Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Hatch magnets advice appreciated

Hello Friends,
We have a class c with several basement compartments that open up and don’t stay up. The magnets we bought on eBay don’t hold. The doors fall back down.

Anyone have recommendations? Links appreciated!

Also, the ones we bought can be screwed on or peeled and stuck. Screwing requires making holes in the doors and body. But, do the peel and stick ones fall off eventually?

Thanks all!
Sheltietreasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

Why not add storage door latches since they are used on many brands.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1654944267?ii...AaAjwnEALw_wcB
Old 07-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy. That is probably the best idea. We wanted something we could use one handed, while the other hand held the item for storage, but if none of the magnets work, the clips make a lot of sense.

The link helped me to quickly understand your suggestion. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #4

It was relatively easy to do. I purchased the magnets off Amazon (item recommended by this forum), and mounted them with stainless screws (silicone in the holes first). Drilling the compartment door was easy as I mounted the magnet on the metal trim, however, I was a bit nervous drilling the other magnet mounting holes as they were in the fiberglass side wall of the RV above the compartment door. However, I simply ran the drill in reverse at first while drilling through the gel coat base (a tip a friend showed me so as not to cause any gel coat chipping), then finished drilling in forward after penetrating the gel coat base. After installing them, I ran a clear bead of silicone around the magnet that was mounted on the sidewall just to be safe. Easy peasey! A shallow depth hole is all that is needed to accommodate your screw length. These magnets are VERY STRONG, and one will hold open a large compartment door very easily.

You will not be disappointed with these magnets, they are very very strong and UV resistant.

Here is the Amazon link for the magnets:

Check this out at Amazon.com
#1 Selling/Rated - Magnetic Baggage Door Catch - Holder - Clip - Latch for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motor Home, Cargo Trailer, Boat Compartments - Replaces Plastic Spring Clips (Black 2-Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INZ7XV2..._MMLaFbYYY1X0E
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

Here are a couple pics. If they post sideways, sorry but I can'tClick image for larger version

Name:	20200705_185940.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	60793

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_185950.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	60794 figure out how to correct that. Lol
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
It was relatively easy to do. I purchased the magnets off Amazon (item recommended by this forum), and mounted them with stainless screws (silicone in the holes first). Drilling the compartment door was easy as I mounted the magnet on the metal trim, however, I was a bit nervous drilling the other magnet mounting holes as they were in the fiberglass side wall of the RV above the compartment door. However, I simply ran the drill in reverse at first while drilling through the gel coat base (a tip a friend showed me so as not to cause any gel coat chipping), then finished drilling in forward after penetrating the gel coat base. After installing them, I ran a clear bead of silicone around the magnet that was mounted on the sidewall just to be safe. Easy peasey! A shallow depth hole is all that is needed to accommodate your screw length. These magnets are VERY STRONG, and one will hold open a large compartment door very easily.

You will not be disappointed with these magnets, they are very very strong and UV resistant.

Here is the Amazon link for the magnets:

Check this out at Amazon.com
#1 Selling/Rated - Magnetic Baggage Door Catch - Holder - Clip - Latch for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motor Home, Cargo Trailer, Boat Compartments - Replaces Plastic Spring Clips (Black 2-Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INZ7XV2..._MMLaFbYYY1X0E
I used the same ones!! They are awesome. I did not drill. Just used 3m automotive double sided tape.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #7

I installed stainless steel latches with 3M Super Strength Automotive Molding Tape. They look good, they are strong and they never fall off.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-baggage-do...ainless-steel/
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

I did exactly the same as K9Nardu. One of the best modifications made. Been in place now for about 2 years now.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

The key is the double-sided tape. If you get the real 3M high bond stuff, you should be good to go without screws. I've been running mine for over a year now? Maybe longer? With no problems, and no screws. One of the problems is that some of these latches come with off-brand or counterfeit 3M tape. Just make sure you have the REAL stuff, and you should be good.

The other key IMO is surface prep. You want to make sure you have as clean a surface as you can get before you apply the tape. I used those little individually packed alcohol wipes (because I have boxes of them all over the place) and like I said, no problems.

Installation is SUPER easy. Eyeball where you want your latches, test for fitment/operation, and do your surface prep. Then apply the tape to one side of the latch and tape that same latch to the door. Then magnet the other side of the latch against the one you just attached, apply the tape (leaving the last side covered for now), then open the door all the way up for one last fitment check. Then remove the last little piece of tape cover, and press the whole works up against the side of the coach. You're pressing BOTH sides of the latch against the door AND the side of the coach at this point. Hold it there for a minute or so, then I like to release the magnet and press a bit longer on each side of the latch to make sure I have good adhesion.

For the hatches where I can't use magnetic latches, I use Hatch Lift brand kits. You could probably source the individual parts cheaper than buying a kit from Hatch-lift, but IMO, it's worth it to have everything you need all in one box that you know will fit (assuming you did your part correctly with the measurements).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. Very kind of you to provide such detailed help! The good magnet products are just too pricey right now given all the other mods we have made recently. We ordered the plastic clip kind for now. 12 for 13$ on eBay. That tape is a marvel, isn’t it. We’ve used it for many things.

If the clips don’t hold up for the long haul, we may decide to spring for the magnets.

Really appreciate all the help. You guys rock!

Thank you, and thank you for wearing a mask...it really makes my immuno compromised soul mate, and I feel so much better about getting out. I know they are a pain, but we really appreciate your helping us with that!
Old 07-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #11

I posted that I used some dime sized neodymium magnets from Home Depot (<$10 for a big pack). I painted them to match the exterior then hot glued them to the sides.

On the doors, I used dime sized steel washers (< $1.00) also hot glued.

I don't care if they fall off after a season.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I posted that I used some dime sized neodymium magnets from Home Depot (<$10 for a big pack). I painted them to match the exterior then hot glued them to the sides.

On the doors, I used dime sized steel washers (< $1.00) also hot glued.

I don't care if they fall off after a season.
I was wondering how long hot glue would last. Doesn't seem to last very long at all on the things I've tried to use it on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I was wondering how long hot glue would last. Doesn't seem to last very long at all on the things I've tried to use it on...

We'll see.
I did upgrade to a decent brand of glue stick awhile back - Gorilla Glue.
It's held up better that the sticks that came with the gun.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
We'll see.
I didn't know Gorilla Glue made sticks. Or maybe I did and didn't really pay any mind... I might have to grab a pack of those next time I see them.

Elmer's school glue might be equal or better than the stuff that comes with the gun...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Elmer's school glue might be equal or better than the stuff that comes with the gun...

Oh yeah - those sticks that come with the gun are about as good at holding as old scotch tape. That's wet. And covered with dog hair.

I bought a decent Stanley glue gun years ago and the stanley sticks were OK. When they were used up, I saw the GG branded ones. They've been good. I've used them for a lot of projects.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
We'll see.

Update - failure.

The Gorilla Glue hasn't held up since this post. Just about all magnets have failed to stay attached.

Back to the drawing board!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Update - failure.

The Gorilla Glue hasn't held up since this post. Just about all magnets have failed to stay attached.

Back to the drawing board!
Good to know. I've been keeping my eye out for those the few times we've gone to a store lately, and I haven't seen them.

Go with the genuine 3M VHB double-sided tape. It hasn't let me down (pun intended)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV