Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #1

Jayco Redhawk 22J

Well, we have gone from considering a Jayco X23B to a Jayco Redhawk 22J. Has anyone purchased one and if so, what are your thoughts on this rv? Thanks.
Ashco4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #2

Floorplan very similar to 2017 model 23XM which is a 26 footer with back slide out extended. Except for a few shifts in the floorplan it's almost the same. We like our very much except for one flaw and that was the dinette to uncomfortable to sit for very long. I guess if you are under 30 years old it may not be a problem with sit at night with your back at 90 degrees for several hours. This was our primary issue with the redhawk 223xm. I have in the last 3month replaced the dinette with two recliners which make the seating much more comfortable. For the most of the time there are only two of us on the road and when we park or stop the unit is quite comfortable. Other than that we have had no serious problems. I think you will want to make sure it is quite comfortable for seating. The larger units have sofa which make them more suitable for sitting around. The dinette was a terrible option at least for us. Sometimes I wouild just go outside and sit in a lawn chair to be more relaxed before changing out he dinette.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

I'd concur about the dinnette seating. I helped fix it a lot w/ a simple mod. Put a pool noodle on the seat behind the rear cushion. If yours has those velcro straps to keep the cushions together the noodle will fit in the loops to keep it in place. Adds a nice recline to the back cushion w/ minimal kickout to the bottom of the back cushion; still plenty of space for your backside.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the info about the dinette. We are going to an rv show soon and hopefully, this model will be there. I will take another look at the dinette.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

We had a smaller trailer once upon a time and had the same issue but at that time we were young and did not think much about it. Then we went thru two 5th wheels that were large with both dinette and sofa and the last one even had in addition a huge recliner which my wife was spoiled by. Now with the kids grown and gone we decided to downsize and buy the 23xm redhawk. At first I thought it was really great with less effort to set up and no more having to back up a big 5th wheel. After taking it out a couple of times the dinette became a real issue. Eating with your back at 90 degrees is fine but just relaxing and or trying to watch TV for us was just plain miserable. So I modified it by replacing the dinette with two recliners and making a carpeted platform across the two storage bins. I had seen a modification on Youtube of a truck camper dinette done this way. Hopefully the dinette will not be an issue for you but I kind of like to be comfortable when I am inside the unit. I guess Jayco and others have no choice with the smaller units and less space so the dinette for eating and sitting is their only option. Larger units plus virtually all TT, 5th wheels have sofas and some recliners as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks, again for your advice. I am trying to picture replacing the dinette with two recliners. Was it crowded with the two new chairs there? Sounds very interesting.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

The recliners I put are the floor chair type. When I saw the one on Youtube I had wondered where they were purchased and of course I looked everywhere and could not find them. I came across this type of chair initially on Ebay and the listing indicated something on the order of 4-6 weeks for shipping. Then obvious it was of foreign origin. The floor recliner I purchased were obtained from the AliExpress.com website. The shipping took longer than 45 days but AliExpress give a guarantee that for whatever reason if the shipment does not arrive in 60 days they will give you your money back. Others have told me AliExpress operates something like Amazon. I had never purchased from them before but I now believe they are quite good. The chair is called a Japanese style recliner chaise. The swivel base of the chair is directly under the seat. They are absolutely ideal for the small dinette in the RV. I reinforced the area over top of the storage bins on each side making a solid platform underneath across the dinette area followed by carpet from Home Depot which is loosely attached. In this way should I need to open a storage bin I simply remove a recliner, pull back the rug and get what I need and then place chair and rug back. Works very well and looks nice. AliExpress.com which is part of the Alibaba company has a variety of floor chairs for sale. These chairs have nice wood armrest and its a synthetic leather. Unfortunately the shipping plus a single chair is about $250. It takes a while to receive because it has to go thru import, export clearance but the company ships all over the world. In my opinion this arrangement is so much better than the uncomfortable junk that Jayco puts in for a dinette. Eating is fine but sitting and lounging around is miserable at least for us. Check out the AliExpress site and you may find something you like better than your dinette. The chairs fit perfectly in the dinette on opposite sides leaving room for a small portable table from Amazon for eating or whatever and I remove when we're done giving us room to swivel around and watch TV, read or whatever just relaxing. Before sometimes to rest my back I would fold back the bed mattress and just sit there to try and relax because of the uncomfortable nature of the dinette. We enjoy traveling and sightseeing and when we get back to the RV its time to wind and relax and not be miserable trying to keep my back erect in the dinette.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #8

We took delivery of a '18 Redhawk 22J on 1/4/18. Have not been able to use it yet, but headed out for 3 weeks in Texas this weekend. We love the size. I've been driving it around the area and feel very comfortable with it. The dinette is a drawback but we're going to make it work. We have also been looking at putting chairs in the space. It appears to be a simple redo. Added a tv in the bedroom. My wife is putting her touch on the decor. We're ready to roll.
Stevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 AM   #9

Thanks again for all your input. It has been helpful.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #10

When you go to that RV show you'll find that all smaller motorhomes with dinette feel about the same. We have the 24K Melbourne with the same issue. Have heard of many people going with recliners, but we like our storage too much to sacrifice. We may try the pool noodle idea recommended above - we've used those handy, cheap, light little items for various other fixes. We use lots of pillows!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Thanks so much for your input.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

2019 jayco redhawk 22j

We just purchased one this nov. Havd front end aligned, it was way out of spec. Also checked battery fluid, all cells were very low. Tire pressure was down to 55psi should be 80psi on rear and 75 psi on front.. Do not trust dealer to pre inspect unit. Check everything before you leave dealership... We love the unit but dealer prep is a big zero.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

Hi, see our reply ABOVE
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

I'd love seeing a picture of your dinette redo and how you saved your storage area. Thanks!
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtraveler View Post
The recliners I put are the floor chair type. When I saw the one on Youtube I had wondered where they were purchased and of course I looked everywhere and could not find them. I came across this type of chair initially on Ebay and the listing indicated something on the order of 4-6 weeks for shipping. Then obvious it was of foreign origin. The floor recliner I purchased were obtained from the AliExpress.com website. The shipping took longer than 45 days but AliExpress give a guarantee that for whatever reason if the shipment does not arrive in 60 days they will give you your money back. Others have told me AliExpress operates something like Amazon. I had never purchased from them before but I now believe they are quite good. The chair is called a Japanese style recliner chaise. The swivel base of the chair is directly under the seat. They are absolutely ideal for the small dinette in the RV. I reinforced the area over top of the storage bins on each side making a solid platform underneath across the dinette area followed by carpet from Home Depot which is loosely attached. In this way should I need to open a storage bin I simply remove a recliner, pull back the rug and get what I need and then place chair and rug back. Works very well and looks nice. AliExpress.com which is part of the Alibaba company has a variety of floor chairs for sale. These chairs have nice wood armrest and its a synthetic leather. Unfortunately the shipping plus a single chair is about $250. It takes a while to receive because it has to go thru import, export clearance but the company ships all over the world. In my opinion this arrangement is so much better than the uncomfortable junk that Jayco puts in for a dinette. Eating is fine but sitting and lounging around is miserable at least for us. Check out the AliExpress site and you may find something you like better than your dinette. The chairs fit perfectly in the dinette on opposite sides leaving room for a small portable table from Amazon for eating or whatever and I remove when we're done giving us room to swivel around and watch TV, read or whatever just relaxing. Before sometimes to rest my back I would fold back the bed mattress and just sit there to try and relax because of the uncomfortable nature of the dinette. We enjoy traveling and sightseeing and when we get back to the RV its time to wind and relax and not be miserable trying to keep my back erect in the dinette.
I'd love to see a photo or two of your dinette redo and how you saved the storage space. Thanks!
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #16

I purchased the japanese floor recliners from Aliexpress to replace the dinette table in the Jayco. These are excellent and comfortable for long sitting, reading or watching TV. I am not sure what happened to the photo of the recliners showing the modification which I put up on the forum so will have to search my file on computer to locate. I had seen a modification to a truck camper which are the same type from the same vendor Aliexpress. The store under the Aliexpress site is Damedai Fascinating Store. Check that store out they have a lot of various configurations that can be used. The Jayco dinette is akin to a joke especially if it bothers your back to sit upright for long hours. I am so glad we replace the dinette with these recliners. Also check the youtube video for the truck modification of the dinette. It is very good.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

Here is the URL for site where I purchased the recliners:

aliexpress.com/item/Floor-Reclining-Swivel-Chair-360-Degree-Rotation-Japanese-Style-Living-Room-Furniture-Modern-Design-ArmChair-Chaise/32468789270.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.61d46a9bpq I2wZ

I made platform across the storage bunks with 1/2 inch finished plywood and added carpet. The platform is supported by the two storage bunks on either side but I also added bed supports underneath to provide a solid floor that does not move when two people are sitting and with the support braces underneath it can easily support at least 800 lbs of weight. Accessing the storage space is easy simply by raising the carpet and lifting the plywood over the storage bunk. The Jayco dinette like all dinette especially in units without a sofa is miserable for when try to relax. Now we simply sit in the recliner and sometimes fall asleep watching TV they are so comfortable. I had never purchased anything from Aliexpress but they are great doing business with. Takes a little long for the order to arrive but well worth the wait for these recliners. They are very well made and we are highly satisfied.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #18

Thanks for posting this as we were able to change the dinette to theater seats option new this year in the 22J. We also got the Modern Farmhouse and auto levelor
Capt Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #19

HI, WE LOVE OUR 2019 22J. MAY I ASK WHAT THE NEW 2021 22J MSRP IS IN NANAMO BC. SEEMS THE FURTHER YOU GO EAST LIKE New England US THEY ARE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #20

2021 Jayco Redhawk 22J

Canada MRSP is the same as USA in US funds. $105,900 I think. Ours was just under that in Canadian with all options. They are about 69,900 at some dealerships in the USA I seen online marked down 30-35 k from what they say. Especially this time of year.
Capt Fred is offline   Reply With Quote