Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

New to us Seneca 37TS

So we struck a deal with another member on here to purchase their 2018 37TS. Two weeks ago I flew from Texas to Ohio and picked it up. Have spent the last two weeks fixing all the stuff that Jayco did wrong or didn't do at all. Finally got a chance to wash it today. Got it packed up and ready to hit the road Sat for the first trip in it.
Attached Thumbnails
coach.jpg  
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

Congratulations, you will love your TS. We are winter Texans and have spent the past 4 winters in Texas in our TS. Love the TS and Texas
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Enjoy! Sorry we couldn't meet up before you left Ohio, would have been fun. We might have passed on the road to/from Texas however! And we had a great time visiting Texas ourselves, look forward to going back. Bonham area was great.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #4

[QUOTE=jtad;733804Have spent the last two weeks fixing all the stuff that Jayco did wrong or didn't do at all.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! You’ll love it! Don’t worry, you’ll keep finding stuff to fix for a while longer.. Have a great first trip.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:39 AM   #5

Great rig to have fun in and see this big beautiful country. So much to experience and so little time. Even living in Vermont we spend at least one or two nights in our ts every month. Use it as extra guest rooms year round.
Enjoy and save travels.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Congratulations from Bowling Green OH. Maybe we will meet on the road someday.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #7

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #8

Welcome to the Seneca family... We love ours, and still fix, mod, upgrade certain little things as we go...

and speaking of go - I'm thinking we are heading out a little prematurely, but will be taking a trip to Minnesota for a few weeks... Twin Cities will be our home for three weeks starting April 1st. Let's hope that spring starts early this year!!! it was -13F overnight last week.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Welcome to the Seneca family... We love ours, and still fix, mod, upgrade certain little things as we go...

and speaking of go - I'm thinking we are heading out a little prematurely, but will be taking a trip to Minnesota for a few weeks... Twin Cities will be our home for three weeks starting April 1st. Let's hope that spring starts early this year!!! it was -13F overnight last week.

Our grandkids live in MN so that's where were heading but not that early.
Most campgrounds don't open till May 1, I hope your not planning on staying in your Seneca.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #10

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your new Seneca 37TS!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #11

Congrats! Welcome to the Seneca family. You are now a Senecan.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Our grandkids live in MN so that's where were heading but not that early.
Most campgrounds don't open till May 1, I hope your not planning on staying in your Seneca.
Yes we will be... we have camped in our Seneca with +5 weather before.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #13

Congratulations

Enjoy the new rig!
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #14

Congratulations and welcome to the Big Seneca family. We love our 37K. Good luck on finding spring in Minnesota. Do you have the upgraded Truma AquaGo Comfort in your rig? I need to do the upgrade as Jayco in its wisdom put in the basic model. Will be up toward the Great White North early this year and need the protection of the water system. Lots of good advice here.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #15

I called Truma last week and they shipped me the parts to upgrade my Truma Comfort to a Comfort Plus. Now I can do decalaficatons myself and do not have to have the dealer do it. All I needed was a new circuit board, cable, control dial and gromet. Cost, plus tax and shipping about 300 bucks. Sure beats taking it to the dealer once a year.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
I called Truma last week and they shipped me the parts to upgrade my Truma Comfort to a Comfort Plus. Now I can do decalaficatons myself and do not have to have the dealer do it. All I needed was a new circuit board, cable, control dial and gromet. Cost, plus tax and shipping about 300 bucks. Sure beats taking it to the dealer once a year.
Interesting, I had contacted Truma to upgrade my Truma Basic in our Seneca to the Comfort model and they gave me the part numbers and cost and the contact to order the parts. When I ordered the parts, I got an email back saying that they could NOT sell me the parts to do it myself and it would have to be installed by a specially trained technician. I contacted the closest Truma dealer and the first thing they said was “that can’t be done, you have to install a new comfort model”....really, specially trained technician??? Contacted Truma again and they still refused to sell me the parts so I had to go through the dealer. With all that, it was worth the $500 to have it upgraded, having the Eco and Comfort settings and being able to do decalcification myself. The hot water gets to the tap much faster now.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Interesting, I had contacted Truma to upgrade my Truma Basic in our Seneca to the Comfort model and they gave me the part numbers and cost and the contact to order the parts. When I ordered the parts, I got an email back saying that they could NOT sell me the parts to do it myself and it would have to be installed by a specially trained technician. I contacted the closest Truma dealer and the first thing they said was “that can’t be done, you have to install a new comfort model”....really, specially trained technician??? Contacted Truma again and they still refused to sell me the parts so I had to go through the dealer. With all that, it was worth the $500 to have it upgraded, having the Eco and Comfort settings and being able to do decalcification myself. The hot water gets to the tap much faster now.
Very interesting Rusty. I had heard somewhere else that Truma wouldn't send the kit for self install. I mean really! Remember this is a German company! I need to get it done. I have a local RV dealer (not the one I bought my Seneca From) who is only authorized Truma dealer around here. Hopefully I don't have to pay a California bonus to get it done. Going to be in Yellowstone before Memorial day and South Dakota. I'm following your bay heat duct work and tank warmer info close. Keep posting.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #18

My Truma was a Comfort series and not the Basic. Perhaps that’s why they sold me the parts. First I just wanted to buy the decalifation kit but they would not sell it to me.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #19

My 2018 Seneca came with the Truma Basic, which I thought was the first year they switched from the Girard to Truma. I had a Truma dealer upgrade mine to the Comfort so that I could decalcify myself. It was explained to me there was no upgrade to the Comfort Plus as that was a factory option due to the recirculating water lines.

I did not have the controller installed inside as there was an additional cost and I did not see the need. I keep it on the Comfort mode and set the switch on the heater in the outside compartment, where I can switch between Comfort and Eco, if desired. Once a year when I decalcify, I hook up the controller switch directly to the heater and remove when process is complete.

Overall I am very happy with the Truma and happy I upgraded to the Comfort.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #20

I too had to pay someone for work that I could have done myself. As it was I had to help the guy to speed up the work. He was trying to figure out how to do some of the steps and I showed him some ways to help such as rerouting the propane feed from the side to the back of the unit.
What Jayco supplied is the basic unit. No controls and requires service center to decalcify. New is $200 less than comfort with No freeze protection

Comfort model has a control panel, circulation pump, and new circuit board and decalcify can be done by customer. Has several additional options, freeze protection, Eco mode which fires up one when flow is sensed and comfort mode which keeps the Heater at 110'f so it saves a few seconds heating up. To upgrade you have to buy the $200 parts and then pay 1.5-2.5 hours of labor unless you can get them to send you the parts.

Comfort plus uses the pump added in the comfort package to recirculate the water through the hot water lines in the coach back to the heater. This results in hot water at fixtures all the time. For some reason they will not supply the parts, primarily so they have a product they can sell to oems.

Going with what several others on here did, I have made an adaptation by adding a solenoid on my hot water line and prior to using the hot water I hit the button and the water circulates through the heater back to the fresh water tank. Thus within 1-2 seconds of turning the faucet on the water is hot.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote