Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 08:49 AM   #1

Melbourne 24L Backup camera

I have a 2017 Melbourne 24L & the backup camera stopped working with a black screen. The camera feeds into a Pioneer display. I do have some schematics from Jayco but so far they are not much help. I have a RVS-917 camera. I checked the wiring on the backup of the camera & that seems fine. My next move is to try to remove the Pioneer display & check the wiring on that end. If anyone has any experience with this issue & has some tips I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
abutchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:28 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had your issue but it is fairly easy to remove the radio to check the wires. Just remove the thin trim around the head unit to expose 4 screws. My wires were a mess so I wouldn't be surprised if a wire came loose. You may have the same set up as 2016 Melbourne. Does your head unit have a camera always on setting? Does your camera go black in both settings or just in reverse?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. You're correct, it was easy to remove the Pioneer display. I checked the connections & everything looks secure. I also disconnected the camera from the rear of the RV & from what I can tell, that looks good as well. The company that sells the camera, Rear View Safety, offers a buy & try 30 day guarantee. I'll find out if there any strings attached to that guarantee but it may be best to try a new camera.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:23 AM   #4

Is the camera getting 12v? Not sure where to check on your camera but it could be a bad connection where Jayco tapped in to a constant 12v supply and or the reverse trigger wire.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:31 AM   #5

Yes its 12v. I'm trying to put the puzzle pieces together with the Jayco schematics which are not specific to my camera model, with the wiring diagram in the Pioneer manual with the wiring I can actually see on the back of the Pioneer.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #6

I replaced mine a few months ago. Here's a link to my post:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-new-post.html
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #7

Thanks very much for your help
Old 06-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #8

You're welcome. Went thru the whole Pioneer removal thing myself, and certainly was a learning experience...
Old 06-05-2023, 10:53 AM   #9

One other thing - in addition to that 5 pin connector on the camera end, there's also a very miniature 3 pin connector after it. I used this one instead of the 5 pin to replace the camera portion of the camera/brake light assy as I would of had to do a lot more tugging to get the big 5 pin connector out, and I didn't want to risk any damage to that wiring in the RV. Get a good quality silicone to seal the top - I used some JB weld stuff for this and tail light replacement. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:07 AM   #10

Heading out for a short trip up north so I'll order the replacement camera from RVS when I get back. They have a 30 day try & buy so in the off chance the camera replacement doesn't do the trick I have a return option. Hopefully when I start the job you won't see a call for HELP!! in the forum