Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

First trip out this year... Rained... 2 windows leaked!

Hi,

We took our 2014 Red Hawk 26XS out of the RV shelter, first time this year. We went down close to Myrtle Beach SC for the week. We have had zero water leaks in this RV, so far. Thursday night, with all the rain we had, the rear window frame and the rear curb side window frame leaked a bunch of water. Water ran from under the window frames, down the wall, and to the mattrus, bedding, pillows, and wood subfloor under the mattrus.

I waited for the rain to stop for a bit, then cleaned and ran a nice bead of 30 minute, 100% Silicone around the frame where it would meet the outer wall. I didn't get the top, but I did get the sides and bottom. It started to rain before I got to the top.

Still it leaked, same place, both windows. We loaded up and drove home a day early.

Don't know what to do other than finish cleaning around window frames and applying a nice bead around the frames.

My wife said she was tired of the Jayco and wanted to sell it. I am not happy with it, but know that this is all normal stuff when dealing with either an RV or a boat. Lots of maintenance and fixing things. I must admit, our 30' Airstream Land Yacht motor home we had for 11 years never had these problems, but we kept it clean and dealer maintained.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

Dry fit Windows I'm guessing. I pulled all 9 of our windows, lined with butyl and reinstalled. Never leaked to start with, but I'm all about preventative. Always seal the top and sides if you choose to go that route. Sealing sides and bottom will just make matters worse. Also, use geocel proflex. Silicone is not a good idea on any mh or trailer.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.

These windows are those frameless dark glass kind they are installing these days. Not my favorite.

I will change from silicone to the geocel proflex.

What thickness of butyl tape did you use? I've sed it on installing a metal roof, but nothing else.

Steve
Old 04-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

I think I used 2 layers of 1/8th". Either way, 1/8"'thick X 1/2" is what I used.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

Super! Thanks.

I'll be ordering some of each in a few minutes. Now, if I could find a video showing how to remove and install those frameless windows. I know how to handle the old style, but the new ones look different to me.

Steve
Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Removed the same way the framed ones are. Remove all but 4 screws on the inner clamp ring, have someone hold the window from outside, remove last 4 screws and window will come out. Sometimes might require a bit of prying, gently. The stock foam seal tape comes off pretty easy. You can use a heat gun or hair dryer to help though. Once removed, I cleaned the flange with mineral spirits, let dry, then installed the butyl tape. Then just reinstall the window and evenly torque screws on the clamp ring. You might find some windows to be out of center. Now is the time to correct that. I put tape markers around the window opening as guides to center the window. The butyl will squish out for a while. Just trim excess off.