Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #1

Frustrated with OCCC

Occupant and cargo carrying capacity is a new concept to me. In trying to learn about the weights, I’m dismayed to find that the OCCC on my 2019 Jayco Melbourne 24k is listed at only 1056.
Ok, I weigh 250 (it’s all muscle. I wish.) my wife weighs...er, uh, 140 or so. That’s 395. Add a small dog and we’re talking 420 pounds. When just my wife, dog and I are traveling we might trim our cargo to weigh in under the limit. However...
With past rv’s, (some larger, some smaller) we have made week-long trips with 4 adults, boosting our occupant weight to nearly 750. I see no way to reduce cargo weight for four adults to under 306 pounds.
So my question is, what happens if I exceed the OCCC weight? Do I risk flat tires, transmission damage, axel problems? Or does the excess weight cause difficulty in steering and braking? I ask because though I’ve never figured OCCC before (I didn’t even know there was such a thing!) I feel certain that we have exceeded that limit by at least 200 or 300 pounds and on a number of occasions with no known ill effects.
I should add that we would not be towing because the 24 foot rig moves through traffic like a sports car. But my understanding is that the 1056 OCCC has little or nothing to do with towing capacity, right?
So, other than advising me to give up bacon, donuts and cheeseburgers does anyone have any advice for reducing the OCCC to a number under the limit?
Thanks!

Mondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Here a statistic from another forum:
--------------------------------------------------------
June 2, 2008, the federal government has mandated that all motorhomes include an occupant and cargo carrying capacity (OCCC) label in addition to the FVSC label. Besides the VIN, the OCCC label provides the maximum combined weight of occupants and cargo that should never be exceeded; the number of safety belt-equipped seating positions; and a statement that provides information as to the weight of a full load of water in the motorhome and a reminder that the tongue weight of any towed trailer or vehicle counts as cargo. This label can be permanently affixed next to the FVSC label with a temporary copy on the inside of the entrance door referencing the permanent location, or the permanent label can be affixed at the entry door only. The addition of this label supersedes the previous RVIA label; therefore, the RVIA label is no longer required of manufacturer members.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From that statement you may be overloaded. Do you travel with full fresh water tanks?

2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

The best way to see what you can and can't carry is to load it as you normally do for travel and use a truck stop scale to weigh it.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoggie View Post
Occupant and cargo carrying capacity is a new concept to me. In trying to learn about the weights, Iím dismayed to find that the OCCC on my 2019 Jayco Melbourne 24k is listed at only 1056.
Ok, I weigh 250 (itís all muscle. I wish.) my wife weighs...er, uh, 140 or so. Thatís 395. Add a small dog and weíre talking 420 pounds. When just my wife, dog and I are traveling we might trim our cargo to weigh in under the limit. However...
With past rvís, (some larger, some smaller) we have made week-long trips with 4 adults, boosting our occupant weight to nearly 750. I see no way to reduce cargo weight for four adults to under 306 pounds.
So my question is, what happens if I exceed the OCCC weight? Do I risk flat tires, transmission damage, axel problems? Or does the excess weight cause difficulty in steering and braking? I ask because though Iíve never figured OCCC before (I didnít even know there was such a thing!) I feel certain that we have exceeded that limit by at least 200 or 300 pounds and on a number of occasions with no known ill effects.
I should add that we would not be towing because the 24 foot rig moves through traffic like a sports car. But my understanding is that the 1056 OCCC has little or nothing to do with towing capacity, right?
So, other than advising me to give up bacon, donuts and cheeseburgers does anyone have any advice for reducing the OCCC to a number under the limit?
Thanks!
That is less than my 1/2 ton pickup.. yikes... no soup for you
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Curver. I know! I can carry more weight in my Jeep wrangler than what is allowed in the RV.
What frustrates me is that I looked closely at the vehicles GCWR (15,250 pounds) before I bought and I thought I was in excellent shape for the trip I was planning. For instance, the curb weight of my RV is 9974. Add 750 for the driver and passengers, another 102 for a quarter tank of fresh water and that leaves me 10,826 before cargo (remember that I'm not towing anything.)
So the GCWR of 15,250 minus 10,826 should leave me with 4,424 for anything else. Even with a thousand pounds of gear...heck even with 4000 pounds of gear, I should have plenty of pulling power for my trip.
Yet with the very low OCCC rating of only 1056, after passengers and water, I have only enough structural strength for 204 pounds of cargo.
A quick check of similar RV's tells me this will likely be the case (with minor variations for RV curb weight) of any vehicle with the Mercedes Chassis.
I guess by posting this, I'm hoping someone can tell me that I'm wrong in my calculations and that I actually can carry more cargo that what I'm thinking.
Otherwise, it seems like something Mercedes might want to look into if they are going to continue to use this Chassis on RV's .
Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Grumpy. I do have automotive scales nearby, but it seems like with OCCC the only way to tell would be to unload every piece of cargo, including dishes, blankets, tools etc. in order to determine the cargo weight. Then, of course, you'd have to add in fluids and people weight.
The Jayco 24K, btw, has seatbelts for six. At 154 pounds (which seems low to a big ol' boy from Arkansas) for each of the six passengers, that's 924 pounds of the 1056 allowable weight.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #7

Norty. Thanks for the information. In answer to the water question, from now on I guess I'll carry one gallon for tooth brushing and flushing.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

I think your use of GVWR minus fully loaded scale weight would be correct. Those yellow stickers have been found to be incorrect at times.

Edit: GVWR NOT GCVWR.. GCVWR includes what's being towed.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Thanks Grump. I think Iíve got a handle on it now. Just have to travel light!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

Thatís the downside of the Sprinter Chassis. I had a Sprinter RV and loved it but the downside was the carrying capacity.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote