Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #21
Nan

RV Trip Wizard. You put your RV stats in and it will guide you away from any hard to drive areas and keep you away from low bridges according to your stats. And lots more. Check it out.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #22

Yes Garmin is good ..I have this model too.
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
If you have service…..not a.ways accurate IMO
Not correct. You can download Google maps for off line use and GPS does not require a signal. While your road information is complete, you will not have some of the ancillary info such as hotels, gas stations, etc. available. But it absolutely works off line.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
Not correct. You can download Google maps for off line use and GPS does not require a signal. While your road information is complete, you will not have some of the ancillary info such as hotels, gas stations, etc. available. But it absolutely works off line.
Also no indication of restrictions to some roads when using google maps
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #25

If you trust Google Maps as your sole navigation device in an RV, you will wind up in trouble eventually. I use it all the time in my car and I have still run into dead ends and other problems with it. I still use it as a good reference when planning my Garmin 760 Route. Mainly when in the RV I stick to US Routes and State Highways, as I like to avoid Interstates and county roads. Safe Travels!
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #26

We've been using Garmin 760 LMT and always have been good for us, also like the bigger screen. Prefer to know in advance where there are low bridge and in a couple of places in New York, we were over weight for a certain bridge and the GPS made us go around that road. One other time, we got in advance warning that the road we just turn had a low bridge ahead. Like some mention earlier, I always look at my traveling in Google maps as some time, the GPS make you go around things for nothing, better be prepared first. To bad our motorhome does not have Apple play built in the radio.
Malyhupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #27

Ram Uconnect can lead you astray. Be careful using that.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Garmin 890 or 1090, made for RV’s
Enough said. Solid units.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #29

I have been using the Garmin 780, which has been very accurate so far. Like others do, I plan with google and map to the garmin. Garmin is much more accurate for drive time, because it is based on rv speed limits restrictions.

For giggles, I ran both garmin and google maps and listened to the girls fight it out, LOL.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #30

Thank you all.
I did order Garmin 890 and I love it. Up in New Hampshire mountains there is little to no signal but this 890 had it all the time. Worth every penny and finally i can drive comfortably without any worries.
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Google Maps

Free

Simple

Always accurate
Sure...except when you pulling a large 5ver, the roads are under construction and Google Maps takes you on back roads that no 5ver should be on unless you live on that road. We left the Garmin GPS at home because we "knew" where we were going. But they had emergency road repairs that we didn't count on. So brand new trailer was scratched up. And we had to literally pull off the road, pull in the mirrors just so another pick-up truck could go past us.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Best I've use is the Garmin, but it has few models. Currently using the Garmin DriveSmart 65. Used several different Garmin GPS. This one has a very clean look. Slim and not heavy. The device graphics are sharp and very clear.
Victoanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #33
Site Team

I would not purchase any stand alone GPS that did not include free map updates. First one I had cost more for the yearly updates than the unit cost new. My current Garmin 760 has free updates and they are updated more often the the older ones.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not purchase any stand alone GPS that did not include free map updates. First one I had cost more for the yearly updates than the unit cost new. My current Garmin 760 has free updates and they are updated more often the the older ones.

Yep, I agree I have the RV785 Garmin.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:37 AM   #35

At present I am traveling (and towing) to known areas so I have not bought a dedicated RV GPS, but I probably will snag one at some point. The avoidance of low clearances in particular is of interest to me. For now, the RV Life app on my iPhone is adequate.

My first GPS was a Garmin chart plotter back in 2003. It weighed as much as a brickbat, and was nearly as large as one. It sat on the dash with a beanbag type mount. In some states the obstruction of view would probably get one a ticket. And as another poster noted above, the annual updates were pricey.

My wife and I learned the hard way that relying solely on a GPS for a route can get one into trouble. The GPS took us through an area of Atlanta, GA that one should avoid (with a view to the reality of "you aren't from around here, are you"" types of issues). Thankfully it was daylight, and we did not get robbed or carjacked. At night the story might have been different. We now do a multi-point review of the GPS route, paper maps data, and road intel from other travelers.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion. I appreciate the heads up provided by the comments on the RV specific units.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #36
RPR

X2 on the above. We use multi tools to plan a new route. Maps, GPS, Google maps and earth, common sense and scenic drive. My brother in law drives me crazy. He says he has to go where his GPS app tells him where to go. It’s bit him more than once.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Google Maps

Free

Simple

Always accurate
I would go against this. Last time I went to Watkins Glen raceway in NY, Google maps sent me down a seasonal mountainous dirt road.....twice.

I haven't swore that much in decades.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #38

Pardon me, I'm new to this.

All my life I have depended on maps and my navigator. Now I don't have my navigator, so I've learned to depend on a GPS or Navigation system. Unfortunate, but true. I got tired of stopping at each intersection to check which way to go. Also, sometimes the street/road signs are woefully lacking.

I've depended on Google maps on my phone in my car. Monday I am taking possession of an RV. I'm glad I found this thread because it brings up issues I had never thought of - heights, road conditions, etc.

So, let's recap the suggestions and see if we can clarify. Seems that Garmin is preferred.
  • Garmin 760, 760 LMT (is this the same as Garmin 760 or an upgraded version?), 780, 1090, RV785 Garmin, Garmin DriveSmart 65, and just plain Garmin
  • RV Trip Wizard: Not really a GPS. Access to internet is required. It does look like it would be good for planning.
  • Rand McNally GPS: Many different models at many different prices. Can you be a little more specific?
The link provided by Victoanch is very helpful.

Question: When it says built-in WiFi does that mean for getting updates (like at home) or does the rig need to have WiFi?

As you can tell, this is all new to me. I need a GPS For Dummies book.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #39

My Garmin 785 is about a year old now. It has Lifetime Updates, WiFi and Bluetooth. I use the WiFi at home to do the updates without having to remove it from the vehicle. The Bluetooth links to my Bluetooth in the truck which then has hands free telephone usage, traffic, etc.

I like the bigger screen and the ability to use the Voice Commend features such as searching for gas stations, restaurants, and route changes without even touching the GPS….extremely handy, especially in traffic. I also love the built-in dash cam that starts recording as soon as I start the truck.

It’s the best Garmin I have ever own, but it is expensive. With the magnetic mount I just remove it and store it out of sight.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #40

Yep, I agree I like my RV785 Garmin.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote