Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Bypassing hot water system

We have a 2019 jayco class c 22j and want to get a diagram of hot water bypass help
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Hot water tank bypass.

Winterized my 2018 Redhawk 22J today. Wasnt difficlut at all. I found this diagram for bypassing the hot water tank in owners manual. Followed it as shown and successfully prevented antifreeze entering in the hot water tank. Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20191008-211321_Dropbox.jpg  
Newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 AM   #3

Thanks, filter canister never had a filter in it, impossible location, not fun. Did you empty yours? I am thinking since ours does not have a cartridge in it just pump antifreeze into it to push water out thru lines until antifreeze comes out the faucets,toilet,showers...
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #4

Never had the filter element installed. I just pumped in the antifreeze thro the lines until I saw it flowing out of the faucets. Initially lots of water came out, although I had the low point drains open for a long time and then reclosed the before putting in antifreeze. The only thing to remember in spring is to flush out the lines with water to clear out all the antifreeze.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Thanks, i would love to meet the designer who placed the filter canister and let him try to change it, dumb. Water heater bypass next...
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

I just winterized mine a day or so ago.

The only things that I found interesting are:

1. the drain for the water heater was a bear to get out. Almost no access, very soft plastic. It's going to go back together using an extension tube with a valve on the end.

2. I have only a two valve water heater bypass. At least I didn't see a valve on the line between the hot and cold and I still got water out of both hot and cold faucets when pumping the antifreeze through.

3. I was confused for about 5 minutes on how to get the antifreeze through the pump. I saw the tube coming from the pump but I didn't see a valve, only a round thing. I tried pushing and pulling on it to no avail. I finally figured out that the valve was in upside down. *sigh* Once I saw that and got it turned it all went fine.

Just a note: I think it's a good thing to blow the lines out first, depending on where you live. The antifreeze works to -50F undiluted, but if you still have water in the lines you'll be diluting the antifreeze unless you really pump a lot through. You can search for winterizing to find folks that will also blow out the antifreeze afterwards. I don't do that but I can see why some folks would. In ours with inside/outside kitchens, bath, inside/outside showers I used 2 full gallons. Right now it's at the dealer getting a new radio installed and I'm thinking of picking up a 3rd gallon just to be sure that all the drains have enough antifreeze in them before it goes in to storage.

2017 Shasta 18FQ (traded in)
2015 Quicksilver 10.0 (sold)

Not all who wander are lost.
kweinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

hi, have not looked at hot water bypass yet, is it 2 valve or 3???
Old 10-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

2020 Redhawk:

My 6 gal water heater tank is a 2 valve system. Access below the fridge. The valves are plastic but interesting design that does not need a 3rd valve, just a tube connecting the 2 valves.

My water filter element was preinstalled by ??? I pulled the whole filter contraption out and totally eliminated it a few weeks ago. Replumbed with PEX. Don't need to access that space at all now. An exterior filter will be just fine and in fact was about 1.5 feet away from the stupid location of the interior filter I removed. Not necessary to have both 1.5 feet apart... Brilliant location for a interior water filter, behind a drawer in the back of the rig [you need the slide out open to access], in the same space that houses most all the electrical components including the slide out controller itself... Wow, and this was at least a 2x year job - if not more? Quite silly design.

Empty everything out, put pink stuff gal. jug on back bumper behind the ladder to hold it in place. Use 2nd water pump switch [located inside exterior shower compartment upper right]. 2nd switch toggles nicely with the inside pump switch. Easy to suck pink stuff everywhere you need, minus the water heater tank.

Good luck everyone. Winter is coming. Beautiful days here in the Eastern Sierra and hopefully where you are too.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
hi, have not looked at hot water bypass yet, is it 2 valve or 3???
I am not sure of the hot water heater set up for the 2019 22J. My 2018 22J has the 3 valve arrangement for bypassing the hot water tank.

You will have to open up the panel below the refrigerator to gain access to the hot water tank and figure out the valve set up.

If your hot water tank looks similar to the tank in the picture then it is a 2 vavle arrangement. Bypassing instructions are in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
twovalve.jpg  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

Name:  Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  9.3 KB
twmarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #11

I carry spare drain plugs, got them at hd
Old 10-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #12

2019 jayco 22j is a 3 valve water bypass system. thank you for all your comments. we trailed for 7 yrs this is our first mh so far so good. wd drives it like a pro...
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #13

Don't forget to buy the "good" pink stuff. If it contains any ethanol it will eventually dry out your rubber valves.

Walmart let me down this year, all they had was the cheap stuff. I found what I needed at Home Depot.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
2019 jayco 22j is a 3 valve water bypass system. thank you for all your comments. we trailed for 7 yrs this is our first mh so far so good. wd drives it like a pro...
Mine is a three valve too, matches the diagram that twmarrs posted above.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, i would love to meet the designer who placed the filter canister and let him try to change it, dumb. Water heater bypass next...
Where did you find the filter canister? Bought a 2018 22j, being prepped for delivery, but could not find that blasted thing anywhere!
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #16

Hi, it is under the clothes closet behind bottom drawer, great @#* design. Slideout has to be out to remove bottom drawer to access it. While being prept ask dealer to leave filter canister empty, no filter. I do not use it only external hose filter. We winterize by just pumping extra antifreeze into it. Pushes out water in empty canister filter, antifreeze is cheap, use 3 gallons to make sure all water is pushed out of filter canister and lines...
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi, it is under the clothes closet behind bottom drawer, great @#* design. Slideout has to be out to remove bottom drawer to access it. While being prept ask dealer to leave filter canister empty, no filter. I do not use it only external hose filter. We winterize by just pumping extra antifreeze into it. Pushes out water in empty canister filter, antifreeze is cheap, use 3 gallons to make sure all water is pushed out of filter canister and lines...
Agree, was just going to use an external filter but want to check that the canister doesn't have one soaked with antifreeze!
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Don't forget to buy the "good" pink stuff. If it contains any ethanol it will eventually dry out your rubber valves.

Walmart let me down this year, all they had was the cheap stuff. I found what I needed at Home Depot.
I have been RVing for 20 years but did not know about the ethanol. Do you happen to know the name of the brand(s) that you recommend??
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

I actually have both, used the Walmart stuff at the end of last season and still have two gallons. After reading here, I picked up a few gallons of the Home Depot stuff (I've been spending a lot of time there lately ).

I haven't compared the two in ingredients, but I'll be interested to see the difference.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post
Winterized my 2018 Redhawk 22J today. Wasnt difficlut at all. I found this diagram for bypassing the hot water tank in owners manual. Followed it as shown and successfully prevented antifreeze entering in the hot water tank. Hope this helps you.
Mine does not look like that, I have a 2020 Jayco RedHawks 24 b. It only has two valves, help
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote