Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Greyhawk Exhaust Tailpipe

I had a blowout on the passenger side rear tire. Apparently the tire hit the mud flap bracket which in turn hit the tailpipe. Instead of exhausting straight out the side behind the tires, my pipe is shorter and tilted up at a 20 degree angle and now pointing up towards the shower.

Anyone with a similar rig know what piece came off? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4885.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	41931
bobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

I do not own one, but I am sure one of the members that does will respond with the information that you need.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Had the same type of blowout in Texarkana last Friday while headed from Dallas to the Nashville area. My tailpipe ended up pointing upward as well. Split the wiring harness and all of the wires, damaged the showerpan, broke off the shower drain pipe, and damaged the walls of two storage areas down below. My slide on the opposite end is out about 4 inches on the bottom only which I suspect is from shorting out when the wires split.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

Year and which model would help us. Greyhawk or Redhawk?

I definitely would take it to a muffler shop and have them straighten it and possibly add a extension on to get the fumes out from under the coach. Not good if you get stopped in traffic.

How old were your tires?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

2008 Greyhawk.
I'll head over to the muffler shop Monday.
Thanks to all.
bobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

On our previously owned 2009 Greyhawk 31FS, there was a 3/16" plate of steel that was welded on the tail pipe. We had a blow out on the passenger side. The steel plate was ripped from the tail pipe, but it took all the damage. The tail pipe itself was fine. The driver's side did not have a similar bracket behind the tires, glad we didn't have a blow out on that side.

Fortunately, the only other damage was the coax cable to the bedroom TV got cut in half.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

Best to go by age of tires for replacement...not just how they look or how much tread is left.

I have seen 5-7 year old tires look almost new but running them is like having a time bomb riding with you.

Keep the pressures correct, don't overload your coach, run good name brand tires and replace them every 4-5 years depending on how much use they get.

Doing this will help prevent all the cost from blowouts damaging the motorhome.

Just sitting without moving for months at a time will break a tire down. Part of the exercise of the generator every month is to put a load on it but it's also important to drive the motorhome for 30 min or so to get the tires hot.

Hoping all gets fixed OK and your up and running again shortly. No fun having problems like this. Be sure to check all your other tires. I;m sure you will but might be time to replace them. Your 2008 is over 10 years old now!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #8

Had a blowout on the right inner dually tire on our Greyhawk on I-95 in May. It blew the mud flap off and twisted the mud flap hanger like a rubber band. The tailpipe did not move, but it broke the weld on the inside end of the heat shield atop the exhaust pipe and bent the shield up. The local Meineke Muffler shop fixed it.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:49 PM   #9

hope you can help, new to the forum. I have a 2016 Greyhawk 31 ds. Do you know how many and where are the exhaust hangers. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen and as not sure if any hanger were taken.
Thanks in advance.
PS, how do i post a question on this forum?.
magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I had a blowout on the passenger side rear tire. Apparently the tire hit the mud flap bracket which in turn hit the tailpipe. Instead of exhausting straight out the side behind the tires, my pipe is shorter and tilted up at a 20 degree angle and now pointing up towards the shower.

Anyone with a similar rig know what piece came off? Attachment 41931

About any garage or vehicle repair shop can straighten and add to that pipe.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee View Post
hope you can help, new to the forum. I have a 2016 Greyhawk 31 ds. Do you know how many and where are the exhaust hangers. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen and as not sure if any hanger were taken.
Thanks in advance.
PS, how do i post a question on this forum?.
Hi Magee, welcome. The diagram below shows the typical ford E450 exhaust layout. There is a hanger right upstream of the catalyst (#4 in the drawing) at the junction of the left and right side header pipes (#1), and the next hanger is downstream directly in front of the muffler (#8). As others here have said any good muffler shop can sort this out for you easily.
Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
E450 exhaust diagram.jpg