Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Michelin Tire Performance

I had 28000 mi on the original Michelin LTX 225 75 R16 M/S 2 tires on my 31DS. I only rotate the front tires. The tread wear on all 4 drive tires was down to 4/32 and needed to be replaced. The steer tires were 8/32. I thought I would get better than 28000 on a 70000 mile warranty tire. I was hesitant to purchase Michelin again, but Michelin gave me $486.96 mileage credit on the rears, and I purchased 6 Michelin Defender LTX MS tires. Michelin did lower the mileage warranty down to 50000 on the Defenders. I was thinking with nearly 9000lbs sitting on the rears, that 28000 miles was about all that can be expected. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Michelins?
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #2

I have 44,000 miles or so and have over 50% tread left.

I rotate all 6 tires with every oil change (5-6k miles). Fronts to rear inner, inner rear to outer rear, outer rears to front.

I've found a bunch of the coaches are coming with positive camber up front which will make the outside of the tire feather and wear faster.

For the rears, I'm not sure why you are wearing faster. It looks like you have a flat tow, so there shouldn't be extra load on the rear tires. The tires are going to wear faster if you have close to max load on them all the time. The tire manufacturer woulnd't rate the tire wear at worst case. I flat tow my wrangler, so similar in weight. Load on the rear tires is 95% of the time the issue with wear.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
I have 44,000 miles or so and have over 50% tread left.

I rotate all 6 tires with every oil change (5-6k miles). Fronts to rear inner, inner rear to outer rear, outer rears to front.

I've found a bunch of the coaches are coming with positive camber up front which will make the outside of the tire feather and wear faster.

For the rears, I'm not sure why you are wearing faster. It looks like you have a flat tow, so there shouldn't be extra load on the rear tires. The tires are going to wear faster if you have close to max load on them all the time. The tire manufacturer woulnd't rate the tire wear at worst case. I flat tow my wrangler, so similar in weight. Load on the rear tires is 95% of the time the issue with wear.

Thanks for your info. I do run between 90 - 95 % capicity on the rear axle. I guess that accounts for the quick wear. Even if I would have rotated all 6 tires, taking the average wear, they would all of been down to about 6/32.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

Just in case you didn't know but Jayco doesn't use Michelin tires on it's class c anymore. All late model 2018 built around six months ago have started coming with Hankook tires. Maybe Jayco and Ford are tired of Michelin problems?

My 29MVP has Hankook. I'll keep you posted on performance.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

It has to be a Ford thing. Hankook must have made a great offer to Ford. They make some good tires, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I noticed this on the Forest River I looked at locally and it had the Hankook tires as well.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Its definitely a Ford thing. Ford offers Michelin as a up-charge on cutaway chassis orders. I saw it on one of the Fleet spec sheets awhile back. Chevy cutaways are using General Grabbers.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

We got a few miles over 30,000 on our original set of Michelin LTX MS after 7 years of use. They had plenty of tread left when we replaced them. I didn't measure tread depth, but if we used the motorhome more, we easy could have gotten 20,000 miles more out of the tires.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

I have a fifth wheel.

On the previous set of Michelin LTX 265/75 R16 E I got about 28000 miles and a nice mileage adjustment. I had rotated the tires regularly, and the tread on all four tires was worn in the same manner - on the edges (both inside and outside) more than in the center. I keep my tires properly inflated at all times - cold tire pressure at 80PSI in the rear and 65PSI in the front. The outside edges on all the tires had lost the siping, and tread depth was down to about 4/32 in all major grooves.

I replaced the worn out Michelin LTX's with the newer LTX Defenders. I now have about 14,000 miles on the Michelin Defender LTX's and they are wearing much, much better than the previous tires. The edges of the tires are not wearing faster than the inside tread. By the way, the receipt for the my Defenders says there is a 70,000 mile mileage warranty.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Does anyone make a “G” rated tire that will fit? Would give a little more margin of error especially for the rears.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote