Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
Cj2

Remove entertainment center and replace with bed

I own a 2005 Jayco granite ridge 31ss. I am thinking about removing the entertainment center up in the bunk area and replace it with a bed to add sleeping in our RV. Has anyone done this before and if so can you buy the actual bed that would typically go up there from the manufacture or do you have to make it yourself? Thanks in advance for any help or answers.
Cj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj2 View Post
I own a 2005 Jayco granite ridge 31ss. I am thinking about removing the entertainment center up in the bunk area and replace it with a bed to add sleeping in our RV. Has anyone done this before and if so can you buy the actual bed that would typically go up there from the manufacture or do you have to make it yourself? Thanks in advance for any help or answers.
Have to ask, why do you want to do this? A MH is use to travel, relax, eat, and sleep. Adding a bed [vs a fold out couch] will take up a large portion of the multi use space in the main area. It will impact seating and eating space and leave you with less space to simply relax. Sounds to me you are wanting to convert it to maximize sleeping options. I'm sure you can do it, but it would seem to me that there are better options than installing an additional bed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Do you mean the remove over-cab entertainment center and put back the over-cab bunk?

If so, I'd probably look at see what are there on the cab sides for support.

If it looks feasible, I'd make something.
You'd have to put some thought into the platform so it'll be rigid yet light.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
Cj2

Yes I am talking about removing the overcab entertainment center and putting a bunk up there so are kids can sleep up there and we don’t have to mess with the couch or dinette table. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

The only issue will probably the wiring that comes out of the ceiling.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Cj2

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know about all the wiring and I’m am actually thinking about putting the tv in the front corner of the bunk on the passenger side. I guess I should have clarified my question a little bit better. My main question is can you buy the bunk beds online or do you have to build them yourself? I haven’t had any luck online where I can buy them. I am just wanting to buy the big section of the bunk not the small one that is in the front that you can lift up.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
My main question is can you buy the bunk beds online or do you have to build them yourself? I haven’t had any luck online where I can buy them. I am just wanting to buy the big section of the bunk not the small one that is in the front that you can lift up.
Never seen "bunk beds" in the cabover. It's normally a single double or queen bed with a folding mattress and plywood insert so you can access the front seats during travel.

You may find the mattress at Factory RV Surplus in Elkhart.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

I have an 08 GH 31ss that has the entertainment center with some storage cabinets on each side (TV in center) and has a slide out bed that one child could sleep in, maybe 2 if small kids. It's possible to convert if you could find a junked Class C with this option.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
Cj2

Yes I’m not actually talking about bunk beds. I was calling the cab over the bunk. I use to own a class C with the bed. The one I just bought has the entertainment center and I would like to replace it with putting a bed up there. I am just wandering if you can buy the beds or if it’s something you have to build? Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #10

Really nothing to build, the bed is just the plywood that is over the cab with a mattress on it. The entertainment center is just built on that plywood base.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Cj2

Ok thanks. I was thinking it was longer than a regular queen size mattress.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

I think if you build the platform (or have it built by a small, local cabinet shop) you get to pick the size.

Ours is a queen up there. We use queen sheets. But I've seen new Class C's with a pull out twin that "peacefully coexists" with the newer, slimmer entertainment centers.

If there's room and you can deal with something smaller, then maybe take a peek at some of these class C's that have a twin up there. Might save you from tearing out the cabinets.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #13

I know this is an old thread but I hope to resurrect it.
My 31FS does not have the entertainment center and I think I want to change the front bunk into it. I see the floor, the bed platform, is removable and the existing cutout looks like the cutout for the entertainment center but I was wondering what else was involved in the project. I'm curious what size TV is usually up there too.And does anyone have any pictures of the center I could see.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #14

I Googled it and found some pictures. It looks like the bed slides under the entertainment cabinet. Looks reasonable easy to build and you only loose a bit of sleeping space. It even looks like the front mattress could be used for the sliding bed, with a bit of refitting.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #15

Does anyone know the size of the TV that goes with the entertainment center? I haven't started building iit yet but was curious if a 55 or 60 would fit in the height, 27 and 30 inch respectively. The width can be adjusted by the size of the cabinets.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I hope to resurrect it.
My 31FS does not have the entertainment center and I think I want to change the front bunk into it. I see the floor, the bed platform, is removable and the existing cutout looks like the cutout for the entertainment center but I was wondering what else was involved in the project. I'm curious what size TV is usually up there too.And does anyone have any pictures of the center I could see.
Hello sir,

I want to remove my entertainment center and add a bed. My MH is a Fleetwood 31m 2005 year, if you google 31m and tioga you usually will find one with this option. I definitely am going to remove my center and replace with a bed, I have the same question as to where to find the pre-fab fold down bed and padding. I don't want to remove until I have that squared away, but if we could arrange i'd love to swap!
jmr1176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #17

I would love that trade but we couldn't be further apart if we tried, opposite coasts.

My bed is more of a pull out than a fold out. It pulls out from under the entertainment center. The attached link, if it works, is kind of like what I envision the one in mine would look like.

https://www.hayesrv.com/uploads/inve...S-6283-726.jpg