Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Gel Cell battery

I have a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME Class C motor home.

Can I replace the Wet Cell house battery with a Gel Cell battery? If I can, do I need to replace anything?

Thanks for your info.
GerryDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #2

Gel cell or AGM? Many people think they are one in the same but they are different. You can swap to AGM without any issues, gel needs a different charge profile and in fact gel cell batteries are not commonly used for RV's whereas AGM's are and require no changes to your charging system.

BTW, welcome with the JaycoOwners website.

~CA
Old 04-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #3

Thank you craigav
Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Gel cell or AGM? Many people think they are one in the same but they are different. You can swap to AGM without any issues, gel needs a different charge profile and in fact gel cell batteries are not commonly used for RV's whereas AGM's are and require no changes to your charging system.

BTW, welcome with the JaycoOwners website.

~CA
Do you have any experience with AGM battery?

I was told that if an AGM battery is fully discharged you will need a special charger for it. Is that true?

Thanks.

Gerry
Old 05-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryDe View Post
Do you have any experience with AGM battery?

I was told that if an AGM battery is fully discharged you will need a special charger for it. Is that true?

Thanks.

Gerry
Yes, I have some AGM batteries in a few of my vehicles, the issue you are speaking about is more about the charger than it is about the battery type. Most new chargers will not start charging a totally dead battery but the old style chargers will charge them, once the battery is up to around ~10 volts then the new style chargers will work. The is because the newer chargers will not sense a battery is even connected if the voltage is too low in the battery. Another way to do this which I have used, is to start the AGM battery charging with the charger, and if the charger doesn't indicate it is connected to a battery, then use jumper cables to the discharged battery from a good battery to bring the voltage up a little on the discharged battery, once the charger starts charging then you can disconnect the jumper cables. ~Craig
Old 05-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

I installed an AMG Deep Cycle battery in my TT this past fall. So far I like it.

Most if not all cars now all come with AMG batteries now days. I have not heard of anyone having issues charging up a dead battery using an old battery charger.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #7

Thank you craigav and Jagiven, your feedback has inspired me to get an AGM Deep Cycle battery.
Note: The AGM battery will be replacing the House Battery in my RV. Usually when my current House Battery dies, I just have to run the engine for a few minutes and the battery gets fully charged. I am assuming that that will also work for the AGM battery.
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #8

Be sure to get a deep cycle AGM battery. FYI, an AGM battery will not be any different in use than what you are replacing if that is a lead acid battery (other than no water to check or add). In either case, the battery (regardless of battery type) may certainly come back to life with a few minutes of charge, but to get a full charge it will generally take ~ a couple of hours of charge or more, not too mention that if you want the battery(s) to last a lot longer, don't discharge it all the way before recharging it, most battery mfgs recommend not discharging below 50~75% or somewhere in that range. ~CA
Old 05-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #9

Thanks again craigav.

GerryDe