Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Looking for advice

Hello I am looking at buying a 2013 greyhawk 31fk. If anyone has any advice or options on this model I would be glad to hear them. This will be a big purchase for my family and I would love to know if I should anticipate problems or is this a good model/year.
Tojaycoornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojaycoornot View Post
Hello I am looking at buying a 2013 greyhawk 31fk. If anyone has any advice or options on this model I would be glad to hear them. This will be a big purchase for my family and I would love to know if I should anticipate problems or is this a good model/year.

We have a 2016 31FK. I can shed some light on the floorplan, but probably cannot help you too much with the variations in years.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. I know very little about MHs. But the camper is a camper. A truck chassis is still a truck.

Is the purchase through a private owner or a dealer. If it is a private owner, inquiring the have the maintenance records and review them.

On board generator. Check the hour meter, and run it. If it has really low hours that may mean it will need tje carb rebuilt. They need to run at least 1 hour each month at half load or better. So inquire about how they use it.

Water leaks are the death of any camper. Check the roof for maintenance. Lots of dabs of caulking over the joints is a good thing. Better yet wow be to see eternabond over the caulk joints.

If the side walls show wavyness or bubbles. That is a sign of delamination due to water leaks. This will greatly decrease the value, and is extremely difficult to impossible to repair.

Test every system. Run the generator to run the ac. If possible connect to city water, and tun the water heater. Put some water in the fresh water tank, and turn on the pump, run a little water. Turn off the faucets. Leave the pump on and listen for the pump to cycle. If it cycles it means there is a leak.

Drive it. How old are the tires, 10 years old and they are shot. 7-8 years old, they may still be dry rotted.

Make sure to look for signs of water everywhere. Water kills all campers.

Hope you like it and decide it is right for you.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojaycoornot View Post

Welcome to the JaycoOwnersForums (JOF). Mine is a few years older but very similar. Fortunately almost all of the known issues with the engines and transmissions are for the most part non-existent with the 2002+ V10's and 5 speed transmissions as Ford has used the engines for many years prior because they are very reliable, however I wasn't happy with how quick the transmission downshifted on even a slightest grade and I ended up purchasing a "5 star" tuner primarily for the better shift control but it also adds about ~40 hp (not sure). Feel free to ask any questions you have in the Class C forum or message me if you like and I can give you more details. All in all, I haven't had any issues with mine regarding the Ford Chassis, yours likely will be problem free as well.

I would inspect it for leaks very carefully, get on the roof and check for issues with the dicor sealant around the openings through the roof. Also, if the one you are looking at hasn't already started peeling on the interior pleather fabric, it likely will in the near future. Peeling pleather seems to be an issue in common with a lot of the Class C's (not just Jayco's and not only Class C's) around the time frame of yours and mine, and the years before and after ours as well. I have replaced my front seats already, some people cover them or reupholster them, or just not let the peeling bother them. Short of that, can't think of any issues, certainly none major, always a lot of little things to keep up with.

Feel free to share more details and pictures if you like of what you are purchasing, or did you already purchase it?

Happy Travels, ~CA
Old 06-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice

I really appreciate all the advice. I have not purchased the camper yet hopefully this week. It is from a dealership. I’ll post pictures when/if we go through with the purchase.
Tojaycoornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
RPR

Also crawl underneath it from front to back. Condition of water,LP,brake and gas lines. Lot of wiring running on bottom side. If you have a buddy that has a RV ask them to go with you to do a once over. These things demand regular maintenance and repair. We have enjoyed our 2018 Class C 31DS. Put almost 20,000 miles on it. We repair something when it breaks and keep on going.
RPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #7

I think the most important issue, if anything looks like it had even a little bit of water damage, I would walk away.

It’s always worse than it looks and it doesn’t get better over time. If the dealer says they fixed the problem, don’t believe them.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #8

I have a 2013 Greyhawk 31FS and have not had any major issues. Replaced step controller was the biggest issue. The door lock solenoid came loose and had to get in and fix. Some of the decals were peeling repaired under warranty. Otherwise I'm very happy with my rig. I bought it new in 2013. I'm not a full timer, so low mileage on mine.
Just added a few mods like most here.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Just bought the same model and year about 2 months ago. We've been camping about 12 nights since we got it. So far only one minor issue: It kept blowing a fuse that powered the leveling system control and the radio (camera). Wasn't a show stopper, just had to level the old fashioned way for one trip. Tracked it down to a bad house battery. It's been good since then. We like it. What everyone else says about the upholstery is accurate. Seems like 2010 through 2019 or so have the issue. We'll probably have the seats recovered at some point, but not really a priority for now. Good luck if you get it!
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote