Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Our First MH, Upgrades and first (disastrous) Trip...

2018 22J bought new last August (2019). Dealer installed a Furion oven (at no charge). My wife likes to bake and the dealer wanted to sell it.

I paid for the self leveling jacks because I hate playing with foot square Legos!

First upgrade was POS radio, no sense having a back up camera if you can't see the display! Went with a Pioneer.

Yes I am a lazy, GOF with COPD!

Wife likes her soaps, so Dish Network with a King portable, signal finding dish was installed on the roof. Included the removable mount, tripod and 2x50' of cable for treed sites. Two Wally receivers, one for the front and one for the bedroom.

Installing a 24" LED TV on the wall in the bedroom at eye height while sleeping or sitting on the bed. Adding a 3'x 8" folding shelf below the TV for wireless keyboard, mouse and other goodies.

Then I added a flip up counter extension by the sink so the wife has a little more space.

First trip out (last October) everything worked great, except for the return home. Stopped for gas, passed out for 26 hours and woke up in a hospital's IC unit. Apparently, walking pneumonia got the better of me. During that time, my wife came down with bronchitis and had to relocate to a hotel because the Northern California fires put our house off limits! Got out in 10 days but couldn't go home.

After a 100 mile cab ride, I, along with my walker and oxygen tanks, joined my wife at the hotel. Four days later, our friends picked us up and we got to go home.

Two months after many trips to the doctor and every test imaginable, I got off the oxygen and walker. Four months later, with a different diet, I was able to regain my weight and strength. I now keep up with my meds and treadmill-walk 1/2 to 1 mile a day at 2 mph.

Needless to say, my wife is not impressed with our initial motorhome experience but, we are working on that and I am looking forward to our next trip.
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience. Your health is priority one, so I hope you recover and come back stronger. Regarding your coach, I say you call your next trip, "trip #1", and go from there. Hope you start great memories from here on out. Good health; good luck; and, Happy Trails!!!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #3

My FIL had what we can only assume was extreme altitude sickness while he and MIL were traveling in their MH once. He went to the local hospital where his illnesses were completely misdiagnosed, he was administered drugs that were KNOWN to have severe interactions with ones he was currently on (MIL carries a list to hand the medical professionals just in case). He basically slipped into a coma. DW and her brother ended up taking my Jeep and hauling butt out to get them and bring them and their rig home. They made a mess of that rig too. I spent 2 days cleaning and disinfecting while he recovered in our local hospital. It was months before they could set foot in that rig again.

But eventually they got back at it and eased back into RVing.

I agree that you should count your NEXT trip as the "maiden voyage"!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmsNMar View Post
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience. Your health is priority one, so I hope you recover and come back stronger. Regarding your coach, I say you call your next trip, "trip #1", and go from there. Hope you start great memories from here on out. Good health; good luck; and, Happy Trails!!!
Thank you for the response! I agree our next trip should be #1 although, with the current conditions, it is difficult to say when that will be .
Old 03-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My FIL had what we can only assume was extreme altitude sickness while he and MIL were traveling in their MH once. He went to the local hospital where his illnesses were completely misdiagnosed, he was administered drugs that were KNOWN to have severe interactions with ones he was currently on (MIL carries a list to hand the medical professionals just in case). He basically slipped into a coma. DW and her brother ended up taking my Jeep and hauling butt out to get them and bring them and their rig home. They made a mess of that rig too. I spent 2 days cleaning and disinfecting while he recovered in our local hospital. It was months before they could set foot in that rig again.

But eventually they got back at it and eased back into RVing.

I agree that you should count your NEXT trip as the "maiden voyage"!

Maiden Voyage it will be, whenever it will be safer to do so.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #6

Hi, and welcome. I also have the 22j and would like a pic of the extension you made in the kitchen? Also, what Pioneer radio did you go with? If we don't get into a total travel ban we'll be selling our house and taking the RV from Washington State to NY State, hopefully in May.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Hi, and welcome. I also have the 22j and would like a pic of the extension you made in the kitchen? Also, what Pioneer radio did you go with? If we don't get into a total travel ban we'll be selling our house and taking the RV from Washington State to NY State, hopefully in May.
Thanks pward! I didn't make the extension, I bought the one from Camco:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Oak-Acc.../dp/B000EDQQJM

The Pioneer is:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6328679

I took advantage of the BestBuy installation.

Good luck with your travels .
Old 03-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Thanks Soul. Had the 22j out today to dewinterize and drive around a bit. Thanks for the links.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote