Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Noisy Tankless HWH

Is anyone else's Tankless annoyingly loud? Mine has always been this way and I have accepted this.... It makes me wonder if I'm the only one, though. I installed some vibration-absorbing material on the sheetmetal surfaces, which quieted it significantly, however it's still loud enough to be heard over the generator or A/C when in-use.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Is anyone else's Tankless annoyingly loud? Mine has always been this way and I have accepted this.... It makes me wonder if I'm the only one, though. I installed some vibration-absorbing material on the sheetmetal surfaces, which quieted it significantly, however it's still loud enough to be heard over the generator or A/C when in-use.
Assuming you have a Girard, the only real noise ours made was the "whoosh" when the burner lit, and a small hum with the cooling fan.

We had the fan get rather noisy once and after a call to Girard (NOT our dealer or Jayco), they shipped us a new/refurb unit. Their support has been great and you might want to consider giving them a call.

https://greenrvproducts.com/pages/how-can-we-help or call them at 1.866.559.1221
Old 04-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

Girard Gen II here as well. As mentioned the burner woosh is pretty loud and rumbly. It resonates on a low frequency that can be heard a long ways off. The fan is noisy, but other than that - no. Nothing especially loud.

Something weird did happen this last trip out: after one use, the WH started a loud knock about once every 2 - 3 seconds. And wouldn't stop.

I called Tech Support, left a message but didn't hear back. However I made it stop by turning on the hot water spigot for a minute, then off.

Also, I've noticed that our unit knocks or rumbles if the Hot Spigot is opened mid-way or less. Our unit is quiet-er when the Hot Tap is opened full.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Pconroy, thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one with the noise as your description matches the sounds I'm hearing, perfectly.
I'll continue in my efforts to treat the symptoms. -Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to dig deeper for a bigger problem.