Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #21

First off Congrats on your new RV. Too bad I didn't know as we are getting ready to sell our 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. Things you'll want to purchase: For the Exterior, a really good surge protector (~$250-300), possibly a dog bone to use if need to go from a 50AMP shore line to your 30AMP RV electrical cord, a marine grade water hose for your fresh water hook up, a water pressure regulator to insure not to much pressure running through lines, a right angle to connect fresh water line to RV (doesn't kink water line hose), a blue water filter to connect to shore water line, a black water hose and rubber gloves, wheel covers and A/C cover, an essential tool kit with sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc., a couple of bungee cords, an exterior rug, chairs, little fold up table. For the Interior: Toaster, Crock pot, Pots/pans, silverware, cups, plates, bowls, coffee pot, paper towel holder, small collapsible trash can, etc. I think everything I have named here we bought on Amazon and a few things from the RV dealer. Hope this helps you get started.
JD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #22

Congratulations and WElcome! We have a 17 29 MV and we love the floorplan and have had no major issues. My advice: It is easy to run out a buy all kinds of neat stuff. WE did and don't use or need half of it. You need hoses and a surge protector and a water regulator for the safety of your vehicle but go slow, stay close to home and camping stores etc for a while and get only what you find you really need. Be careful about the advice you get everywhere. WE use our manual and our good relationship with the parts and service guy at our dealer. WE ask lots of questions of folks at campgrounds and also are part of "the Flock" a facebook group for Hawk owners. It's fun but again be careful about taking advice from folks who "know" too much! Just my two cents...

Oh and I didn't read all the posts but watch your weight carrying capacity...have fun!!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #23

My response was our compilation of camping over 3 1/2 seasons. Pretty much covered everything we needed in first two seasons. I definitely understand the weight issue and have no problem, just put everything upfront.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #24

And I'm definitely not a "know" too much.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #25

Sorry if you took that personally, my post was intended for the original poster, I hadn't even read yours...
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #26

No worries, I thought you were replying to my post.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #27

Take somebody you know that allready has a RV with you to help look the new rig over. If this person is reel picky about things this will be even better. Maybe somebody that you know that camps regularly. It’s your $ Money so do not let the Dealer rush or push you .Do this inspection BEFORE you sign any papers, this way the Dealer will do most anything you want him to. Look on the roof also.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #28

Congratulations on the new RV. We are a couple months ahead of you....we picked up our Greyhawk 30XP July 5th in Hammond Louisiana and drove it back home to Reno Nevada...about 2100 miles. We got to break it in on the trip home...stopping for a few days here and there. I thought the MH handled pretty well....I never felt like it was out of control even in high winds...but after following the forums for a few weeks I started looking at upgrading the Front sway bar and steering stabilizer. My logic was I plan to have this MH for a long time. It handles OK now but if I can make it way better then it will be that much more less stressful and enjoyable to drive. I have to admit it handles way better than before. The upgrades were relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to install. The other thing I did was add solar and modified one of the outside storage compartments to hold 2 big batteries that weighed over 100 pounds each. I don't know how you will be using your MH but we dry camp mostly....we go to ultralight flying events and typically camp at the airport or airfield for 3 to 5 days at a time. Without solar you would need your generator running most of the time. If you plan on dry camping a fair amount do your self a favor and install a solar panel and possibly some higher capacity batteries. Enjoy your new Greyhawk

James
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
Congratulations and WElcome! We have a 17 29 MV and we love the floorplan and have had no major issues. My advice: It is easy to run out a buy all kinds of neat stuff. WE did and don't use or need half of it. You need hoses and a surge protector and a water regulator for the safety of your vehicle but go slow, stay close to home and camping stores etc for a while and get only what you find you really need. Be careful about the advice you get everywhere. WE use our manual and our good relationship with the parts and service guy at our dealer. WE ask lots of questions of folks at campgrounds and also are part of "the Flock" a facebook group for Hawk owners. It's fun but again be careful about taking advice from folks who "know" too much! Just my two cents...

Oh and I didn't read all the posts but watch your weight carrying capacity...have fun!!
This is a really good point IMO. I've read a few people mention how much they've learned from my posts. And I'm flattered, really.

But PLEASE don't take my posts or information as gospel (or any one else's for that matter). Do your own research and find the truth/data/facts yourself. I'm happy to share my knowledge and experience, but I fully expect people to verify on their own what's being shared, and to use forum posts as a guide in that process.

At the end of the day, the information I share comes from MY experience. YMMV!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRV4me View Post
Hi. After a lot of talk over the past three years, visiting our local RV show, dealerships, time on the web, and renting a few RVs this summer, we are finally jumping in to owning our first RV. We will be picking up a 2019 Greyhawk 29MV next week. We are definitely newbies and eager to learn. As we get ready, what are the things we should put on our list of must haves to purchase that don't come standard with a new motorhome? Thanks!
Torque wrench for wheels, water pressure regulator, extra water hose, basic tool kit, tire pressure gauge, 110v air pump, extension cord, zip ties and of course Duct tape.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #31

We went from tent to pop up twice and after numerous problems with the second one being in and out of the RV shop we sold it for a TT and ended up with a second one a year ago last August. Bunk model 21 foot. Love it. All the comforts of home. Only smaller. Now I am looking at workamping. Good luck. It is so much fun with a new TT and all the things you can to do make it look and feel like home.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #32

Thank you to everyone that replied! We are learning tons! We spent two nights near the dealer before bringing it home. Minor issues that we missed during the pdi (our fault), but working on those. We have two camping trips planned here in Colorado before we park it for the winter. We have sanitized and now winterized ourselves. Whew! Hopefully, we'll get quicker with time! We are definitely entertainment for our neighbors! Ha! Researching how to safely use the toilet while camping in cold temps... (20'S at night) If we can't, we're camping anyway! It's still more comfortable than a tent! Thanks again!
NewRV4me is offline   Reply With Quote