Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

Fridge not working while travelling

Hi all. Have had our 2014 Greyhawk 31FK for less than a year. Otherthan a short (50 miles) overnight shakedown trip to 50 Point Park from Fort Erie, Ontario, we have taken 2 vacations. First one was to Minnesota for week in October to visit our son and the second to Florida in February. Both times we lost food and had to throw everything out. After first trip, we took it back to dealer. They said burner and chamber were dirty caused a weak flame. They cleaned it up and had much better flame afterwards. Then we go to Florida thinking everything ok. But by the time we get there, all food was warm, including stuff in freezer. Threw out 2 garbage bags (took pics). Emailed dealer right away. Waited 4 months for next appointment on June 10th. Now nearly 2 weeks have gone by and I had to call them for an update. Service advisor had an actual tech talk to me. He told me what they have already done. Could not find a problem with it. Cleaned burner again. Ran it for couple hours and swtching back and forth from AC power to DC. It switches over just fine. Finally today they are going to put a cup of water in both fridge and freezer and leave it run on propzne overnight to see what happens. I will get a results update Monday morning. The tech did tell me however, that there have been problems with the flame blowing out while on the road in RV's that have the fridge at rear where wind swirl can get in the access grill. Remedy was to install a metal shield. Not sure if true. Our fridge is right behind the cab passenger door hence the FK in the model for front kitchen and have never heard of this happening before. When in Florida, we stopped at Fort Myers Czmping World. Their shop manager had a quick look. Said there was a good flame but the black tubing and canister where the cooling magic happens had no temperature change happening. This is not our first rv. We rented a Sunseeker once and owned a Sprotsman tt. Both had nearly identical Norcold fridges in them as our GH. It is still under extended warranty but don't think I should have to pzy the deductible to fix or replace something that, as far as I am concerned, has not worked since we bought it.
Sorry for the long post. Tired of throwing out food and $$$. Just frustrated.

Big Daddio
Big Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

One thing that may or may not be an issue is that the "gas supply line" will purge with air after sitting for a few days. When you got to switch from shore power to gas, the fridge will prime and run the ignitor for a brief period before returning an error code that it did not light.

In my case sometimes I have to turn it off and back on 3 to 4 times before it purges all of the air and the burner ignites. I don't think this is necessarily a design fault, just life of having gas lines that sit and lose their pressure over time. After long dormant periods I will fire all my stove burners to purge some of the air, then fire the fridge and wait and verify that the burner has ignited before continuing to rely on it.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddio View Post
It is still under extended warranty but don't think I should have to pzy the deductible to fix or replace something that, as far as I am concerned, has not worked since we bought it.
Sorry for the long post. Tired of throwing out food and $$$. Just frustrated.

Big Daddio
It has to be a problem unique to your coach, otherwise you would see many other complaints. Since you bought it used I would ask the dealer for the name of the person who traded it in to see if they had similar problems. If you lose the flame the fridge will beep and let you know right away that it is not working. If it is not doing that you may have a defective circuit board. If your not losing the flame then you probably have a defective cooling system, or the flame is not high enough.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

Big Daddio,

What is the model of your Norcold? We have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV and had a similar issue with our Norcold N821RT unit. When we started arriving at campgrounds with a warm refrigerator, we couldn't figure out why this was happening. When we sit at a campground plugged into shore power, or boondock and use propane, or sit at home preparing for a trip, everything works as it should. On the coldest setting, we could get the refrigerator down into the high 20's (F), which is actually too cold. So what happens when we leave home with a 30 degree F refrigerator and arrive two or three hours later at a campground with a 60 degree F refrigerator?

What we have deduced through a lot of trial and error is that we have a draft problem. When we drive in colder weather with the cab windows closed, or warm weather with the A/C on and the windows closed, the refrigerator works perfectly. But when we travel in nicer weather and have the cab windows open, then we have a problem. We also know that the flame is operating properly and does not go out when we drive with the windows open as there is no error code showing on the Norcold's digital display.

After a lot of back and forth between our dealer, me and Norcold, they recommended we have a shield/baffle installed in the area where the refrigerator vent attaches on the roof. The dealer followed specifications from Norcold and did the installation. We were without the MH for 2 days. We took the MH on a trip shortly thereafter and found the same thing...cab windows open equals a warm refrigerator. We were not happy campers!

So another call to the dealer, who called Norcold and through a lot of prodding found that Norcold has a down-draft kit that is supposed to cure this very problem. Someone told me that when we drive with the cab windows open there is too much air coming into the MH and exiting up through the refrigerator's vent system, which is causing the refrigerator to warm instead of cool. Back to the dealer (thank goodness it's only a 45 minute drive and a few days wait for an appointment) for the installation of the down-draft kit. It was installed about 2 weeks ago. We leave in 4 days for a 7 night trip so this will be the testing for the new down-draft kit.

We have a digital thermometer with a three foot lead. The lead stays in the refrigerator and the actual thermometer sits on the counter or in the microwave when we are driving so it doesn't fall. I guess I could mount it on the wall but I don't like drilling holes and I'm hoping the new kit has fixed the problem so we don't need it. Every 30 minutes or so my DW will check the temperature so we don't have to keep opening and closing the door.

If your Norcold is acting like ours, and only malfunctions when you are driving, and not while you are stationary, then you and your service folks need to call Norcold and ask them about the down-draft kit. I cannot guarantee that this is the fix, but hopefully I'll have results in a week.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks guys. The fridge has not beeped any no flame warnings. Only low battery voltage fault code because had a dead cell in house battery. Replaced battery. No more faults. That was when we got to son's place in Minn last October. ( as commercial ssles manager at an O'Reiley's, got battery at cost, $93.) I am more inclined to think there something wrong with the heat exhanging system in the fridge itself. Although it works excellent on shore power. Will find out more on monday after dealer techs do an overnight freeze test and some kind of trsting check list from Norcold. Meanwhile it sits at dealer and I have no way to pick up my mew dolly for Spak toad
Big Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

If I have room I carry 2 quart size freezer packs. If the cooling cuts off it will keep everything cold for hours once it is down to operating temp.

A home made way is to freeze cool aid with sugar (not diet). Start half, add after frozen 1/4 or it will freeze and burst your water bottle. Last is just to partially fill some disposable water bottles, freeze, add, freeze till close to full.

Or you can pick up 5 pounds dry ice, half freezer, half fridge wrapped in paper. Should keep it cold 2 or 3 days. Will work in power outages in home also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

I have same exact issue with mine for last two years. been living with it so far. don't like it, but I don't have the time to fart around at dealers and repair shops that have no idea how to fix it. Waiting to see how Love to Travel 2's situation turns out. Maybe that is the fix.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote