Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

Unhappy LCI Leveler Pump bracket broke at 65 mph, destroyed pump

2018 Jayco Greyhawk on Tuesday 8/20/19 I was headed to Camping World in Fountain, Colorado to get the backup camera fixed. A bad cable in the left mirror, and the controller under the dash had blown. About 20 miles from Fountain I heard a noise, which sounded like plates rattling in the cabinet. I pulled over and checked the plates. It wasn't them. I went outside and checked the tires. No flats. Looked under the RV and there was the hydraulic pump for the LCI leveler system on the ground. The electrical cables and hoses were still attached. Most of the steel bracket was attached to the pump on the ground. The oil reservoir was torn open. The 90 degree weld at the chassis frame of the Greyhawk had broken. There was no triangular piece on the 90 degree weld to reinforce the bracket. So you have a 50 lb hydraulic pump bouncing up and down until the weld breaks.

I had some cable TV coax cable with me and some orange leveler blocks. I crawled under the RV, lifted the 50 lb assembly onto the blocks and then used two pieces of cable to tie it to the frame in two different places. It took me a few tries to get a knot that wasn't a slip knot. It still hung down a bit. I then successfully drove it to Camping World.

Luckily it broke on the way to Camping World. It would have been 3 weeks before they could get me in to even look at it. Then it is going to be 3-4 weeks until they can actually get it fixed.

It turns out that there is a Technical Service Bulletin on the 2018 Greyhawk on this, so it's not going to cost me anything. There is a recall on the 2016, 2017 Greyhawks. The TSB won't come up if they look for recalls, so have them look under Technical Service Bulletins.

The TSB is probably #19-022, which I saw on a thread in this forum.

Diesel, at Camping World said that they have had three 2018 Greyhawks come in with the exact same problem.

So if yours hasn't failed yet, you better check it. The LCI Leveler Pump is just in front of the rear tire on the drivers side. It's on the drive shaft side of the frame. I would tie it with heavy rope or cable. There is a brace that goes from left to right, that is above the chassis frame that you can tie it to. I don't think zip ties would be strong enough. Be careful because the 12 volt power lead is exposed. It's on the chassis frame side of the pump, away from the drive shaft side. Then call your nearest Jayco Dealer and get on the waiting list to get problem fixed. I guess a faster option would be to have someone weld a reinforcement onto the bracket, but by now the 90 degree weld has been pretty well stressed and is ready to fail.

There may be the same problem with the Redhawks too.
Dartanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

I think the Redhawks are prepped for leveling, but it doesn't come stock. There may be some that have it. Sorry for what happened to you. I'm trying to keep that from happening to me. That's a very bad day for sure.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanian View Post
.... Most of the steel bracket was attached to the pump on the ground. The oil reservoir was torn open. The 90 degree weld at the chassis frame of the Greyhawk had broken. There was no triangular piece on the 90 degree weld to reinforce the bracket. .....
Definitely a design issue.
Would you be able to share a picture of the broken bracket?
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #4

Same issue, more posts, pics
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ump-70118.html
Old 08-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Would you be able to share a picture of the broken bracket?
Sorry, I didn't take a picture. It is a 90 degree bracket welded to the frame.
Dartanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

Design Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
You are probably correct, but the bracing could have been in the design but were left out by some line person who didn't read the drawings, or didn't think the gussets were really needed. I have seen that in the past.
Best of luck.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #7

I took these pictures yesterday so I could plan what I was going to do for a repair. I intend on putting gussets on both sides of their extremely poor design. After looking it over I can see why they are breaking. All that weight at the end of a thin shelf just flexing at the small welded joint.

I am also going to add an additional brace that runs down the heavy brace and wrapping around the joint so it can box in the lower shelf. This sucker will never fall off if I have my way.
Attached Thumbnails
20190831_184548.jpg   20190831_184542.jpg   20190831_184759.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Jayco sent me a recall letter on our 2017 Redhawk 26XD. I took it in to the dealer for inspection, not broken yet but it goes back in next week for the repair. Jayco sends them a repair kit. I was told they are welding gussets on both corners of existing bracket to reinforce it. In the mean time I wrapped a ratchet strap around the pump assembly & frame to help support it until it’s fixed so I can still use it.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #9

I rigged up this temporary support till my dealer gets the bracket in. Maybe it might help someone else. Parts are a 5 foot galvanized pipe with 2 floor flanges at each end. The pipe spans 2 cross members. Stainless steel safety wire, .041 thickness(tensile strength 241 pounds per strand). Then I wrapped bungies around both ends so it doesn't hop on bumps. The existing butt weld looks good but I had to do something considering what others are going through.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0243[1][1].JPG  
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

Ours broke this weekend on our Greyhawk 30x while going down the highway. We bought it pre-owned and apparently the previous owner took it in for the recall but it was bandaged up instead of being done correctly. We believe only the plastic tank needs to be replaced and need to find the part number. Very poor design.
Nancy819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #11

Mine broke about 2 years ago. Luckily I was able to catch it before it actually hit the ground and strap it up and go to a repair shop to have it re-welded. Jayco covered the costs 100%. Its been about 1 1/2 later and no issues since and I have been down some very bumpy roads since the fix.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #12

Jayco recall/Stealership Alleged Repair

I would like to give a shout out to CampersWorld of Spartanburg, SC for the piss-poor “Jayco recall” repair they allegedly performed on my 2017 31FS Greyhawk…they supposedly made the repair for the former owner at the time of our purchase from her. NEVER HAPPENED!!!
As you see in the photo, the bracket now has 2 flat stock steel gussets, one on either side (red arrow) & and the original “corner weld” , where it failed (blue arrow), re-welded after it broke off and was hanging loose heading north on 81…
Dealership ASSHATS strike again
On the other hand if you find yourself in trouble in VA, on Interstate 81, off exit 205, give Cash’s Parts & Repair a call!
540-377-2666
Late Friday afternoon, excellent repair to get us on our way!
#jayco #CampingWorld
Attached Thumbnails
EC095C01-FC27-4FFD-AFC2-568096A14BE1.jpg  
Chorndawg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:02 AM   #13

Mine broke last weekend. Had a welder fix it the next day.
Take it to a welder. He will fix it asap.
Msbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #14

There is a active recall on this bracket Contact Jayco
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump bracket fails, recall, tsb, tsb #19-022