Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
TWG

Freeze proof insulation - 2017 Melbourne

Does anybody know what the term "freeze proof insulation" really means? It is listed on the Melbourne specs. I will be in ~25 degree weather over some upcoming nights. Will turn on tank heaters, but was also curious about this feature since manual has no information....shocher! Haha

Thank you.
TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Sounds like another marketing name to make things sound better. RV manf. tend to create fancy names for regular old stuff. Guessing you already know to have liquids in the tanks to run the tank heaters, otherwise don't run them.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
TWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Sounds like another marketing name to make things sound better. RV manf. tend to create fancy names for regular old stuff. Guessing you already know to have liquids in the tanks to run the tank heaters, otherwise don't run them.
Yes, thank you...it has not been winterized and all will have liquids in them. It will be warming up during the day and the cold blast will only last a few days. Just wanted more of a "warm fuzzy" for assurance. But then, I don't think there is ever that with RVs. LOL
Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

It's takes me a few years to get any kind of fuzzy feelings about any rig. Just now getting comfortable with our latest one after a little over 2 years and a crazy amount of modifications. I know when we camp well below freezing, we'll either shower, disconnect the water hose and store, then run off of the fresh water tank until above freezing. Or if it'll be low temps for awhile, we'll fill the fresh water tanks and just run off of that. All the while we'll run the furnace at a lower temp with electric heat doing most of the work, plus the dehumidifier.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #5

We're in a Greyhawk but we just got back from a night in the low teens. It was a trial run for us. I picked up two cheap ($1 therometers) from Walmart and tossed one in the outside 'fridge compartment and one in the basement by the water control panel where all my water plumbing is.

To keep the fridge working, I did two things: switched it from elec to propane and plunked a 60 watt bulb inside the outer door. I duct taped the vents closed and sealed it up. I went outside after a few hours to check it and the thermostat read 65* F. So I consider that a good way to keep your fridge warm and working in cold temps.

Since I was already winterized, I just left both inside lights on in the basement. It might have been more due to the fact the coach was warm and passing heat down, but the basement stayed about 45*F. On an earlier winter camping run, I had tossed an electric heater down there and was able to keep it at 70*F.

This trip was also to test the electric blankets. We're a family of five and we had one king and three full sized electric blankets going all night. Furnace was turned down to 65*.

Everyone said they were warm and toasty all night. About the only thing I forgot to do was crack the vent to let out the moisture.

Other than that it seems like a good way to keep things warm and functional when you're below freezing.

Hope that helps!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
TWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We're in a Greyhawk but we just got back from a night in the low teens. It was a trial run for us. I picked up two cheap ($1 therometers) from Walmart and tossed one in the outside 'fridge compartment and one in the basement by the water control panel where all my water plumbing is.

To keep the fridge working, I did two things: switched it from elec to propane and plunked a 60 watt bulb inside the outer door. I duct taped the vents closed and sealed it up. I went outside after a few hours to check it and the thermostat read 65* F. So I consider that a good way to keep your fridge warm and working in cold temps.

Since I was already winterized, I just left both inside lights on in the basement. It might have been more due to the fact the coach was warm and passing heat down, but the basement stayed about 45*F. On an earlier winter camping run, I had tossed an electric heater down there and was able to keep it at 70*F.

This trip was also to test the electric blankets. We're a family of five and we had one king and three full sized electric blankets going all night. Furnace was turned down to 65*.

Everyone said they were warm and toasty all night. About the only thing I forgot to do was crack the vent to let out the moisture.

Other than that it seems like a good way to keep things warm and functional when you're below freezing.

Hope that helps!
Wow, those are some great tips! Thank you!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
TWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
It's takes me a few years to get any kind of fuzzy feelings about any rig. Just now getting comfortable with our latest one after a little over 2 years and a crazy amount of modifications. I know when we camp well below freezing, we'll either shower, disconnect the water hose and store, then run off of the fresh water tank until above freezing. Or if it'll be low temps for awhile, we'll fill the fresh water tanks and just run off of that. All the while we'll run the furnace at a lower temp with electric heat doing most of the work, plus the dehumidifier.
I have the hose disconnected which is a great idea. I also packed some styrofoam around the water hose inlets. Not sure if that will do anything, but I hope every little bit helps. We used a Vortex cool-to-the-touch space heater only on the second (it has three) level and it stayed nice and toasty, inside at least. I should probably get a few thermometers to keep an eye on thinks like @pconroy suggested.

Thank you!

Tags
insulation