Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #1

Ready Brute elite towing system

We are almost ready to spend a lot of money to tow our 2017 equinox, but would like to keep costs as low as safely possible. If we use the Ready Brute we get both tow bar and breaking system and save 4-600 dollars. Would like good and bad reviews of those who use this
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

Have towed our Jeep JKU thousands of miles with the ReadyBrute and love. So fast and simple to hook up and disconnect in minutes and have very good braking. Probably a little more work to install but once its done its great.
Attached Thumbnails
67808136_670963893372174_6922226489207291904_n.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

We tow a 16 Wrangler JK with the redi- brake and blue ox towbar about 7500 miles so far, love it!
If I had it to do again I would definitely get the redi brute with the brake integrated in the towbar like your looking at.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

We are towing a 2019 Equinox with the Ready Brute Elite system using a Roadmaster baseplate. I installed the baseplate, brake cable, light wiring and battery charge line myself. All in for less than $2K. We are very pleased with the setup. As others have said, easy and quick to hook up. The Equinox rows great and so far, life is fine.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks, glad to hear that Mike. We are in Canada so it’s a bit more and DH nor I are that handy so it will cost that for the install. It just makes more sense to have one unit not tow bar and separate brake system.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

We run a ReadyBrute with our 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk and Greyhawk 31DS. Our set up is with BlueOx baseplate and tabs. Did it myself for less than $2K as noted.

It has been an easy and effective towing system and I like that it is just hook up and go without any wiring considerations for a braking system.

A couple of things to watch for.

1) After a couple of years, I am seeing a bit of chaffing on the brake cable where it connects to the braking arm on the motorhome side. Not really an issue as of now, but if I see cables begin to fray, I will replace it....they are not that expensive. I may think about a small cable wrap of some type like they use on race car hoses and cables, but again....two years and some of the plastic is missing but no cable issues.

2) The second issue I have a beef with ReadyBrute about. They claim that they do not supply the angled 1/2" pins that connect the Clevis to the Blue Ox base plate. Despite me showing them that they did in their own promo's. These angled pins begin to round out the aluminum clevis holes very aggressively over time. The solution is visiting a Farm supply or Tractor store and buy pins with the flat shoulders. I bought Grade 8 for $3.80 each and the problem is solved, but for the life of me I don't know why they don't just supply them (they sell them on their online store for $8 each). They claim the angled ones were just for temporary use, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Beyond that we just finished a 7K mile coast to coast and back trip towing with this system and the set up was something I never worried about the whole trip.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #7

We have had the Ready Brute Elite tow bar for over two years. In my opinion, it is a cleverly designed system, but it is not completely trouble free. Before our last trip, we noticed that the cable loop (is it called thimble?) where the breakaway cable connects to car was broken and had worked itself back into car. Also, the plastic bumper pulls out some when the ready brake cable is activated and pulls the thimble forward. Our toad is a Honda CR-V and I wonder whether it is a good choice for their system, although the owner said they've successfully done several installations on CR-Vs. The upshot is we will have to take our motorhome and toad back to Iola, Kansas to be worked on. I don't know what others do who live in states far away. Perhaps there are installers nearby to correct any problems. The Ready Brake system is a good one, but it requires upkeep like other motorhome products and accessories.
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
We are towing a 2019 Equinox with the Ready Brute Elite system using a Roadmaster baseplate. I installed the baseplate, brake cable, light wiring and battery charge line myself. All in for less than $2K. We are very pleased with the setup. As others have said, easy and quick to hook up. The Equinox rows great and so far, life is fine.
We are also considering the Ready Brute Elite II brake system. What is actually required to install? We are purchasing the baseplate for our 2016 Fiat 500 from trailer but they don’t carry the Ready Brute. Amazon shows add on wiring & then someone mentioned blue ox clevis. Auto body going to install baseplate but not RV guys ( can’t find anyone near us interested in installing)! Appreciate any light you can shed on my understanding of this system. I watched the video on system & looks easy to install what am I missing?
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

We pull a 2007 4 door wrangler with the ready brute II and I am happy with the performance. Easy wouldn't be the way I would describe the installation but it wasn't all that difficult either. Watch the videos and read all the instructions for a good understanding and decide if you want to tackle it. I took a day for the base plate, a day for the ready brute brake cable and emergency break away cable, and a day for the toad rear lamp wiring. I went pretty slow and would imagine most would complete it much quicker.
RedhawkRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #10
TOS

Ready Brute Elite used here for about 1 year. Towing Wrangler TJ with no real issues sofar.
Recommend that you cover it from dirt and moisture when not in use. Had a problem with left tow arm not wanting to lock easily. Just had some grime and such in the telescoping part...Nothing that a little WD40 couldn't fix.
Good Luck