Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #1

Expanding battery box

I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting to the correct message board. I have a 31ft 2006 Class C Jayco Greyhawk. I am in the process of planning the installation of a solar system for the RV. My first challenge is to expand the battery storage compartment so that I can install two 6V golf cart batteries. The current box holds a single 12V battery. In planning a new box I will be able to use some of the existing mounting bolts but will need to have additional support to hold the additional battery weight. I do not know the typical thickness of the plywood subfloor for an RV and am wondering if I could use lag screws into the subfloor. A more complicated solution would be to weld brackets to the cross members for the additional support. I would appreciate any suggestions about how to accomplish adding extra support for the new battery box.

Tim
mytthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #2

Tim, I have a 2005 Greyhawk. I don't know if yours is the same as mine, I moved my batteries (added 4 instead of two) into the basement compartment to the rear of the battery compartment. On my model this is the compartment that goes all the way thru. I sealed the compartment to that side and put a vent in the door. You don't want the gases to float around. I put in a heavy duty slide-out tray with a heavy plywood base so I could more easily check or work on the batteries. They batteries weigh about 40 pounds each so I made sure it was right. I was right next to the batteries compartment so the wiring was close enough where I did not have to expend the leads running into it. I also have the solar and it keeps all four batteries charged. t is really nice when you are boondocking with out having power being one of the possible problems. Remember there are no dumb questions, so ask if you don't understand.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

ChuckD37

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my battery box is about half way along the driver side and under the slider section. I am trying to stay as close to the original box as possible.
mytthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

That is a good idea. Amazing how they change in only a year.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

My battery box is behind the rear wheels on the drivers side. I attached extra support to the frame to gain room for another battery.. Even though I had a welder handy I bolted everything. With a good sharp drill bit it isn't a problem. I don't think I would use lag bolts in to the floor. Going over a large bump they may pull out. Maybe if you can go through the floor under a cabinet then a bolt with washers should be good. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Have you looked at battery boxes that will fit in the existing section? I'd start there and probably re-use the existing hardware. Do note that the ventilation isn't great in that area...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote