Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

How do you fill water tank with no hose connector?

I came across this situation last September and trying to figure out what or if I could have done anything differently. I was dry camping in Sequoia Natl. Park. 2 moms, Grandma, and 5 kids. Naturally I needed to go and dump and refill our water tank several times on this trip. When I went to refill the water tank, the hose at the fill station had no connector for me to attach to the City Water connection on my Redhawk. The hose just had a cut end. Myself and my sister in law were trying to figure out what to do and how to get water into our tank. A trailer pulls up behind us and the guys get out to help. They said their trailer and most other rv's/trailers will have a tank you can just feed the hose into to fill the water tank. My 2015 Redhawk does not have that, as far as I know. They were eventually able to hook up a hose connection for us. Thank goodness they were around, because I do not know what I would have done with 8 people and no water in our until for days.

My question is, is there any way to fill up our water tanks when you have no hose connector? I am a mom who takes the kids out often in our Redhawk and hate being helpless. I would like to know what to do in case I fun across that situation again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0404.jpg   IMG_0405.jpg   IMG_0409.jpg  
True Romance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Did you look on the other side? It doesn't have to be by the others in the photos. Both rvs I've had it was by the main front door.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

Not that I know of that is why I carry on of those hose repair kits I can slip it in the cut hose and put the clamp on, sometimes people cut them off for some reason, even to fill from a jug on country fill you need the hose end.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

I have never seen a place to put a hose like this into. I would love to hear where it is located if I am just missing it.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

My 5th wheel is the same way, there is only a threaded female hose end to attach a fill hose to. Do yourself a favor and go to the hardware store or Amazon and order hose repair pieces. Order/buy a male, female, and a splice pieces, I like the brass ones that have a hose barb and you clamp on. This way if this happens again or one of your hoses ever cracks or breaks you aren’t SOL. While your buying water hose emergency kit gear go ahead and buy a “Water Bandit” so you can hook a hose to those weird spigots that have no threads.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
My 5th wheel is the same way, there is only a threaded female hose end to attach a fill hose to. Do yourself a favor and go to the hardware store or Amazon and order hose repair pieces. Order/buy a male, female, and a splice pieces, I like the brass ones that have a hose barb and you clamp on. This way if this happens again or one of your hoses ever cracks or breaks you aren’t SOL. While your buying water hose emergency kit gear go ahead and buy a “Water Bandit” so you can hook a hose to those weird spigots that have no threads.
Thank you so much for the suggestions, buying those on Amazon now. I hate being unprepared and stuck. Thank God the camping community is so nice and helpful and there is always someone willing to lend a hand.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

You're sure it was a potable water fill hose that had no end on it? Whenever I've seen a raw hose end it was at a dump station.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Good idea to have this kit in the trailer. Which is usual size of the hose 5/8 or 1/2?

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Repair...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/SOLID-Garden-...70_&dpSrc=srch
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
You're sure it was a potable water fill hose that had no end on it? Whenever I've seen a raw hose end it was at a dump station.
Well, it's too late now

Haha, yes it was the potable water hose. I am certain of it. Labeled and all.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

The easiest to use for hoses without a threaded male end is the Water Bandit. Hand squeeze is usually enough for a connection with minimal back pressure. Slip it on the missing end and hold. A hose clamp under the worst on conditions.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000EDOSKG
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #11

All class C Jayco Greyhawk or RedHawks don’t come with an external fresh water fill other than the city hose connector.

You can do two things to fill the fresh water tank.

1. Hook up to city water like normal through the connector on the side of the motor home and set the water fill valves correctly in your Bay Compartment where fill valves are located. Read the chart and set valves to fill tank and listen for water filling tank. You can also verify by watching the tank monitor inside the motor home.

2. To fill without a pressure fresh water source you can attach a short piece of hose to your outside water fill connector like before but this time place it inside a container filled with fresh water. Set your valves correctly in the bay compartment which will be different than before. Turn on the water pump and you will fill the water tank.

Wish I could remember valves sequence but my motor home is currently in storage. It’s not difficult if you follow the numbers.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #12

I aso have the redhawk and we camp primarily in state parks and other dry type parks. Many of these parks remind us of what my wife and I call the good ole days when things were so simple when camping. I have visited many parks where the hose at potable site is cut off I think probably due to damage or just plain leakage. The simplest fix is to always carry a spare hose so you simply substitute in place of cut one. We cannot always anticipate what we may need on a camping trip but after several decades on the road we do our best to be prepared. On very long road trips we try not to go out ill prepared especially when we are hundreds or thousands of miles from home. Hose repair kit will also fix problem but spare hose I think is better for this time and when you encounter a similar problem perhaps some place else.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote