Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #1

Keyless Entry & Power Step Simul-problem

2015 Melbourne
Kwikee Power Step
Trimark keyless entry lock

Both are not working in a weird way and problems started at the same time. The power step came out and stayed stuck then randomly started working sometimes staying up with multiple door shutting and then comes out and stays stuck out with opening and shutting of door. Also, it doesn't always extend or retract to fruition and I have to do some manual pushing and pulling.

The keyless entry beeps and the code seems to work but the deadbolt isn't pushing out or in using the keyless pad. It lights up so power is there.

Things I've checked.

-Plungers and contacts inside door seem to be working properly and are not corroded. Pulled them out and the wires are connected just fine.
-Chassis battery is fully charged.
-Coach battery is fully charged and RV is plugged in.
-Fuse on the relay by the house battery: I didn't check it because last time that fuse blew there was no power to anything on the door or leveling jacks. Since there is power, I figure this isn't the problem.
brisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #2

I believe the TriMark is what came on my 2013 Eagle Premier 351RLTS. Your problem is most likely with the actuator. The actuator is the solenoid that actually moves the dead bolt in and out. The actuator on ours failed multiple times. When it fails in the locked position, it is dangerous.

I worked with Jayco and Challenger Door to replace the crappy TriMark keyless entry with the self-contained Bauer keyless entry. The Bauer unit incorporates the keypad and the entire mechanism in the door handle assembly. It is powered by double A batteries. A set of lithium batteries always lasts a season for us. I've had the Bauer unit on my camper for about three years now, and it has performed flawlessly.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Not sure what you have but when's the last time you lubricated your steps? My Bauer locks battery gets low and it will still sound when punching in the code and like up but won't push the deadbolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

On the door lock, do your self a favor and replace it with a Bauer keyless entry.
That's what I did on my 2014 Seneca.
The Tri-Mark is worthless.
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I did lubricate the step and it seemed to work a little better after that. I suspect an issue is related to low power getting to both the keypad and step mechanism.

Is the bauer one an easy install? Plug and play? What model should I look for that fits the Jayco Melbourne?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

The Bauer NE is the one your are looking for. It just installs in place of your existing door handle. There are measurements listed on the page so you can tell if it will fit the opening in your door.

Bauer NE | Bauer Products
Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #7

The Bauer NE is for trailers and is not certified for motorized RVs. You need the Bauer EM or the EM AlSentis. The AlSentis is the newer "touch" technology and reportedly has better battery life.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #8

Hate to admit this but, my camper has keyless entry and I never use it. Too temperamental.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The Bauer NE is for trailers and is not certified for motorized RVs. You need the Bauer EM or the EM AlSentis. The AlSentis is the newer "touch" technology and reportedly has better battery life.

Is the camper being discussed a motor home? If so, I was not aware.

When the OP mentioned the TriMark system, I just assumed it was a trailer. I never imagined they'd put such junk on a nice motor home.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Not sure what you have but when's the last time you lubricated your steps? My Bauer locks battery gets low and it will still sound when punching in the code and like up but won't push the deadbolt.

How often do you replace the batteries? I found this to be ridiculous, as to how quick the batteries ran down.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #11

I just go with when it starts acting up which is about twice a year.

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
How often do you replace the batteries? I found this to be ridiculous, as to how quick the batteries ran down.
The AlSentis version seems to greatly improve the battery life, less likely to be "turned on" instead of sleeping during rain or when washing. I use lithium AA batteries and they were installed in March and still are good.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Is the camper being discussed a motor home? If so, I was not aware.

When the OP mentioned the TriMark system, I just assumed it was a trailer. I never imagined they'd put such junk on a nice motor home.
Yes, a Melbourne is Jayco's small Class C. And they did indeed put the Trimarks on motor homes, my Seneca originally had the version with a separate, 12-volt powered latch and Dexter keypad outside on the door. After replacing the non-working keypad 4 times, with the last one even catching on fire, Jayco replaced my entire door and equipped it with a Bauer EM which has the keypad integrated into the latch. Late last year my EM stopped unlatching even with new batteries, I emailed Bauer and they shipped me a free EM AlSentis latch. They even matched my old key code since I had purchased extra spare keys.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Yes, a Melbourne is Jayco's small Class C. And they did indeed put the Trimarks on motor homes, my Seneca originally had the version with a separate, 12-volt powered latch and Dexter keypad outside on the door. After replacing the non-working keypad 4 times, with the last one even catching on fire, Jayco replaced my entire door and equipped it with a Bauer EM which has the keypad integrated into the latch. Late last year my EM stopped unlatching even with new batteries, I emailed Bauer and they shipped me a free EM AlSentis latch. They even matched my old key code since I had purchased extra spare keys.

My experience is similar, except that I didn't get a lot of help from Jayco. Working with Challenger Door directly, they sent me the Bauer NE after a couple of failed actuators on the TriMark POS. The first Bauer NE they sent me had an issue, and Challenger Door connected me directly with a representative from Bauer. She sent me a replacement NE, and I've had no problems since.

The recommendation for the lithium batteries came from the Bauer representative. I put a new set of lithium batteries in mine every spring, and it makes the season.

ETA: The people at both Challenger Door and Bauer were great to to work with.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

Switching to Lithiums too extended battery life on mine to 9 months, give or take
Old 10-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #16

The Melbourne is a motorhome and it definitely has the trimark keyless in it. I do use it a lot. It is a nice feature to have, but is so unreliable I always keep a key hidden somewhere.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #17

Step update

I was messing around with the step today and when it is stuck sometimes if I jiggle the plugin to the motor, it activates and gets going. However, it doesn't really complete the process.

It is only 2.5 years old, so hopefully that is not the lifespan of a motor in a kwikee step. Could it be the motor or gears going bad?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisath View Post
I was messing around with the step today and when it is stuck sometimes if I jiggle the plugin to the motor, it activates and gets going. However, it doesn't really complete the process.

It is only 2.5 years old, so hopefully that is not the lifespan of a motor in a kwikee step. Could it be the motor or gears going bad?
If you can jiggle the plug and make it work, go for tightening the wire connections at the plug. That could be anything from a loose connection to using some dielectric grease to make it a better connection. Sounds to me you have now isolated the problem, so now work on fixing with a simple solution.
Maybe remove the plugs and hardwire?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #19

Updates

The step (and keyless entry) issue still isn't fixed but I did some narrowing down:

-pulled the motor off and it spins correctly when opening and closing the door. However, when put back into place it just works sporadically, usually initiated by some jostling of the step. It doesn't push the step to fruition, either way. You have to push it in or pull it out manually to get it to complete.
-put electric gel on the connection and that doesn't seem to be the issue because it doesn't initiate with any pushing of the cable like it did before.
-With the motor disconnected, the steps seem to swing in and out fine without much resistance.
-the step light (under the motorhome) turns on and off appropriately with opening and shutting the door.
-checked for any loose wires and those all seem to be good.

It really is sporadic, as sometimes I'll open and close the door several times and then the motor randomly engages and I have to help it along.

Should I try a motor replacement or a step control replacement next? Could the step control cause both a keyless entry and step problem at the same time?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 AM   #20

Direct Fit?

Is the Bauer EM version a direct replacement on the 2014 Jayco 37FS Trimark system? Will I have to cut the door?

Looks like mine is failing as well...again.

Many thanks!
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote