Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Not happy

Schwintek. The name means 'headache'. The first failure in our February 2015 new Seneca 37FS was in Washington after getting it in to travel and second this weekend while boondocking in Quartsite, AZ. I'm no engineer, but 2 geared motors the size of a Ballpark frank to move a 16 foot x 30 inch slideout seems optimistic. Not a year old and 3-1/2 weeks for an appointment with the selling dealer to look. This may be camel-back breaking.

RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
Schwintek.I'm no engineer, but 2 geared motors the size of a Ballpark frank to move a 16 foot x 30 inch slideout seems optimistic. .
Winnie uses it on a "Full wall" slide, so JAYCO is not alone.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Schwintek has apparently upgraded their stuff before 2015 to a heavier duty gearing and motors. No, this is very unfortunate to hear that they installed the Schwintek stuff. Check to see if they have a heavier duty upgrade. These full wall slide really need some heavy duty stuff to handle the weight and bulk.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

There are Schwintek slide classes for technicians, you might want to attend one. I would if I had a Schwintek slide.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

I too have a Schwintek slide, but the slide is only maybe a foot wider than the width of a queen bed. If it were any wider I wouldn't have bought the MH I did. The wall w/ the couch and dinette on it is a Power Gear.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #6

The coach is a 2014 purchased new in Feb 2015. Probably the lightweight motors. 'Don't mean to be a wuss, but the coach has had multiple repairs and WEEKS (total to months) in the shop for other issues beyond owner fixable. The patience exhibited by the members of this forum is commendable, but how many hundreds of thousands are you expected to spend before you buy a properly constructed product? I built high-end custom homes and would have starved with the RV industry quality and service.
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

"The patience exhibited by the members of this forum is commendable, but how many hundreds of thousands are you expected to spend before you buy a properly constructed product? I built high-end custom homes and would have starved with the RV industry quality and service."

The path you are putting words to is logical on the face, but irrelevant. These are products that are customized converted products (like cobbling together everything at Costco), targeted to a low knowledge impatient buyer with good credit, caught in a dream, who doesn't appreciate the complexity of the coach, and buys on first impression. And there are plenty of buyers, so why should the industry change? Credit their excellent marketing, cute reviews, excellent marketing materials, and the ignorance of first time buyers.

My wife was just like that yesterday, impressed by what she could see and oblivious to what was behind, underneath, and on top of the patina of the unit. But she had me alongside of her to gently bring her out of her dream state.

You are the quality control part of the industry and usually discover the issues often well after you sign and take the unit off the lot. This is an expensive optional toy that breaks a lot from all the earthquakes you subject it to.

Worst, you don't have lemon laws to protect you so you are in the zzzz as soon as you take it. Most happy owners learn to live with this and tend to move to the best "word of mouth quality" units they can afford to minimize their suffering, and fix as much of this as they can on their own.

The most savvy buyers, as I understand it, actually buy used premium units for the most part. New to used prices fall faster than snow (nice word - snow!).

I have attempted to deploy as many nice words as possible!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

RodgerS:

I, for one, appreciate your knowledge, ability to help us gently out of our dream state, and willingness to deploy nice words. Thank you.

Sherm
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Just when I'm ready to take the plunge from my paid for, perfect (after I've fixed everything) Jayco travel trailer into a new Class C you guys bring me back from Lala land.
I can't thank you enough.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #10

My 'C' is in for warranty work as I type. I got my first full season of it under my belt, and the things that were 'wrong' were small things that could wait a season for attention. I'm thoroughly pleased with mine.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote