Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Second House Battery Box

After a long web search we found info on a Ford frame mounted battery box and assorted parts for same, all new stock. Has anyone ever used these parts? I have a hunch they have not change at all from year to year. We totaled up all the parts and it comes to about $150.00. Now to get under the 2011 Greyhawk to see if it might fit.

http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0

The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #2

Something you may want to consider is the max size of batteries the box will hold. More than likely, these particular boxes are for 12V, and 6V will be too big if you choose to go that direction.

Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

I have a greyhawk also .The box your looking at wont fit a group 27 battery I took the battery to a local welding shop and had one built for 90 dollars it looks factory built . Also jayco had a duel purpose battery installed in it I got two deep cycle batterys the same. Hope this helps
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #4

Its harder than I thought

Looking under the rig its much harder than I thought, let alone not being able to use a group 27. Well on to the next idea what ever that maybe. Thanks for the reply.
The Hawk
Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

I have never messed with a Greyhawk, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...but I have seen some other people talk about the same thing so you are not alone.

Let me ask you this - what are you trying to accomplish? Are you just not getting enough run time, cant run the generator, etc etc - that might stir up some folks into some more ideas for you.

If you just need longer run time, the only thing that comes to mind right now is adding a sealed AGM type battery inside a storage compartment along with the necessary cut offs, etc - but that is going to run $200 to $250 for a 75-100 Ah battery.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

The Second Battery

Thanks for the reply tafishe. I was just looking into not having the run the gen. as often. Thought that this would be simple but as the saying goes the "best laid plans of mice and men"......Looking under the Greyhawk we have cables to reroute and the brake cable is in the way so we will just stay with the one house battery and use the gen. more.
The Hawk
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

That is too bad...odd they dont make provisions for a second battery. I guess they figure most folks will just crank up the gen.

Might look at some other energy saving ideas like going to LED lights,etc which would use much less battery power. Other than adding those AGM batteries, not sure what else you could do? Solar would not be that cost effective of an option with just one battery either.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #8

second battery

Jayco makes a great product and with our new greyhawk we have had no warranty problems what so ever!!!!! So I will just live with the one battery, run the gen. and hope that Jayco reads what we have to say here and looks at it as maybe being an option they could add in the future.
The Hawk
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #9

When all is said and done, running the generator is probably the best and cheapest way to go. Even with two batteries, one doesn't get that many amp hours and neither the microwave nor air conditioner will work for long (just a very few minutes) with two batteries. Also, if you have to use the heater, the heater fan requires more "juice" than you might imagine, as well as other appliances like TVs, etc. For me, the biggest advantage of batteries is when we stop and dry camp for a single night, I plug the CPAP into battery power, via the inverter.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

OK, what's a CPAP?........ newbees here!

Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote