Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
TWG

How to get to water filter - 2017 Melbourne

Model 2017 Melbourne

I cannot believe Jayco really did this...can anyone tell me how to get to the water filter housing. Can't even reach the cut off valves. This is the most ridiculous design, behind the permanent water control board (see bottom of filter housing in bottom left of photo)...I can't reach all the way up in there and even if I could, I'm not sure I would knowing I was just staying in black widow country.

Has anybody else tackled this problem?

Thank you.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco Melbourne 2017 water filter.jpg  
TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

Yep...my 2016 is identical to yours. It should only be “hand tight” but my rig came with a filter housing wrench to assist with loosening.
Its a really dumb configuration as there’s no way to bleed the water out of the filter so no matter how hard you try you’re going to spill some water when you take the housing off.
As for the critters, I’ve been lucky enough to not have any. Actually the worst past is getting your head under there far enough to see what you’re doing when you put the housing back on so you don’t cross-thread the housing.
As my grandpa would say “it’s dumber than dirt”.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Yep...my 2016 is identical to yours. It should only be “hand tight” but my rig came with a filter housing wrench to assist with loosening.
Its a really dumb configuration as there’s no way to bleed the water out of the filter so no matter how hard you try you’re going to spill some water when you take the housing off.
As for the critters, I’ve been lucky enough to not have any. Actually the worst past is getting your head under there far enough to see what you’re doing when you put the housing back on so you don’t cross-thread the housing.
As my grandpa would say “it’s dumber than dirt”.

Sorry...forgot to mention cut off valves...as long as you are not pushing water into the rig, you don’t need to worry about cutting off water...at least I do not. I just take off the housing, clean it out, replace filter and stand on my head to put it back on.
It’s a hoot!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
TWG

@Dnbgould Thank you, I was actually kind of hoping this was one of those times where I was just missing the simple solution, LOL. I just cannot believe this design and certainly hope they listen and stop doing it!

Would you have any thoughts on just shutting off valves so I can just use an external filter? Wouldn't that be sufficient?

Thank you!

J
Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

It would be sufficient...until this rig I’ve only ever used an “external, in-line” filter.
Its actually a great idea and I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. I would remove the existing filter, leave the valves as is, reinstall the housing, and be done with it.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
TWG

I think I'll remove it then and use an external one and be done!

Thank you for your input & guidance!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

I’m going to be doing the exact same thing! Thanks for pointing out the obvious...I was irritated by the stupidity of the design, I couldn’t see the solution.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
TWG

Now that I got it off (thank you), i wonder if you couldn't just leave it empty and leave the valves open....it's all one big trial and error...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Sure can...I’ve done that while cold weather camping. That’s what I meant when I said I was going to remove the filter , replace the canister and move on. Exactly that...

Tags
melbourne, water filter