Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Mountain driving 2016 Redhawk

So in a week I will start my voyage from Indiana to California. I plan on going down to 40 and heading straight out. I am however new to the motorhome and even when I had my truck and 5er I never went over mountains, always stayed pretty local. So I have been reading some things about mountain driving but have questions more geared to those of you with the new 6 speed. If anyone has been through the mountains, what gear are you using to keep you slowed down? With my trip coming up soon, I'm sure I will be asking a lot more questions. Thanks, I have already learned a ton on here.
86gt5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 AM   #2

I'm sorry but I can comment on your question but I want to wish you a happy and safe trip.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

For what its worth i have a 2014 with the 5 speed the tow haul button automaticly does engine braking on mine i never had to down shift. Also when going up hill the engine is going to scream the v10 loves to rev. Have a great trip!!!
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Just press the Tow/Haul button and let it do its thing.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gt5liter View Post
So in a week I will start my voyage from Indiana to California. I plan on going down to 40 and heading straight out. I am however new to the motorhome and even when I had my truck and 5er I never went over mountains, always stayed pretty local. So I have been reading some things about mountain driving but have questions more geared to those of you with the new 6 speed. If anyone has been through the mountains, what gear are you using to keep you slowed down? With my trip coming up soon, I'm sure I will be asking a lot more questions. Thanks, I have already learned a ton on here.
I don't have any experience with the coach in the mountains yet, but I can tell you of an experience with my FJ Cruiser on Pikes Pike in Colorado.

Before I purchased the FJ we were extensive motorcycle touring people and had been up Pikes Pike twice. Descending was easy because of manual shift.

Last Sept. we were in Colorado and went up Pikes Pike in the FJ. Because it is an automatic, I was very concerned about the brakes. Upon our descent (speed limit is 15mph) I started off in 2nd gear, and rolled down (adjusting between 2nd & 3rd as needed).

At the half-way point upon decsent there is a guard that checks the temperature of your brakes with a heat gauge. If you are too hot, he makes you park and cool off. He pointed to many cars parked in the lot.

When I approached the guard, he checked my brakes and said, "Congratulation, If I had and award to issue to someone today for best driving, I would gladly give it to you". He said the temp on my brakes were under 200 degrees.

I don't know if an RV transmission would work the same way as my Toyota FJ cruiser, but that's the story. Hope it helps you in some way
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

We drove ours the the Eastern Continental Divide, and had no issues. No more screaming engine with the 6 speed! We ran at around 60 MPH and it seldom shifted going up hill, & the downhill engine braking was great.

The 6 speed gave us an average of 10.2 MPG, and we were VERY happy... Oh, and much less engine noise! You'll love it!

Be safe and have fun!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Ok thanks! I had read on some of the other forums of the 6 speed not having as good engine breaking.
86gt5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

Actually, the 6 speed seemed to do better with the engine braking. I guess because it didn't down-shift as much... it slowed it down nicely, but it was no where as near as loud as our old 5 speed was.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote