Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Hellwig Springs-Jayco has it right

I spent the better part of a day working on adjusting the Hellwigs, only to realize that their correct to begin with. I started to adjust the forward part of the spring down to 3 inches, and found that it was coming to within 1/4 inch of the frame shackle support. I thought this can't be right. Then I measured the rear Hellwig to factory spring distance and found it already at 3 inches on both sides. So it's set up to 4 inches on the front and 3 inches on the back, which sounds wrong, but is actually perfectly fine according to Hellwig. The support at the back is the one that does the real work, and the center to end of spring distance is not the same at both ends on the Hellwigs. Here is a Hellwig design engineer who confirms that the different measurements front to back is fine. I might add that Hellwig's website is not very good. Download instructions? Sorry that part is under construction, from a company that's been around for a long time.

t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

I agree 100 % with your measurements
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

That is how I adjusted mine
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I spent the better part of a day working on adjusting the Hellwigs, only to realize that their correct to begin with. I started to adjust the forward part of the spring down to 3 inches, and found that it was coming to within 1/4 inch of the frame shackle support. I thought this can't be right. Then I measured the rear Hellwig to factory spring distance and found it already at 3 inches on both sides. So it's set up to 4 inches on the front and 3 inches on the back, which sounds wrong, but is actually perfectly fine according to Hellwig. The support at the back is the one that does the real work, and the center to end of spring distance is not the same at both ends on the Hellwigs. Here is a Hellwig design engineer who confirms that the different measurements front to back is fine. I might add that Hellwig's website is not very good. Download instructions? Sorry that part is under construction, from a company that's been around for a long time.

Our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV handles superbly with the stock Jride Plus suspension and no adjustments to the Hellwig helper springs. We have sixteen thousand plus miles on the Greyhawk and have driven from coast to coast for the past 2 years. It has the best ride of any motorhome I have ever owned including Class A's. We tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler behind us.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

I bought mine used a 09 Greyhawk the springs did not have any load on them the nuts on the square clamp were at the end of the clamp
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote