Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #1

Lippert Leveling System Ground Cable Sheared Off

My 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS was in a minor accident and this ground cable (circled in blue) was sheared off. I cannot figure out where the other end of the cable is. If anybody has the same system and could check their cable and let me know that would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Pic.jpg  
rklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #2

Sheared off from the frame or the motor? Sorry - can't tell from the pic.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

It's sheared off from the frame. The picture above shows it connected to the ground on the motor, and then this is the other end of that cable. Sorry, not sure why my image turned sideways, it should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. I've spent over an hour under the rig with a flashlight and I can't see where this thing connected. I can't see anything on the frame that looks like it was ripped off and there's no other cable hanging down anywhere else. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4811.jpg  
Old 07-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #4

One end goes to the ground on the motor and the other ground on the frame. I had the same exact thing to happen. Mine came loose on the frame end and ended up looking exactly like yours. Since I was on the road I had a Camping World Center replace it under warranty since my unit was new. Really surprised me that CW did this in a speedy manner.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:35 PM   #5

Good to know it’s happened to someone else as well. I have no idea where it came loose but I guess it doesn’t really matter. I’ll find a good spot and get it reconnected in the morning and hopefully it starts working again. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #6

It might be hard to see under there, but mine was a bolt tapped into the frame rail. I guess with one end of the cable, you'd know the "radius of the search area"

I don't think it matters too much. And, of course, right after you drill the new grounding hole, you'll finally spot the old one.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #7

Well, no luck. Ground cable reconnected to the frame and still not working. I checked every fuse I could find on the RV. Under the hood, under the dash, and inside the RV. I disconnected the battery and the house batteries and reconnected them and I'm still getting no power to the control panel. Any other ideas appreciated.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:46 AM   #8

I'm thinking when the cable sheared, it also pulled, so it may not be making a connection at the motor. If it is connected at the motor on a threaded stud, the stud may be loose inside the motor.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #9

Here’s a picture of the current situation that is not working. This shows both ends, the end with the new connector is the end that was sheared off that i couldn’t figure out where it goes, but if it just connected to the frame then it shouldn’t matter.
Attached Thumbnails
E4F7BF60-A9EF-42DC-8DD6-BBE4F0802C50.jpg  
Old 07-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #10

I'll just toss out - when my Lippert jacks were going nutz, and I was out of ideas, I emailed Lippert Tech Support. And...

...they were fantastic! We exchanged photos over emails. They were patient and carefully marked up my photos with "Not that bolt, the bolt over here!" notes.

I wasn't in a super rush, so the speed of email was fine for me.

I'm super impressed with how much they helped!
Old 07-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

Great suggestion. I am in a rush as I’m heading out this weekend so I called them, emailed them some photos, and then they did a video call with me and told me exactly what to do. All fixed up and ready to go! I’m super impressed with Lippert tech support! Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #12

Glad you got it fixed but what exactly was the problem and what was the solution that cured it ?
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:07 PM   #13

So the ground cable had come disconnected from the negative terminal on the selanoid and then got drug on the road for a few hours. The ground was still connected to the motor bracket (which was the grounding source). After having lippert show me where to connect it on the selenoid it started working again.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklund View Post
So the ground cable had come disconnected from the negative terminal on the selanoid and then got drug on the road for a few hours. The ground was still connected to the motor bracket (which was the grounding source). After having lippert show me where to connect it on the selenoid it started working again.
Kind of what my first post to this thread suggested.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote