Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #21

Goldenbetty, what campgrounds do you visit .
I live in Slidell and stay at buccaneer, reunion lake, Hollywood and Paul b Johnson.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbetty View Post
LjNasa, How much fuel does your generator use with both AC's running and you are dry camping?

I use about 1/2 gallon an hour with my 31FS with air running.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #23

@The Logans - I dry camp a lot too so could you explain to me why a tankless water heater is bad for dry camping.

Also, where did you put the other battery.

Thanks, Jake
n2bowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2bowling View Post
@The Logans - I dry camp a lot too so could you explain to me why a tankless water heater is bad for dry camping.

Also, where did you put the other battery.

Thanks, Jake

I think the complaint is that you push more cold water down the drain, waiting for the hot water with a tankless.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #25

Our 4K Onan uses about 1/2 a gallon per hour. The amount of load doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #26

Tankless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I think the complaint is that you push more cold water down the drain, waiting for the hot water with a tankless.
As explained by our plumber... A tank-less water can work well in the home, because the attached circuit board (computer) monitors inlet water temperature, rate of flow (volume) and pressure, several times a second, and adjusts the outlet pressure and temperature based on the demand throughout the home, or at that one outlet. He said that RV tank-less water heaters that functioned that way on mobile platforms (RVs) would be so expensive that there wouldn't be much of a market for them.

The fluctuation of volume and flow by the water pump can freeze or scald you faster than the RV system can adjust. He said that adding a 5 gallon accumulator tank to a tank-less system can ease the fluctuations, but then why bother with a tank-less system in the first place?

I was only scalded once while dry camping... never again.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 10-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #27

Second battery

"Where did you put the second battery?"

We had the put in the second battery (Dual Interstate batteries) as part of the deal. There was room in the slide out battery tray for a second battery.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
IMO, you'll need to decide which is more important, the FP you prefer/like the best, or the other extras you mentioned.

Jimp, You summarized it succinctly: do I value floor plan more or the other extras. According to many, floor plan is king, and I partly agree with that statement assuming most of your must have features are included. Someone, somewhere on this forum wrote that all the agony and comparisons made during shopping become noise once you actually buy your coach. After purchase, you just start enjoying it and all the pros/cons during the pre-purchase phase seem to become less important.

To that end, I think I can live without a built-in outside TV and just bring one along with me.

I can live without the enclosed tanks/dump valves. I wanted them more for keeping them clean from road debris versus keeping them from freezing.

I can install my own slide toppers or work them into the deal.

I decor and finish of the Greyhawk "feels" a bit nicer than the Forester products. The build quality is probably the same, but the "visual appeal" gives a better impression. That in and of itself isn't worth the extra $5,000 price increase over the Forester, but I think the floor plan might be. I'll need to ponder this a bit more.

One point I have to consider is resale later on. If this 31DS side isle floor plan has been dropped by all other brands, then it probably doesn't have a big market and may be more difficult to sell privately later.
Sacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #29

Before I bought my Jayco I met an independent RV mechanic that works on ALL RV's. He told me that Jayco's 2 year warranty is hard to beat and they don't deny claims like most others do. He also said to stay away from the Forest River, Hornet and one other brand I cannot remember based on how often they deny claims. This was a couple years ago and things may have improved. I did purchase a slide topper per his recommendation (thru dealer) and it was an extra $$500 onto the selling price.
I would try to talk with some "owners" of River Forest to see if this is true?
Good luck with your purchase

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #30

We go to Fairview-Riverside, Paul B Johnson, Timberlake Campground outside of Jackson, Ms, on the Ross Barnett Reservoir (you would really like this one).
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #31

@Kayak - How can a company deny a legitimate claim?
n2bowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #32

That is a good question for which I cannot answer. The tech that told me that worked 4 days a week at an RV dealer (not Jayco) at least 40 hours per week and Fri-Sunday in his own shop. He now works full-time for himself.
But this why I suggested asking "owners" of that brand so you can first hand knowledge.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #33

Campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
Goldenbetty, what campgrounds do you visit .
I live in Slidell and stay at buccaneer, reunion lake, Hollywood and Paul b Johnson.
I posted my response a little further down in this discussion. There is another RV park in Biloxi, Boomtown RV park, which we plan on visiting in the near future. Hollywood has changed so much since Katrina. Many trees were lost, and it is near impossible to get a shady site there. Davis Bayou in Ocean Springs is very nice and quiet. So much to see, and I know we will enjoy a Class C over our fifth-wheel, less work!
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote