Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #21

We're towing a 2018 Wrangler JL, absolutely no problems.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #22
MD3

Wrangler are super easy to tow, can't tell it's back there.
I've also used the Wrangler as a flat tow when dropping off my pickup truck for service. Just easy and simple to tow.

Only problem we've had with our Wrangler was due to the shop that did my gearing work.....

Had the Pinion nut fall off on the rear axle. Dropped the driveshaft while going down the freeway. This let the pinion gear slip downward and inside the differential. Bounced the pinion off the locker until I could get stopped.

A 130 mile tow truck ride, a week of finding parts and repairs, $1050 later we were back up and running again.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #23

Since Jeep was bought by Fiat quality has diminished significantly.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #24

Just a heads up, don’t EVER mess up and not put the transfer case in neutral and tow it for 600 miles. Please don't ask how I know this
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #25

I have towed my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) and my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport (JK) that my son drives and have had zero issues. Because we have multiple Jeeps, we went with the Brake Buddy so we can move it from vehicle to vehicle. I use the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar and bought the D-ring adapters and tow right from the d-rings on my off-road front bumpers. Tried to tow my wife's 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JLU) but it didn't work as the d-rings sat too close to the bumper to allow the bracket to fit.
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Toad
kickingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
What nonsense is this? Please explain in what way Fiat has changed the quality control of Jeep over its products?
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #27
RWK

I'd check the manual of any vehicle you're going to choose. I know 2 wheel drive jeeps cannot be flat towed.

I'm pretty sure all the 4X4 jeeps can be flat towed but there are several 4X4 systems employed by Jeep. My 2012 Unlimited Rubicon can. I'd just check before the purchase........

From the manual
RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.) CAUTION! Two-Wheel Drive Models Recreational towing is allowed ONLY if the rear driveshaft is removed. See your authorized dealer or refer to the Service Manual. Towing with the rear wheels on the ground while the driveshaft is connected can result in severe transmission damage.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #28

201822J: We have a 2018 Colorado that we flat tow with no problems. There is an entire section in the owner's manual for towing behind an RV. Just has to be four wheel drive. The only annoyance was that you have to disconnect the battery when towing. I understand that this is because it has electric power steering and it would be activated by the turning of the wheels and eventually cause problems.

At first, I just tried to remember to always have a 10mm wrench with me but then I installed a battery disconnect switch on the negative terminal. First I tried the one from Walmart where you turn a little wheel but it corroded so that it had an unreliable connection (we live 700 feet from the Chesapeake Bay) on both the Colorado and our Alante. Then I installed the blade type disconnect on both and swabbed them down with battery grease and have had no further problems.

For power to our Blue Ox Patriot 2 braking system, I have a cigarette lighter plug that clips on the battery posts which I run out the hood and into the cab through the driver's door.

I did have to get a four inch receiver drop/rise adapter (rise in our case) to make sure the hitch height and towbar connector was within the three inch Blue Ox specifications. Make sure to get a good one from a trailer supply store rather than the ones you get at Walmart or Harbor Freight since those are only rated at 4000 lbs and the one we got is rated at 6000 lbs. Costs a little more but well worth not having to worry about it breaking on a long uphill.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
When did that happen?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #30

Our toad is 2017 Focus. Have pulled it about 5k miles with no problems (yet). Just curious if you have any “lessons learned” to pass along. Thanks.
DSGreyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #31

Changed from 2016 Jeep Wrangler to 2019 Ford Ranger

Hi All,

No problem towing the jeep at all... First towed Fiat 500 - great little car to tow. They upgrade to the Wrangler - heavier for sure - installed patriot braking system. Worked great - no problems towed for 3 years...

Just traded the Jeep in on 2019 Ford Ranger - easier access for the wife, better ride, quite and better appointed. Prefer the Ranger to the Jeep - can off road with both. At least as much off road as I'd want. Ranger better to haul stuff. So far happy with the Ranger.
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #32

Towing a Wrangler

We tow a Jeep Sahara Wrangler behind our SENECA. Have never had a mechanical problem with the Jeep, I don't even know it's behind me it tows so well.
You do have to keep an eye on the Jeep battery charge as you must leave the ignition switch on for power to the Blue Ox braking mechanism,but if your battery is fully charged when you start out, you'll be good. Jeep stopped putting locking steering columns in the Wrangler in 2008 so if you have an auxiliary 12 volt power supply to the brake mechanism, the battery issue goes away.
South Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #33

Power Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Joe View Post
We tow a Jeep Sahara Wrangler behind our SENECA. Have never had a mechanical problem with the Jeep, I don't even know it's behind me it tows so well.
You do have to keep an eye on the Jeep battery charge as you must leave the ignition switch on for power to the Blue Ox braking mechanism,but if your battery is fully charged when you start out, you'll be good. Jeep stopped putting locking steering columns in the Wrangler in 2008 so if you have an auxiliary 12 volt power supply to the brake mechanism, the battery issue goes away.
Hi there - I ran a 12V line back from the Motorhome to power the braking system in the Jeep and in the ranger - I decided to run the power line to the battery - to keep it charged - this way I will not have to reset the brake system every time I stop to get gas... that was a pain... so now all should be good to go...
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #34

We’ve too have traveled over 4K without any problems and followed Ford’s instructions to the letter. Going through Arkansas the road was quite rough and believe that’s what caused the tranny to fail. We had no recourse since the Ford Engineers are adamant it was towed incorrectly. We know it was in the correct tow mode with no recourse; however, we’re out $6K to fix the car.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #35

Fishman417, I too lost a tranny in Arkansas. Years ago I was towing a big U-Haul trailer on I-40 with my Suburban. I noted the outside temperature was 98 and was glad I was in where it was cool. Then I smelled a horrible smell and noticed the Suburban was slowing down even as the RPMs were going up. Yep, burned the tranny out. Spent a day in Stuttgart waiting on a replacement to be shipped from Memphis. I have always been religious about using tow/haul mode since then.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #36

I towed my Wrangler from NC to Alaska and back last summer

The first day when I got to Clarksville TN the battery was dead. I had not unhooked it that morning when I left. The next 2 1/2 months was no problem.

But I do need to ask this. My front tires were in bad shape. They were out of round bad. Do you think the Jeep was out of alignment? I towed behind s jayco precept

Thanks
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote