Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Levellers or slide outs first?

Total newbie here. I purchased my greyhawk 29me two weeks ago. The owners guide says extend slide outs first, then put down the levellers. The very next paragraph contradicts that and says put down levellers first, then extend slide outs.
Can anyone help me out and clear this up?
Hapax Legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Precept info is clear as mud on that point as well.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapax Legomenon View Post
Total newbie here. I purchased my greyhawk 29me two weeks ago ....
I don't have a Greyhawk but I have found that if you level your rig and then put out the slides, you will be slightly out of level. So, what I do with my FW is unhook from truck, auto-level, run out the slides, and then auto-level again.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

This is one of those questions that can go either way. There is no right or wrong do what you feel comfy with.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

We have a 2015/2016 Seneca 37FS and over the years have had to do it both ways because of binding. Best for us has been to raise on to levelers after slide outs are out and drop back on to suspension before bringing slides in. This seems to be the way that there is less torque on the frame and the unit is sitting on normal suspension.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

My first five steps are always the same:

1. Unhitch camper and level.
2. Unload generator
3. Set up generator and start generator
4. Turn on A/C
5. Extend slides

I try to never extend/retract my slides on just the battery. The slide motors struggle enough as it is, and I don't want to risk burning up a motor with low voltage.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

All very good points here. I have only had my 2017 31fs a couple months, but I've been doing auto-level then slides. I didn't consider that the rig could go off level from putting out the slides. I like the idea to run the genny to give the 12 volt more boost.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

I level first because my slide covers my tires, making it difficult to put blocks under if slide is out. However, I know the slides do take it off level a bit. So my initial level set is purposely off just a bit. Putting the slides out dials it right in.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
snip...
I try to never extend/retract my slides on just the battery. The slide motors struggle enough as it is, and I don't want to risk burning up a motor with low voltage.
Same here. When boondocking, I keep the 12v power plugged into my tow vehicle and engine running when running out the slide or running the front jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko06 View Post
I level first because my slide covers my tires, making it difficult to put blocks under if slide is out. However, I know the slides do take it off level a bit. So my initial level set is purposely off just a bit. Putting the slides out dials it right in.
Same here. Initially the slide side is a tad (1 tad = 1 bit) high. With the slide out, it's all good.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
We have a 2015/2016 Seneca 37FS and over the years have had to do it both ways because of binding. Best for us has been to raise on to levelers after slide outs are out and drop back on to suspension before bringing slides in. This seems to be the way that there is less torque on the frame and the unit is sitting on normal suspension.
There's a sticker on the 2017 slide controls that instructs the owner to level, extend slides, re-level if necessary.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:13 AM   #11

Good day, I level the rig first then put out the slides. This avoids any frame twists that could potentially cause the slides to jam when they are retracted. It has been my experience that once the rig is level, putting the slide outs does not cause the rig to go out of level. I have had three rigs now, and have never had to re-level after the slides are extended. The opposite applies for retracting the slides then the levellers.Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
Site Team

I always level, then extend 3 slides. on leaving, retract slides first.

Works for us.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #13

Always level then extend slides. If the coach is out of level, it can cause binding of the slide system.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #14

The dealer tech told us to do both... first level the unit, then put out the slides, then re-level.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #15

This is a very useful topic, as a newbie, I too have been thinking about the slides and their effects on a leveled rig.

But the more I thought about this, and after contemplating the pro's and con's of leveling before/after or some combination of slides in and out, I came to the conclusion that the most important item to be level is the rig itself, not the slides. In my case, 2017 Greyhawk FS, neither of the slides have a functional device that requires level. My fridge, the bath, the kitchen sink, all underside piping and holding tanks are on the rig; all of which require level for proper operation. Only the bunks, couch, stove/oven and ward are on slides - none of these items need to be level to function.

It makes sense to me, but I am new at this, does it make sense to others?
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
This is a very useful topic, as a newbie, I too have been thinking about the slides and their effects on a leveled rig.
It makes sense to me, but I am new at this, does it make sense to others?
If the rig is not level the slides can bind going out. In my case, once the slides go out, I can't change the side to side level and the front to back is already adjusted. You just have to work out a system that works and stick with it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
My first five steps are always the same:

1. Unhitch camper and level.
2. Unload generator
3. Set up generator and start generator
4. Turn on A/C
5. Extend slides

That's great if you've always got power available. If we're camping with full hookup, I'm fine with turning the 50A power on first. What if you're parking your rig at the storage facility? Your only option is to use battery power. I'd like to think LCI planned ahead for that.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #18

My user manual provides instruction for leveling and slides, it clearly says to level rig, then extend slides. But it also says to retract levelers before pulling in slides, which seems strange to me ... Since you could be substantially tilted enough after unlevelling that the slides bind on retraction.

Also note that the instruction says that the rig's transmission should be in NEUTRAL prior to leveling. I suppose this is to protect the transmission from wheel slippage during leveling. I experimented with this, of course the ignition key is not coming out until you put the transmission in park, but the leveling system worked while in neutral. I then placed the transmission back in park and removed the key.

Finally, there is suggestion that tires should never leave the ground... Every time I have auto-leveled, at least one tire has been off the ground in my driveway, which does not have an excessive slope. There appears to be no safety in the firmware that prevents this from happening; thus leaving the owner to manually adjust the levelers to keep the wheels on the ground. Anyone else notice this?

Attached is the page from my user manual, 2017 Greyhawk.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 Jayco Greyhawk OM Black and White p45.pdf (166.8 KB, 4 views)
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #19

I also questioned this, even asked the tech on the delivery he said level first then slides. After we completed the delivery they provided me a document from Jayco on the delivery to verify that I understood the various items. One question was "Do you understand that the unit needs to be level prior to extending slides?", the very next statement said "always extent slides and then level", I did not initial that line and wrote a note it contradicted the previous statement. . Wish I had taken a photo of that one. They can not even get it right on their documents no wonder it is so confusing.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Site Team

It makes no sense! The procedure should be the same whether in a MH, tt or fifth wheel. And when leaving it should be reverse.

I'd hate to have to follow their writeup for climbing a ladder!
Gator roll-up bed cover