Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Dealer Service

Again as a newbie and owner of a new Greyhawk 26Y....I live in the UP of MI remote from a Jayco RV dealer, and bought my 26Y from RV Direct and picked it up in Florida (big kudos to company for cost and quality pic up etc ), but I have a few minor things of follow up...a switch that doesn't work, door won't stay shut, tv died, etc....will another Jayco deal honor warranty work done like car dealer networks do?

and something we wonder...is there supposed to be a screen for window above sink? that window opens but we didn't get a screen for it.
Rueckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Looks like the nearest Jayco dealer is about 2 hours from you. They are not required to do warranty work if you didn't buy from them, auto dealers are required to work on all vehicles per their agreement with the manufacture. You may get lucky since they are a small town dealer in the UP and probably dont do a lot of warranty work compared to large city dealers that turn people away, worth a call.

https://www.northernrvs.com
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

Why would a dealer be reluctant to do work if you did not buy from them?I do not remember any conversation about that we we purchase our fiver!
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #4

What I heard is if you do warranty service for like Ford...the individual deal bills that to Ford motor...but if I take my Jayco RV to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) they don't get paid for warranty work from Jayco...it comes from themselves...so reluctant to fix factory flaws
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Why would a dealer be reluctant to do work if you did not buy from them?I do not remember any conversation about that we we purchase our fiver!
Talking about warranty service, the larger dealers are so backed up they will only do warranty service for their customers, if you bought elsewhere your out of luck.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueckert View Post
What I heard is if you do warranty service for like Ford...the individual deal bills that to Ford motor...but if I take my Jayco RV to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) they don't get paid for warranty work from Jayco...it comes from themselves...so reluctant to fix factory flaws
Jayco will pay a non selling dealer for any approved warranty work. The problem is most non selling dealers will only service what they sell, some dont care and will do the repairs. Of course Jayco doesn't pay the dealer they same hourly rate they get on regular non warranty service.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Find you a good local mobile rv tech...call Jayco and get them to authorize the work. You then pay him and they repay you. Simple and you will like dealing with a local mobile rv tech much better.

If you don't know any rv techs in your area then call around to some local campgrounds and ask them who they recommend. They are familiar with the good ones and they use them. Most are better than dealer techs and have worked at dealers but got fed up with the nonsense and went out on their own.

I would never drive 2 hours to a dealer for service. Call Jayco and explain the situation to them and I bet they will authorize this.

And yes you should have a screen on any and all opening windows. Mention that to Jayco also. I would take pictures and document everything good. Offer to send all of the pictures and documentation to Jayco. Again explain the distance.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #8

Interesting...never heard of a local mobile RV tech...thanks...thanks all for the feedback
Old 09-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Rueck,

Mobile techs can save your butt sometimes, especially if you’re like me and are not too handy with tool work.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #10

Mobile RV service is great in most areas, but we are talking northern UP Michigan in the middle of nowhere. The nearest mobile service listed on the web is two plus hours away in Crystal Falls, you would have to get approval from Jayco to get paid back, they may not want to cover all that driving time. I would call the dealer and see if you can make an appointment, sounds like a TV may have to be ordered, screen and other parts to correct problems, this may take weeks for parts to arrive, easier to drop it off then pickup when done.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

Mobile techs are not all listed on google...call some local campgrounds and ask. They will have some guys they use. Remote areas like yours are these guys specialty!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #12

I go drive by the highway north of Green Bay and see the Wagners' Dealership for Jayco...will stop in and chew it up with them sometime...maybe give them some add on business like a sat dish install or slide toppers (why does Jaycom not have slide top awnings? grr). That's a bit of extra for them to deal with me...thanks for all the help and advice
Old 09-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Would not count on any reimbursement from Jayco for work done by a mobile! tech!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Site Team

As stated, mobile techs are very popular around large camping communities. I have no first hand but much 2nd hand info from others who have had the work done and satisfactorily by mobile techs. Many are rv'ers themselves and move with the seasons just like full timers.

Just make sure you discuss with Jayco and get the authorizations up front. Most campgrounds have bulletin boards with cards and can offer recommendations.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote