Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Class c front ebike rack

We have a Jayco Greyhawk and are thinking of getting 2 electric bikes. I would like to mount a bike rack on the front of RV. We tow a car so looking for another option to carry the bikes on the front. Anyone have any suggestions. May be a crazy idea. Thanks.
Steve Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:33 PM   #2

We also have a Greyhawk and will be towing a Ford Escape using a tow dolly on longer trips. We are looking at getting a pair of folding e-bikes, and plan on toting them in the back of the escape.
MerlinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Team

I saw an interesting set up last week at the park we stayed at. A big Class A had a full-size motorcycle on a rear carrier that raised up, and he towed a Jeep Wrangler too. I didn't get a close look at the bike lift, but it might have been electric. It looked expensive.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

I have a 2017 Greyhawk and bought ebikes. Also have a small Nissan Micra as a tow car. I am looking at buying a "Roadmaster dual hitch." Upper hitch for the bikes and the lower hitch for the blue ox to tow the car. If anyone has used this method please let us know how it works. Thanks!
ogione1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #5

Our 31FS is on a Ford 450 chassis, and several companies make a front mounted receiver. The ebike rack then goes on the front of the RV while we have our toad on the back. Putting the weight of the ebikes on the front helps the front to back balance, too.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connelly View Post
We have a Jayco Greyhawk and are thinking of getting 2 electric bikes. I would like to mount a bike rack on the front of RV. We tow a car so looking for another option to carry the bikes on the front. Anyone have any suggestions. May be a crazy idea. Thanks.

Hi Steve. Part of the solution will depend on how heavy the e-bikes are and tire size. We just got our Hollywood Racks RV Rider (HR1700). It's rated for 2 80lb e-bikes and up to 5" tires. A class 3 hitch is required. If you're going lighter you have more options.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
Hi Steve. Part of the solution will depend on how heavy the e-bikes are and tire size. We just got our Hollywood Racks RV Rider (HR1700). It's rated for 2 80lb e-bikes and up to 5" tires. A class 3 hitch is required. If you're going lighter you have more options.
Thank you.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #8

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #9

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #10

I installed a front receiver hitch on my 2017 Greyhawk because I might need to be towed out of the sand where we would often camp (had to 1 time). At the time the manufacturer didn't list it as fitting the E450 chassis but my brother had installed it on his unit and it went in without a hitch (pun intended).

It bolted right up with no problems. I did have to trim the plastic air dam a bit but that was no big deal. I mounted my front license plate on some 2" square tubing that slid right in and it completely hides the receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:20 AM   #11

I'd be reluctant to place anything in the front that might block a significant amount of air flow to the radiator, oil cooler, and power steering oil cooler (if equipped). The hitch mentioned by JimD is a great idea (I've seen this done to push a boat/trailer down a boat launch).

But mounting a bike rack into it with bikes might block air flow on a long trip at speed.

Perhaps someone who has done this though will chime in and say it did not cause any engine temp issues.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #12

When I looked into to this idea several years ago, I found that some states do not allow anything in front for fear it will obstruct your view. I would check with the states that your are planning on driving through.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'd be reluctant to place anything in the front that might block a significant amount of air flow to the radiator, oil cooler, and power steering oil cooler (if equipped). The hitch mentioned by JimD is a great idea (I've seen this done to push a boat/trailer down a boat launch).

But mounting a bike rack into it with bikes might block air flow on a long trip at speed.

Perhaps someone who has done this though will chime in and say it did not cause any engine temp issues.
I've installed a front hitch receiver on my Ford Excursion with the V10 carrying 2 bikes while towing a 26' TT. I had no issues with overheating. I don't think it blocks air flow all that much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	84029
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #14

Ebike on front

I added a front receiver and I mount my bike there with no problem.

The weight of your bike matters and I take off the battery.

https://kit.co/donkjr/rv-upgrade-mai...hitch-for-jayc
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210816_184637357.jpg  

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:31 AM   #15

I like this idea for short trips to the campground, but what about long excursions? I'd be concerned with having the bike(s) exposed to the elements so I'm thinking a cover would be in order. But then I think covered bikes in the front would limit airflow.

Thoughts?
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #16

Keep in mind that most ebikes have thicker, heavy duty frames and will block more air than a conventional pedal bike. Will it be enough to cause issues? You might find out.

What kind of car? Can you mount a 2" receiver on the car? Any of the bike racks that can handle the weight of 2 ebikes require a 2" receiver.

We have a Hollywood Racks Destination E. But we're using it with an aftermarket hitch on our 2019 GMC Terrain Denali. Just got back from a week trip, this rack is excellent.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...s/HLY66ZR.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
I like this idea for short trips to the campground, but what about long excursions? I'd be concerned with having the bike(s) exposed to the elements so I'm thinking a cover would be in order. But then I think covered bikes in the front would limit airflow.

Thoughts?
Yeah, covering them will just make a sail. As far as the elements, I wrap the controllers in cling wrap and tape that down. The motors are generally pretty waterproof, but I bought a "diaper" for my wife's Giant Lafree. It won't fit on my Trek though so I just leave it exposed. I wrap her battery cage also with cling wrap, and have a custom plug for the Bosch battery for my bike. We just drive 3 hours in pouring rain and everything that needed to stay dry did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connelly View Post
There are multiple solutions to this problem, several have already been suggested. We use a Gen-Y drop hitch to give us multiple hitch connection points. Then we put a Thule XTR Pro 2 bike rack in the top connection and our tow bar in the bottom connection. The Thule is rated for RV use and up to 60 pounds per bike so it works for our bikes (52 pounds without the battery). We also cover the bikes with this Team Obsidian XL heavy duty transportation carrier: https://www.amazon.com/TeamObsidian-...dp/B09PBXP7VZ/

Works well for us, but as I said, this is only one possible solution.