Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Cold weather camping Greyhawk 29MV

I am planning on doing a little cold weather camping in my 2016 Greyhawk 29MV equipped with tank heating pads. I will take a few jugs of fresh water so will not be using my fresh water tank or pumping out the anti freeze I have in the water lines. I would like to use the waste tanks, however. Does anyone know if the tank heaters heat all three tanks (fresh, grey, black)? Will using the heaters with an empty fresh tank cause problems? Do the heaters heat things up enough to protect the exposed tank drain pipes from freezing?

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

I have only seen a heat pad on black and grey, I do not think they would help keep drain pipes from freezing, all your traps should be on the inside if coach is warm they should not freeze. I believe the purpose is keep the tank itself liquid, how much cold they would control I have no Idea.I have camped in the low 30's with out a problem
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
I am planning on doing a little cold weather camping in my 2016 Greyhawk 29MV equipped with tank heating pads. I will take a few jugs of fresh water so will not be using my fresh water tank or pumping out the anti freeze I have in the water lines. I would like to use the waste tanks, however. Does anyone know if the tank heaters heat all three tanks (fresh, grey, black)? Will using the heaters with an empty fresh tank cause problems? Do the heaters heat things up enough to protect the exposed tank drain pipes from freezing?

Thanks for any info you can give me!
on the 29 MVs heat pads on all three tanks. The heat pad will not protect the pipes or drain valves. So be cautious of staying in areas where the temperatures are below 30 for extended amount of time. I have heard of other folks with 29MVs staying in areas where the temp drops to high 20s at night but will go up to 40 or more during the days and not have any issues.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Old Guy,

We once camped in our 2018 29MV for three days when the temperatures dropped each night to the high teens, but then went slightly above freezing during the day. The campground turned the water off at 7PM and back on at 9AM, so we cooked and showered before 7PM. I pulled the fresh water hose and put it in the shower so in the morning when it was time to reconnect, the hose was warm and pliable. I opened the low-point drains and the fresh water tank drain (which was already empty).

We put a heavy blanket over the opening into the cab, which helped immensely. I also used two 1500 watt portable electric heaters which kept the furnace from running (OK, I'm cheap, but I'd rather use the campgrounds electricity than my propane, plus I find that the furnace is a tad noisy).

The 29MV has an "open" belly, so anything below the finished floor is subject to the ambient temperatures which will cause freezing. I used the tank heaters and also opened the cabinets under the kitchen and bathroom sinks just in case there was any residual water in the lines. Our furry k9 family member (at 12 pounds) normally sleeps in her bed on the floor in the kitchen area, but the floor gets extremely cold, so she spent the nights in bed with us.

All-in-all it wasn't a bad time, just a learning experience, as this was the shake-down trip for our 29MV which we had received a week earlier.

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote