Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Greyhawk front hitch/ spare tire?

I am installing a front hitch on our '15 Greyhawk. I currently carry my spare tire on a rear hitch mounted carrier, but am wanting to carry bikes/kayaks on the back for an upcoming trip. My concern is airflow with the tire up front. Anybody done this? Problems?

Thanks in advance!!

SS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

I do not know the weight distribution between the front and rear axles on a 31FS, but I could not add a hitch, mounting rack and spare on the front end of our 31FK. The first time I took it across a set of CAT scales I was surprised to learn that my front axle was 140 pounds over the max capacity (GAWR) of 5000 pounds.

We rearranged the cargo and got it down to 60 pounds under the max. But that would not leave me enough front axle capacity to hang all that weight on the front end. If you have not weighed your rig, you may want to consider doing so.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply, NC Roamer! I did weigh our FS on one of our first trips, and loaded for travel our concern was certainly over the rear axle of the coach. We have been able to keep our weight just under the max, with room to spare over the front axle. Our front axle came in at 4600lb. , so we are ok with the front hitch. The FS and FK are slightly different, as our large slides are in opposite locations. I think that makes up the difference in the FS being lighter in front.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote