Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Seneca - Flat Tow Rig

Getting ready to drop the bux for a flat towing setup for my (soon to be) Toad.

2018 (M1) Seneca
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

What’s your setup?
WHY is it the best!?

- Roadmaster?
- BlueOx?
- Blackhawk?
- Falcon?
- Stowmaster?
- Somebody else?

** if money wasn’t a concern, what’s the best, heaviest duty setup out there? **

And, are you also using a braking system in the toad? (Understanding it’s likely best practice, but is it required given weight of Jeep versus capabilities of Seneca).

Thanks in advance, and - GO!
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #2

I personally like Blue Ox and aux brakes are not only to help you stop, but to also stop the toad if you have a tow bar failure. Calif requires it if your toad weighs over 3000 lbs.

https://rvibrake.com/pages/flat-towing-law
Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I personally like Blue Ox and aux brakes are not only to help you stop, but to also stop the toad if you have a tow bar failure. Calif requires it if your toad weighs over 3000 lbs.

https://rvibrake.com/pages/flat-towing-law

Thank you!
Blue Ox and Roadmaster are top of the list to research.

Appreciate the link on the braking requirements, makes complete sense, and I am (at least for now) based in CA - I’ll read up!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

Ready Brute Elite II towbar has a built in surge brake. I found it to be an easy install on my Jeeps
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

I use the Roadmaster night hawk light up tow bar. I like the idea of the additional visibility that it provides. While you can get 10000 lb tow bars they can get pretty heavy. I think my unit is about 35 lbs for 8000 lb towing vs the black hawk which is steel and weighs around 65 to 70 lbs
be sure to get non binding, these release easily after towing and you don't have to struggle to get them to retract.

While you barely notice towing a jeep or pickup truck when towing, you certainly can tell when you are towing something without brakes. Stopping distance and pedal effort is significantly greater.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #6

I use the Ready Brute Elite, simple, mechanical braking system that once it’s set up there is nothing to mess with and 5 minutes to hook up.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #7

I use a Roadmaster as the tow set up and a Brake Buddy for braking. We tow a 14 Rubicon with our Redhawk.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #8

we use BlueOx. I like the fact you can have it serviced at rallies or at the factory. They have a free campground with full hookups that you can stay at while it is being serviced.
For breaking in our toad we use SMI Stay/Play Duo.
I like this one because of the 2 factor activation. It will only brake the TOAD if:
1. coach brake lights are on
2. the momentum switch is on
Also I back feed up the electric brake (not used for SMI Duo) and have a light that comes on under my dash to tell me if the TOAD brake peddle is being pushed.
I have heard horror stories about the TOAD brake on while driving.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

Thank for all the great info and suggestions - I knew the answers were here!

I had not heard of the ready brute/readybrake product line - it looks to have serious potential and I like the simplicity on integral braking, I’ll read up on it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #10

I flat tow a JK Sahara with a Blue Ox Alpha and Patriot brake system. Very easy install and it's been working great since 2015.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #11

I'm looking myself and the Roadmaster InvisiBrake looks to be another option worth looking into.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...ake/index.html
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Blue Ox w/ low profile Jeep frame connection, RVI brake system, Mopar wire harness works for us. Easy setup and take down.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz View Post
I'm looking myself and the Roadmaster InvisiBrake looks to be another option worth looking into.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...ake/index.html
The invisibrake is very similar to the SMI Stay/Play Duo that we use. I love it because all we have to do is flip a switch to active the system before we tow and flip it off when we aren't towing. It also has a LED to let you know the brakes are applied just like the Invisbrake. It looks like they are same price too.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #14

Have the InvisiBrake in the Grand Cherokee. I use a Roadmaster universal brake monitor. Been working great for two years and about 8000 miles.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #15

This year we went from a tow dolly for a Cherokee fwd, to flat towing a F150 4x4. Lots of recommendations for Jeep Wrangler (et al Jeeps) and Ford F150 as superior Toads. Has to be a F150/250/350 4x4 though since they has a built in transfer case neutral. The 150 is about 4500 lbs, amazing but only about 50 lbs heavier than the Ranger, but that's aluminum for you. BTW I would strongly recommend it as a Toad, but not a tow vehicle, simply because it is so light.

Went with Roadmaster equipment, BlackHawk 2 towbar, All-terrain, nonbinding RM-422.
https://videos.etrailer.com/static/i...50-rm-422.webm

For braking, installed RM-9160 auxiliary brake system that has an air actuator that depresses the brake pedal proportionally with the air brake applied pressure. Also includes a break-away system the has an air reservoir under the hood if the Toad becomes disconnected. Also a dash red LED lights when the Toad Brake pedal is depressed. Air for supply is tapped into a spare port on one of the Seneca's rear brake pilot valves.

Made a few practice runs, tracks accurately in turns, tows nicely, like "What Toad?" Know I'll be keeping the rear camera on...
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
Thank for all the great info and suggestions - I knew the answers were here!

I had not heard of the ready brute/readybrake product line - it looks to have serious potential and I like the simplicity on integral braking, I’ll read up on it.

Thanks again!
You will find numerous previous threads on this same topic by using the search bar in the gold section at the top of the page. This topic is an oft asked/answered topic.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #17

I also use the NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the integrated mechanical brake. Very easy to setup and you don't need to hassle with a brake system inside the toad.
West Hills, CA
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #18

Just started towing, this year, a '00 XJ w/ Falcon off-road towbar and adapters to direct connect to a JCR Offroad winch bumper's recovery tabs on the XJ. Using the RvIbrake and love it. The iBrake syncs in seconds and the whole process is done in under 3 min. The XJ weighs next to nothing and is a trusty companion!
From a wiring standpoint, the XJ is very simple and was easy to configure with a basic wiring/diode kit from Etrailer. I added a supplemental charging circuit as we tend to be on the road for 8+ hours at a time and want to ensure plenty of juice to run the brake.
Outside of the differences in operating a toad vs. my enclosed trailer (not being able to go backwards whenever I want was an extreme culture shock for me and has resulted in some re-training as to how I plan maneuver in close quarters) I really like it. Not knowing if I was going to like it or not, I cheap'd out on the towbar, hindsight being what it is, I wish I had went with a nicer one that has anti-binding.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

Blue ox and patriot II

I chose a heavier duty model blue ox that matched the Seneca tow capacity so it would always cover whatever I was towing and the patriot II because it could easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle if needed. I have the DW vehicle setup as well as my F150 but prefer to have the F150 because of no towing limitations like DW’s explorer has.

The Patriot II and Blue ox have performed very well including with a very quick stop on our last trip home when a vehicle in front of us lost a wheel.

Should be an easy mod for the wiring on the jeep, I bet e-trailer has what you need.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #20

We have towed with 2 different toads using a Blue Ox tow bar. This is assisted with a Roadmaster 9700 auxiliary braking system. The first 50,000 miles was a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse and the latest toad is a 2018 Silverado pickup. No problems, systems works well and it was chosen because that is what the trailer shop sold when I was looking for a system.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote