Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #1

Cab lights

We purchased a 2021 Redhawk brand new. The interior cab lights have never worked. I've looked at the owners manual, and it doesn't even list a fuse for the lights. It's on a Ford E450 base. I'm taking it to the Ford dealer in a couple of weeks for an oil change and a warranty item, but I'm hoping to avoid the $200 diagnostic charge on the lights. Any ideas? Thanks.
Golfnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:47 PM   #2

I just bought a 2020 Redhawk I took off the plastic cover from the cab lights and there was no bulbs in there. Just a thought because I was clicking them on and off then the cover just came off as I was messing with them.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:41 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:50 PM   #4

Assuming you're talking about the "map" lights above the driver/passenger, chances are high the bulbs are blown or gone. I replaced with LEDs as both the incandescents went out quickly.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:41 PM   #5

this thread was from 2021. The answer ,as posted, is that the bulbs are probably burned out. It's a Sylvania #168 in LED or regular light. Unscrew the lens of the map light and pull out the burnt bulb and replace it. The 2 map lights also are interior lights when entering. The light will be on for 15 secs or so and then will go out. While in this phase, the button will turn off, but it will stay lit. After the interior light goes out, the button will operate as an on/off switch.
jvcleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:00 PM   #6

Thanks. I replaced the bulbs. Didn't help. I'm thinking it's something in the Body Control Module since there is no fuse listed for the courtesy lights.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcleve View Post
this thread was from 2021. The answer ,as posted, is that the bulbs are probably burned out. It's a Sylvania #168 in LED or regular light. Unscrew the lens of the map light and pull out the burnt bulb and replace it. The 2 map lights also are interior lights when entering. The light will be on for 15 secs or so and then will go out. While in this phase, the button will turn off, but it will stay lit. After the interior light goes out, the button will operate as an on/off switch.
Neat trick:

The member's join date appears to be during 2021, which tracks because their Redhawk is also a MY 21. Unless it was a cut/paste post, it's a fresh post.
Attached Thumbnails
2024_03_29_13_01_21_Cab_lights_Jayco_RV_Owners_Forum_Mozilla_Firefox.png  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-29-2024, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnut13 View Post
Thanks. I replaced the bulbs. Didn't help. I'm thinking it's something in the Body Control Module since there is no fuse listed for the courtesy lights.
Can you turn them on/off manually? With the wheel switch left of the steering wheel? Maybe it's the plunger switch in the door frame?

Beyond that I'm at a loss, but it must be fused somewhere. Could just be lumped in with other circuits. Did you check both fuse panels? There's one in the engine bay, and there's one down by the driver foot-well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-29-2024, 12:49 PM   #9

My Greyhawk schematic shows that the map/dome lights get power from fuse #11 on the coach DC fuse panel. Not sure if yours is wired the same but worth checking.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:54 AM   #10

The lights are controlled by the door light plunger, at least on my Ford e450. I assume. and you know what that means, that there is a fuse on the Ford side. The Ford manual states that there is a fuse panel somewhere to the left of the brake pedal, but I haven't found it yet.
jvcleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
The lights are controlled by the door light plunger, at least on my Ford e450. I assume. and you know what that means, that there is a fuse on the Ford side. The Ford manual states that there is a fuse panel somewhere to the left of the brake pedal, but I haven't found it yet.
It's there, for sure.

And it's not just the plunger switch that controls those lights.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-06-2024, 06:36 PM   #12

My 2019 Redhawk did not work when I picked it up new! They fixed them, I couldn’t tell you what the issue was. I think the plausible cause could be like J.B. Had, or something is not connected!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My 2019 Redhawk did not work when I picked it up new! They fixed them, I couldn’t tell you what the issue was. I think the plausible cause could be like J.B. Had, or something is not connected!
Could've been the bulbs themselves, mine burned out pretty quick. The passenger-side one didn't work long at all. I didn't really care much, but then the wife needed it for something and it didn't work, so it got fixed. Turned out both were burnt out, so they got replaced with LEDs.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-13-2024, 02:23 PM   #14

How to turn off cab map lights?

Quote:
This is a dumb question, but what/where is the door light plunger? We bought a 2016 Redhawk 26XD last summer and I don't know how to turn them OFF. They come on whenever we start the rig and stay on.
ArthurH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:33 PM   #15

Plunger switch is what is in a door jamb. should be a round black rod sticking up . Door opens and shuts, then switch is activated.
Handieman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:55 PM   #16

How to turn off cab map lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handieman1965 View Post
Plunger switch is what is in a door jamb. should be a round black rod sticking up . Door opens and shuts, then switch is activated.
I knew it was a dumb question. Lol
Old 04-20-2024, 06:20 AM   #17

Map lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Can you turn them on/off manually? With the wheel switch left of the steering wheel? Maybe it's the plunger switch in the door frame?

Beyond that I'm at a loss, but it must be fused somewhere. Could just be lumped in with other circuits. Did you check both fuse panels? There's one in the engine bay, and there's one down by the driver foot-well.
I had similar problem with our 2016 Redhawk - but the map lights wouldn't turn off. Then I found this thread and tried the dimmer (wheel) on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Hope this helps.