Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #1

Question Roof solar panels on 29MV "C"

Curious if anyone has installed solar panels, controller, extra batteries, etc. into/onto the 29MV? Mine is a 2015 model. If you have "let's talk!"
Dave T WA State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Also interested. Especially what panel(s) used and how they are mounted.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

I can't say that I did install them on my 31DS, but I got all prepared to do that. Bought two panels from Costco a couple of years ago, put in two 6v sealed batteries to replace the one 12V, but decided to not do a permanent install, so instead set about hinging the two 100W panels together joined with a WindyNation 30 amp controller. I have the batteries set up to accept the panels input, but also have aligator clips so I can charge other batteries. Set it up like a "suitcase".....a really big suitcase. That said, I bought all of the stuff and the only remaining task was deciding where to drill through the roof and running the cables. Oh...why did I stop??? My kids started telling me they want to buy my 31DS when the son-in-law finishes residency, so I will wait on the panels for whatever my next unit is. Plus, I can use it to charge up other family members from the same array when we dry camp together (and they don't have a genset).
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

Following.

I've been thinking a solar setup might be pretty nice for our rig. We don't boondock much, so it wouldn't have to be a big or elaborate system, but it sure would be nice to ensure the battery(ies) stay charged up.

I know I at least want to upgrade the battery bank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Upgrading the battery system seems to be the big issue for many of us. Jayco's in this date range seem to be designed for one battery. That's just not going to put a big dent in a Solar initiative.

Someone here, reinforced the compartment next to the battery and plunked a couple more in there and then ran wires. With three or four batteries, investing in Solar starts to make a little more sense to me.

With one battery, I'd probably just do a single 100 watt panel (or two) in a suitcase arrangement.

I can't see the value in plunking 400 watts on the roof to freshen one Group 27.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

You are absoluately correct. Battery upgrade is paramount. With my 12V OEM I could barely make it through the night with the furnace running. Now (with two 6V in series) I get about 2.5 days, depending on furnace utilization. Big difference. If I fun the genset it will bring me back up to a days worth of power after and hour run, but to fully charge you need to go several hours. My solar panels will deliver a full 13.6V on an overcast day and the screen measured 5.8 amps when I first hooked it up. After two hours, it was down to 2.5 amps (controller was ramping down the charge), albeit this was on the 12V chassis battery.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T WA State View Post
Curious if anyone has installed solar panels, controller, extra batteries, etc. into/onto the 29MV? Mine is a 2015 model. If you have "let's talk!"
I had a 160W Zamp panel installed on the roof and added a second battery in the compartment next to the battery tray.
Richard & Debby
2018 Jayco Grewhawk Prestige 29 MVP
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #8

I had 2- 100W GoPower flexible panels installed on my '17 29MV which work well for boondocking in warm weather. Unfortunately I only have the one 12v house battery on board. I need to figure out how to upgrade to 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries. One possibility would be to convert a nearby storage compartment to a battery bay.

I tried to post a pic of the panels which didn't seem to work. Here's a link to the pic in our blog.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2dOt9JyGf...909673_HDR.jpg
TheSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

Dual batteries

I think our first step is to replace single 12v with dual 6 volt batteries and figuring out and make mount for second battery on 2018 29xk? Then would lime to have solar installed on roof later also since our rig is already solar ready. Our battery will just barely make it through 8-9 hours during night if we fully charge it right before bed time. Next priority after new spare wheel/tire this month.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

If i can fit a battery in our compartment near slide out battery tray i am going to modify area and route cables with gromets to connect batteries, figure i will only be able to barely afford to do this myself.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #11

I put 6 flex panels (100w each) taped down on the roof with eternabond. Have a 40 amp MPPT controller and replace the original house lead acid battery with 3 AGM 12v 155 ah gel cell batteries. Been using this configuration for almost a year now and love it!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
I put 6 flex panels (100w each) taped down on the roof with eternabond. Have a 40 amp MPPT controller and replace the original house lead acid battery with 3 AGM 12v 155 ah gel cell batteries. Been using this configuration for almost a year now and love it!
Did you run the E-bond around the entire panel? Any trouble with heat or condensation buildup between the panel and the roof?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

After reading these posts, and doing more sleuthing on my '15 29MV, it is obvious that rigs newer than mine have been pre-wired by the factory for potential roof mounted solar panels. One of the photos in this posting shows the factory installed wiring access point next to the bath roof vent pipe.

So getting solar installed on my rig will be a challenge. I have read elsewhere that sometimes the bath vent pipe can be used to route the solar panel wiring down to the battery compartment. But if the vent piping is buried in the interior wall, that will be a challenge. Another possible route would be down the refer vent cavity, into the furnace area below, and then under the coach to the battery compartment on the opposite side. A fair degree of wire loss with that, so the output wattage of the panels would be somewhat compromised.

Then, if more battery capacity is needed, the storage compartment next to the coach battery would have to be strengthened to support extra battery weight. I need to measure the current battery slide-out to see if two golf cart batteries will fit on it.

It's looking like the optimal solution is to buy a solar suitcase (100watt typical) and use it on the ground. Wire in an external connector on the side wall of the coach by the battery compartment, and use about 25' of wire between it and the panels.

Or perhaps mount the fixed panel(s) on the roof, then install a covered wiring chase down the exterior side wall of the coach on the battery side. That would not look real nice, but it could work.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Hi Dave. I have a 160 Watt ZAMP Solar portable and it works great for me. We are not huge power consumers like some folks. Our set up keeps our one group 27 battery charged during the day, when we dry camp, and our fridge, water pump and digital ignitions for HW going all night with some power to spare. Yes, if we run the propane heater all night the battery will be low in the AM. We try to camp in areas that we don't need to use the heater that often. Check out my blog mods page for pictures of the set up.
Cheers and safe travels.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #15

Dave, my 31DS is a 16 and not pre-wired. It can however be done with some thought and creativity. For instance after not being able to use the "Fridge or Vent pipe" routes (fridge is in the slide and vent pipe is no where close) I decided I was going to simply drill into the kitchen floor to ceiling pantry cabinet to run my wire. May use some flexible poly abrasion wrap to keep it in place. They sell the small junction boxes that you seal/screw to the roof over the hole to water proof it (in fact I bought all of these items). In the end, I did not go that route for other reasons.

Now as to your compartments, somewhere on this site I did some images of the battery and adjoining storage compartment where I put my extra battery. I actually got ahold of a Jayco rep (someone at the dealership slipped me the number when they couldn't answer the question) and the poly boxes are rated for something like 80 lbs, so you shouldn't need to reinforce it, but will want to install a tie down with some plates on the bottom of the box to provide load distribution of the tie downs. Mine has been in place for a year an a half and I did a very thorough inspection a couple of weeks ago and see no indication of fatigue. The current battery rack will not accomodate two batteries if it is like mine, and if it did, then I think you would have potential weight issues....but again, i have a different model so YMMV.

The suitcase version is nice as you have more flexibility on where to put it in the sun, but you also have higher theft/damage risk and it takes up some space in your storage, so there are pro's and con's to both set ups.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #16

I've been attracted to the portable panel idea for a while for various reasons. I think I'd like to do a permanent install though because it would be nice not to have to worry about my batteries while the unit is in storage. It's harder to remove the battery from this unit than it was with my trailer, so I find myself leaving it in there all the time instead of taking it with me and putting it on a float charger in the garage.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #17

I am just trying to get better battery time like at night abd having only the one battery is no good, how do those 12v agm batteries hold up with a full charge, everyone is saying i need 6 volt fooded x2 batteries to get good enough for basic dry camping?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #18

Bob...your unit is probably pre-wired for solar mounted to the roof.

Bill....from Ontario...........I looovvvveeeee your blog! So helpful with your photos and descriptions. Glad you are enjoying your new abode, and are getting more time to explore using your rig. We almost bought one like yours, but finally settled on the 29MV due to bathroom counter size and kitchen layout. But your rig has better basement storage space.

And to the other poster....routing cables from roof down through the pantry cabinet next to fridge might be a possibility. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #19

Yes ours is prewired and set up for solar already, just want to start with more house battery time with limited space.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #20

I will be adding LiFePO4 batteries somewhere on the inside of the Coach. Candidate locations are under the dinette seats (close to current battery) or at the rear of the coach in the box on the floor to the left of the bed (close to most of electrical system under bed). I’m looking at Battle Born or LifeBlue batteries. Anyone have any experience with these? Solar panels to come after that.

Frank
Rvorbust is offline   Reply With Quote