and extra straps over that to hold the cover tight. Also there is a ratchet strap from the center post to the front of the receiver hitch, to keep things solid. Bikes move around a lot on bike racks. A stabilizing strap really controls the movement.
We are thinking about getting electric bikes to take along, but don't want to give up towing the Ford Focus. Sounds like this might be a good option for our Melbourne.
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt1314 View Post
We are thinking about getting electric bikes to take along, but don't want to give up towing the Ford Focus. Sounds like this might be a good option for our Melbourne.
I bought an electric bike recently. One thing to keep in mind with them is the weight, even with the battery off the bike, mine weighs 40 or 50 lbs. Hollywood racks sell good bike racks specifically for heavy ebikes.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

We carry bicycles on a rack between our RV and our toad. It is the type that the bikes sit on their tires and has a loop over the cross bar. Our bicycles are carried 100% of the time, wouldn't travel without them. I strap them down tight, but I'm disappointed with them getting scratched on the finish even though I pad them well. I have used foam pipe insulation and even fuzzy seat belt straps, but there is still some wear. Has anyone found a really good padding to prevent scratches?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 04-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #12

We purchased this 5 bike carrier from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...87&sr=8-3&th=1

We put 5 full size bikes on it. 3 adult Trek bikes, 1 Giant, and 1 Cannondale. All of them fit easily on there. The straps are easy to use and you can change the direction of them for weird angles. It has served us really well.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I bought an electric bike recently. One thing to keep in mind with them is the weight, even with the battery off the bike, mine weighs 40 or 50 lbs. Hollywood racks sell good bike racks specifically for heavy ebikes.
Hollywood is the carrier we’ve been looking at for the electric bikes. Wondering what electric bike you got? We are looking at the RAD City bikes
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

You can stop the shake, wobble or wiggle of bike racks and hitch racks with an item like this. It really makes things in your hitch more stable.

Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 and 3.75 Inch Hitches - Heavy-Duty Lock Down Tow Clamp, Rust Free
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote